Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Hazards on Alberta lakes

Lets everyone step up and add what they know, you could save a life. I know hazards change year to year and even week to week sometimes, but lets all add what we have. If we get enough info maybe some intrepid Google map maker (not naming any jeff names) could do one up with known hazards, could even make a decent phone app.
Im fairly new to this area, but Ive heard more than once to stay away from the west side of the islands at Jackfish Bay as there can be some bad gas pockets in that area, as well as further south around Rainier Draw, not too sure on the exact location for that one, Im sure someone else local can fill that in. Between the islands at Crawling Valley is also an area known for thin ice, just ask the F and W officers whose truck went through.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 PM

Any one fishing Travers Res stay away from the Resort area looks like it was open yesterday! 4" to 6" of snow on it today may be hard to see. Great idea Wayne.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Any one fishing Travers Res stay away from the Resort area looks like it was open yesterday! 4" to 6" of snow on it today may be hard to see. Great idea Wayne.
I don't know why people take there truck on the ice this year anyways, i mean temps are going to be above 0 for the next week at least.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

I dont know of any specific locations, just a reminder to be extra cautious (stay away from) pressure ridges, creek inlets, and beaver dams. Underwater springs and currents are always the big unknown factor. If you are at all unsure of where you can drive or walk then just stick to existing trails.

Last edited by drhu22; 12-31-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechristie View Post
lets everyone step up and add what they know, you could save a life. I know hazards change year to year and even week to week sometimes, but lets all add what we have. If we get enough info maybe some intrepid google map maker (not naming any jeff names) could do one up with known hazards, could even make a decent phone app.
Im fairly new to this area, but ive heard more than once to stay away from the west side of the islands at jackfish bay as there can be some bad gas pockets in that area, as well as further south around rainier draw, not too sure on the exact location for that one, im sure someone else local can fill that in. Between the islands at crawling valley is also an area known for thin ice, just ask the f and w officers whose truck went through.

yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crawlingvalley4.jpg (48.4 KB, 620 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Cool

but ma nature gets most. I fish a lake in cent ab with a few frnds we walk at all times we have found holes in 3' of ice in jan after weeks of -20 . Even burnstick has springs in the shallow finger that do not frezze most winters safe 4 driving on ppl can not be told in this part of the world they know much better than u or I. most of the last 5 winters I have put in over 60+ days on the ice in cent an and have seen MORONS on every lake sleds blasting past ppl, trucks doing highway speeds , city folk that know nothing driving till there stuck in ft and a half slush asking 4 help (laughed at them )then showed them what reverse does what can the ppl like our self with the effort spent 2 get the info 2 be safe and they drive up in there one ton desl to ask hows the fishing is and we run away screaming 10" of ice whats to be done dont like any more rules or crappy saying do this dont do that darwin says stupid gets dead
Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 PM
pelada trochu

was on the ice today 10", trucks everywhere,
sled went buy fairly fast and not really that super close but the water in my hole started bobing up and down.

whats up with that, can anyone explain it to me. does that mean the ice is too thin for vehicles.

i walked out to be safe.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Cool bubbly hole

I belive what ur seeing is the ice moveing under the weight 10"is iffy to drive on u never worry abt the thikness its the thin that gets u ice is not floating it is being held up by water that cannot be compressed drill enough holes the ice can sink in the lab not gona happen on a lake but a spring can make a air pocket or what we call a man hole in my experience in ice over 3' thick
Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 PM

Devils Lake (Matchayaw) between where the Sturgeon R. comes in an where it goes out, have seen open water some winters.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishgut View Post
Devils Lake (Matchayaw) between where the Sturgeon R. comes in an where it goes out, have seen open water some winters.
The problem with Devil's is that those springs keep moving from year to year, so you never really know where they're at until it's too late. Even last year there was water bubbling up from a spring off the weeds on the northwest side of the lake. I have fished it for 30 years and believe me that sucker is one of the most dangerous lakes in the region.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I belive what ur seeing is the ice moveing under the weight 10"is iffy to drive on u never worry abt the thikness its the thin that gets u ice is not floating it is being held up by water that cannot be compressed drill enough holes the ice can sink in the lab not gona happen on a lake but a spring can make a air pocket or what we call a man hole in my experience in ice over 3' thick
Ice cannot sink....

Thats why we can ice fish, ice can bend and waves can form. Causing the water to come through your hole.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Ice cannot sink....

Thats why we can ice fish, ice can bend and waves can form. Causing the water to come through your hole.
as I said in a lab not on a lake ask any body that's been through the ice see how they feel abt ice not sinking. I agree tho springs. can move even week 2 week I have even read accounts of dense fish schooling can affect ice. never seen this my self .one more lake note west side of phillis was small creek or spring found thin ice there last yr
Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post

4" to 6" of snow on it today? i wasn't far to the north of there and we had a few flakes mid morning but that was it. ice was freezing this morning. lots of snap crackle and popping going on.

Dace
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
4" to 6" of snow on it today? i wasn't far to the north of there and we had a few flakes mid morning but that was it. ice was freezing this morning. lots of snap crackle and popping going on.

Dace
South of the Bow today I got maybe a quarter of an inch of snow, on the north side I came home to 5 or 6 inches in the yard, there were a couple big storms that went through. Thats maybe 5 miles apart.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
South of the Bow today I got maybe a quarter of an inch of snow, on the north side I came home to 5 or 6 inches in the yard, there were a couple big storms that went through. Thats maybe 5 miles apart.

Hey Wayne...dont hijack this thread!
Ya I know Daceminnow started it.

Seriously though, I was surprised at the snow report too.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

I just had an idea...Is there a number to call, or web page with forestry or fish/wildlife to get advice on ice conditions?

Might eliminate some guesswork eh?
Also, it would make a good sticky I think.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
I just had an idea...Is there a number to call, or web page with forestry or fish/wildlife to get advice on ice conditions?

Might eliminate some guesswork eh?
Also, it would make a good sticky I think.
tryed that dude said 4" safe 4 walking 8"4sled or quad ,min of 12 " to be safe 4 vech to drive on .dont fish gleniffer burnstick has springs, same with blood indian it helped sum but knew most of that other offices my be more helpful than our olds office
Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
was on the ice today 10", trucks everywhere,
sled went buy fairly fast and not really that super close but the water in my hole started bobing up and down.

whats up with that, can anyone explain it to me. does that mean the ice is too thin for vehicles.

i walked out to be safe.
ice flexes and moves under weight at any thickness, 10" or 30" it moves. as you drive you create a wave under the ice, its this wave that can cause fractures ahead of you if you are too heavy and moving too quickly, especially when you reach the shore, the pressure builds and the ice will fail right in front of you. ive seen it first hand a few times.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
tryed that dude said 4" safe 4 walking 8"4sled or quad ,min of 12 " to be safe 4 vech to drive on .dont fish gleniffer burnstick has springs, same with blood indian it helped sum but knew most of that other offices my be more helpful than our olds office
Ya, I think what is needed is a list of regional wildlife/forestry office ph numbers. Then you might get some info specific to different lakes etc.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmoTrutta View Post
ice flexes and moves under weight at any thickness, 10" or 30" it moves. as you drive you create a wave under the ice, its this wave that can cause fractures ahead of you if you are too heavy and moving too quickly, especially when you reach the shore, the pressure builds and the ice will fail right in front of you. ive seen it first hand a few times.
Yup, but he said that was just a skidoo, so that shouldnt create much of a wave should it?

Last edited by drhu22; 12-31-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Ya, I think what is needed is a list of regional wildlife/forestry office ph numbers. Then you might get some info specific to different lakes etc.
ya for sure I would think that there would be like an ice safety office to keep track of constant hazardous spots I hate the feeling of driveing on a lake I have not been at before and have the front end sink 6" in slush when u know that there is just a foot of ice all that oil $$ never seems to be put to any use cept getting more oil just here say but I heard of a lake in montana where steam injection renderd one lake to longer form ice?? just here say mind u yes an I've office is agreat idea
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 PM

Thumbs up

Excellent idea Wayne. I am fairly new to ice fishing, and I am quite paranoid after breaking through into some flood water a few years back. Having a little forewarning could influence between having a good day versus a bad day.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
ya for sure I would think that there would be like an ice safety office to keep track of constant hazardous spots I hate the feeling of driveing on a lake I have not been at before and have the front end sink 6" in slush when u know that there is just a foot of ice all that oil $$ never seems to be put to any use cept getting more oil just here say but I heard of a lake in montana where steam injection renderd one lake to longer form ice?? just here say mind u yes an I've office is agreat idea
Huh??
Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 PM

Good idea Wayne. We can start one with ice conditions and hazards or put it on the one already out there. If it's something that everyone thinks is worth it I can rip it up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

never ever ever drive on the canal entering macgregor lake!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

Lots of people go on there but if you don't know the lake I'm going to say Lac Ste Anne........the whole lake.

I don't know of any issues along the shore of Lac Lanonne but I wouldn't be driving across it.

As previously mentioned Devil's Lake is a bugger and I wouldn't wander too far off of the beaten path there.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM

Know your lake check for creeks and outflows I know calling has one on the east shore tat creates thin ice about 300 yards out.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Went fishing on Ghost Dam (just off the boat launch) this morning and even with 13" of ice this was there. This could've all been avoided if they knew to drive close to the shore line and go slow. But instead now they are stuck with the bill to tow it out (cause insurance wont cover it) and theyll be lucky if they get it out all in one piece.

Last edited by ub3rst4r; 01-01-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added time
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Touchwood- Just don't even drive anything bigger than a quad on it. I don't know all the bad spots but I know enough that I will never risk it in a truck. There is ALWAYS bad flood water by the camp ground. That lake is so damn deep it takes forever to ice over. I heard theres springs, but I dont know where. If I can recall I think it was the north east shore area.

Beaver Lake- Don't go near the narrows on the south end. I've seen open water in Febaurary.

Lac La Biche- fairly safe ice, but lots of stupid people on it. Dont assume since the guy in front of you is driving a 1 ton across the lake its safe. This year there is huge heaves all around the lake. Careful you dont drive over them. If you walk near them you can hear water under them. Theres air spaces under the heaves, if you drive them you'll probably crack and go under because theres a big air space under them. Although I saw a guy in a full size truck launch himself over one a few weeks ago.. idiot. Oh and stay away from the culvert on the cause way to churchill park. Theres a good current that goes through it and makes lots of bad ice. There was open water there last I checked a week ago.

Seibert- bad ice south of the launch and straight across from the launch every year from a spring. I don't know exactly where so I never go south of the lauch or striaght across from the launch.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Wow!
Thanks Wayne for starting this thread. It really hit's home how dangerous it can be on the ice after reading this! Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year out on the ice in 2012.

Drove over the bridge at the south end of MacGregor this morning, and it looks like there was a huge amount of open water and now has a very thin layer of ice on it.