Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Default Winter fly fishing on the Bow

I finally got out last week for my first winter fly fishing adventure. i spent a few hours down by the highway 2 bridge.

I flipped a coin---heads for nymphs and tails for streamers. I flipped heads, and went for my traditional choice: a size 8 stonefly and a size 14 copper john.

I got one bite. The last time I went, I caught 10 nice-sized fish.

Now, I know that the fish will slow down, but that is fairly significant.

There are 2 choices: I have chosen the wrong flies AND/OR there are no fish in the pools that I fished.

I know that I should be targeting slower, deeper water.

Can someone please give me an example of the kind of pool that I should be looking for?

What are you favourite winter flies?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 PM

fish winter in deeper slow moving runs, although I've heard reports that there are still scattered fish around in shallower runs I suspect because of the unusually warm weather?? I'd ditch the stone and run a SJW and size down your nymphs to a 16 or even an 18. on the warmer days keep your eyes open for snouts, still not impossible to get one off the surface. but they'll be taking tiny.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 PM

I don't fish the Bow anywhere near what I used to in the winter, the drive from Edmonton and back gets harder the older you get. However, in our younger days we'd always do well using indicators with a big, copper wire san juan as droppers and small nymphs (prince, pheasant tail, copper johns, etc) as a point fly. Make sure your flies are in the strike zone, your indicator will let you know if you flies are near bottom by going under once or twice during your drift. If it doesn't, adjust your indicator. Pools are where it's at in the winter as this is where the trout will over winter. Look for seams at the head of these pools as the more aggressively feeding trout will be holding here in on the slack water side waiting for food to be rushed down from the riffles. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the insights. You know, my instinct was for the SJW and a smaller fly. Crap. I should have listened to my instincts. It looks like I may have another week of unseasonably warm weather to redeem myself.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM

why are you using size 8 stones? there should be zero size 8 stones around.
if you fish near the shore beside flat rocks(midges) like to migrate there and the browns are never far away. good luck out there i like glenmore trail for winter fishing
Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Fh7, although partially correct. Stones spend a few years in the river. But a size 8 is too big, try some smaller size 10-12 black stone nymphs. Plenty of those around. A good rig right now is a size 10-12 San Juan worm, size 12-14 bh prince nymph, and a size 16-18 chironomid, imitating a midge
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
why are you using size 8 stones? there should be zero size 8 stones around.
if you fish near the shore beside flat rocks(midges) like to migrate there and the browns are never far away. good luck out there i like glenmore trail for winter fishing
Yeah, the stonefly life cycle is 3 years. There are always 'larger' stonefly nymphs in the river. I will use a size 6 during the hatch, but have always good success using an 8 otherwise.

But you are right, there are probably not enough size 8 except closer to the hatch.

Cheers on the location tip.

Last edited by scel; 12-19-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Fh7, although partially correct. Stones spend a few years in the river. But a size 8 is too big, try some smaller size 10-12 black stone nymphs. Plenty of those around. A good rig right now is a size 10-12 San Juan worm, size 12-14 bh prince nymph, and a size 16-18 chironomid, imitating a midge
Would you choose the prince over the chironomid?
I would love to fish with 3 hooks, but I find that I spend too much time untangling.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM

If I had to chose between the two it'd be an even smaller prince nymph. Can be substituted for a pheasant tail nymph or chironomid. If it's not picking anything up 95% of my winter fish come on San
Juans! I've fished 3 san juans in tandem before and caught loads of fish. Just vary their sizes
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 PM

What size and colour do you suggest? I have had limited success with large stone flies except in the summer months
Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM

there can be hatches of winter stones, I usually just fish a 14 black nymph like a black HE or a Zebra CJ when they are on. try it but don't beat it to death, in the winter I go with what I know works, midges, SJW, and streamers
Old 12-19-2011, 10:38 PM

black would be the color of stones. If you chose to use it. I say a smaller prince nymph because it can imitate tons of things. Midge and a san juan is a good bet. That would be what i start out with. Although my rig would be a 3 fly rig involving a size 6 worm (a blood purple/brown), size 12 worm (again browny/purple), size 18 (black) midge.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Just wondering, if anyone else is interested, I'd like to get out and try fly fishing the bow sometime over the next couple months. Let me know if you're interested. Never fished winter on the fly before
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Just wondering, if anyone else is interested, I'd like to get out and try fly fishing the bow sometime over the next couple months. Let me know if you're interested. Never fished winter on the fly before
I am a complete rookie on the bow but am wanting to make a trip or 2 up there this winter to chuck flies. I will let you know if I get a chance to make my way up there.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM

Npauls,

send me a note when you are coming up, maybe we'll be able to get out
Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Good thread. Earliest I've fished the Bow is early April, but I don't think I can wait that long to throw line into water this year (and I'm not into ice fishing). I'll give this a try.

I've tried Policeman's. Any luck there? Not tried end of Glenmore or the 22 bridge before, even though I drive over the latter most days. Which side do you park and access and how do you get down to the river? Seems last time I looked it seemed fenced.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Npauls,

send me a note when you are coming up, maybe we'll be able to get out
Will do.

Would love to get out with an experienced fly fisherman that knows his way around the bow.

I like to chuck flies but don't get out with the fly gear as much as the spinning gear and boat.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Good thread. Earliest I've fished the Bow is early April, but I don't think I can wait that long to throw line into water this year (and I'm not into ice fishing). I'll give this a try.

I've tried Policeman's. Any luck there? Not tried end of Glenmore or the 22 bridge before, even though I drive over the latter most days. Which side do you park and access and how do you get down to the river? Seems last time I looked it seemed fenced.
You can access 22x from Fish Creek Park. There is parking on both sides that is a stone's throw from the river. The west side is accessed through Bow Bottom Trail, and the east is accessed through the Golf course, directly off the north side of 22X.

I'd like to know the easiest access to Glenmore too.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Hi All,

Well, I've fished the Bow at least once a week since April and the last few weeks have provided some fantastic fishing.

Nymphing has produced mostly whitefish, but the odd rainbow and brown will grab your rig. Use heavy setups and get the flies right to the bottom. If your strike indicator is twitching constantly, you're in the right zone. I've been finding fish in as little as 2 feet of water.

Target the "diamond chop". The rainbows are holding near the head, the browns near the tail and the whites are pretty well all over the map. Also, look for the soft water just to the edge of the chop. The browns will be there.

Did I mention lots of weight? USE LOTS OF WEIGHT!

Streamers have been responsible for the BIG fish. 24 inch browns have been a pretty regular occurrence for me. Mostly on the edge of the chop in deeper pools. Floating lines with 10 foot leaders, or sink tips with 2 feet of leader.

I use 3X, and I don't think it would be unwise to use 2X. 4X will simply mean you have to play the fish longer, and in the winter this can be especially harmful to the fish (low metabolisms at this time of year). Bring them in quickly and get them back in the water as fast as you can. I have used 4X for my nymph rigs simply because I find that the nymphs attract mostly whitefish.

I've been fishing Fish Creek, Southland Dog Park, and Glenmore. All have been productive.

scel, best access to Glenmore is actually right off of Glenmore. From Deerfoot, exit EAST on Glenmore Trail. As soon as you get on to Glenmore, get in the right most lane. On your right there is a Courtesy Dodge dealership. TURN RIGHT at this road. There should now be an A&W on your left, and the dealership on your right. TURN LEFT at the next set of lights. Immediately get in your right lane as in less than 20 metres there is a parking lot right underneath the Glenmore trail bridge. Both up and downstream of the bridge have some good fishing.

If you are not approaching from Deerfoot, just make sure to be headed EAST on Glenmore from any point WEST of Deerfoot. I'm not actually sure how to access this lot headed west on glenmore from the east.

Well, I hope some of you get out and have a good time. Dress warmly. Watch for ice chunks. Be safe.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:01 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I had 3 bummed days, but today was super successful. In 1.5 hours, I landed 8 whitefish and 3 rainbows.

I used a Size 10 SJW and a size 16 copper john. 2/3 of my landed fish were on the SJW, but the biggest fish were on the copper john.

The whitefish were in the exact same pools/runs that I would expect. They are indeed all over the place, but the tend to school in deeper faster runs.

The interesting thing is that I caught the rainbows in the spots where I would have expected to catch brown trout in the summer.

I just love fly fishing.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:44 PM

Smile

I am thinking of getting out on Tuesday. Looks like this great weather is going to hold. So might be a good week to toss a few flies in the water.

Rob
Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 AM

I sure hope the nice weather holds. The problem with temperate winter weather in Calgary is the brutal west wind that tends to accompany it.
<crosses fingers>
Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 PM

4 whitefish and 3 nice browns today.

Fantastic conditions.

Hare's ear nymph and olive wooly buggers did the trick today.

Hope some of you made it out.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
4 whitefish and 3 nice browns today.

Fantastic conditions.

Hare's ear nymph and olive wooly buggers did the trick today.

Hope some of you made it out.
Did you use the hare's ear with a SJW?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Did you use the hare's ear with a SJW?
I used a stonefly for this set-up, but I have used the mighty sjw many times before.

I can't be sure, but I think the stonefly picked up a fish, too..... shook me off before I could confirm.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Winter Bow fishing is the best, this is when the Blindman stone is in its best element.
Stay away from smaller nymphs if you dont want toothless wonders. I run in tandem all blindmans in various colors and sizes.
My biggest stone will be a size 6 in black with orange legs or a Brown-Olive bub with a mylar crystal flash back. The smallest Stone ill run is a 10 with still a large profile. No lead wraps or beadheads, i think all thay do is deaden the action of a rubber legged nymph. I stagger heavy splitshot between flies. I use a large adjustable foam bobber on straight 10 lb fourocarbon. Tappered leaders just hinder the rigs ability to drop fast.
Use a bright orange indicator , its fun watching the big browns rise and try crush your indicator. If it gets to be really regular i have a orange walleye rig float with a hook in it....just to show them fish whos the boss..lol

Winter Bow river Browns are the best......their unexplained desire to clear water when hooked is special and missed during all other seasons.

Any of you want to try a blindman let me know and ill leave you a few outside my house for pickup, ive got a few tyed up ready to fish. i dont live far from fish creek park.

Last edited by chubbdarter; 12-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the tips Chub.

I want to fish the bow this winter and will try tossing some of the stones you sent me in the summer that I didn't really get to try much.

I have only ever caught a whitefish on the bow so I am hoping the next trip will get me a brown and/or rainbow.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Stay away from smaller nymphs if you don't want toothless wonders.
This was holding true for me all winter with the exception of the last day I was out. Small nymphs we're picking up nice browns! And the big surprise, I had a whitefsh take a huge streamer! What's with that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Winter Bow river Browns are the best......their unexplained desire to clear water when hooked is special and missed during all other seasons.
Well put.

Sounds like a nice rig you're using. I looked up your old post on the blindman stones and I think I'll have to tie a couple of them.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Thanks for the tips Chub.

I want to fish the bow this winter and will try tossing some of the stones you sent me in the summer that I didn't really get to try much.

I have only ever caught a whitefish on the bow so I am hoping the next trip will get me a brown and/or rainbow.
What stretch of the Bow do you usually fish?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
This was holding true for me all winter with the exception of the last day I was out. Small nymphs we're picking up nice browns! And the big surprise, I had a whitefsh take a huge streamer! What's with that?!

Well put.

Sounds like a nice rig you're using. I looked up your old post on the blindman stones and I think I'll have to tie a couple of them.

Yaa....sometimes there is no reasoning with fish. I quess im so disgusted with the smell of those toothless wonders ill do anything to not get their stink on my hands. It been along time since ive caught a exceptional trout on the Bow on something small. I remember the years way back when small flies ruled, but now a days i see no place for small flies if your looking for truely big Bow trout and lots of them.

CB if you need a pattern to copy, let me know i can leave a few outside my house for you to pick up.

good luck chuck-in and duck-in this winter.....its the best.... fish gang up, crowds dont exist and the river doesnt smell as bad