Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 04:46 AM

Default Side mount on a 16 foot canoe.

I have a 16 foot canoe from Canadian tire, it is not square back. I have a small outboard 3 hp ...32lbs, could this work on side mount?
Old 08-17-2020, 10:24 AM

I've done it quite a bit in the past. I used two 6" x 8" pieces of 1/2" plywood connected with a couple pieces of webbing that draped over the gunnel. I then put the mount on that so it had a bit more stiffness in the area where the motor was mounted. It helps prevent any damage to the canoe finish as well.

I'm assuming that your motor has a mount that allows a full 360 degree rotation as well. Most small ones do.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-17-2020, 03:23 PM

I found that a light electric motor of the side worked well enough with a board clamped flat to the side as electric can swivel 360 deg.

For a heavier unit like yours at 34lbs, I would swap ends and use the front seat position as the rear seat this is dependent on seat contouring of course I then extended a cross board from Gunwale to Gunwale right behind the now rear seat enough projecting out the side to hang motor on.

For solo fishing its better as weight is further forward you can extend a piece of plywood up wards from X boards to form a seat back for yourself. My 16 ft has the flat plastic mesh seats which at 45 yrs of age let go so I just removed mesh and put 3/4 PT plywood across and mounted light plastic swivel seats.

Downside is a passenger has to sit facing you and therefore is not much help for paddling.