Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM

Beaver lake (lac la biche)
Last week we had a quad go through the point infront of our house. Stay away from every point on these lakes as the ice doesn't freeze well. 16" of ice but 2" on a point
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Default Lac La Nonne spring

Many yrs ago my wife(gf at the time) and I went through the ice @ Lac Lanonne. We were on sleds. Hit a spring by the church camp(east side shore i belive) between the island and shore. She went in deeper, standing on the seat she was up to her boobies. I was only in 2 ft cause I was closer to the island shore. I got her out with a deadwood tree from the island and belly crawling to her. The local girl riding by on a sled seen us and took my wife back to the truck where we were fishing, came back for me and showed me how to get to the church camp by road. By the time we returned a hour or so later, her brothers and friends had both sleds out. On guy went in with chest waders and tied up the sunken sled. Mine was not submerged so we were able to tow the dead one back to the trailer. ALL the locals knew of the spring. No signage because the county and province dont want liability. If its signed and the sign falls over and I drown, lawsuit city. No sign, no one can be sued is what I was told. Last I heard the lake was low and the area between the island and camp has been almost dry. After last summers rains, I would be carefull again. Someone must be from there and can report if this spring is a hazzard again.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Exclamation Big In Ice

Check this photo out. This trucker lucky to escape with there life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big_truck_in _ice.jpg (8.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Ice is very unpredictable right now,I was on Grassy Lake today and drilled a hole 5" of ice.......fished it for 20 minutes,moved 25 feet 1" of ice,very scary,be careful out there guys !!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyboy View Post
Ice is very unpredictable right now,I was on Grassy Lake today and drilled a hole 5" of ice.......fished it for 20 minutes,moved 25 feet 1" of ice,very scary,be careful out there guys !!!
Yikes! that will stain a Man's Pants!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Default Suv!!!!!!

I was out at Hope and Skeleton this weekend, for the most part your looking at 12-14" of ice. Closer to shore there was some real weird looking ice though.

The thing that got me was on Saterday while fshing in the tent on Skeleton, we started to hear the ice cracking really loud and coming staright at us. As it was as super windy day all I could hear was the wind and the ice REALLY cracking and the water started to come up out of the hole! I quickly exited the tent just to see a guy in a SUV less than 20 FEET go screaming by me. I thought I was going for a swim.

That was the end of my fishing for the weekend and spent the rest of it doing some late season WT scouting......
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Ever since I was shown a spot off of the pigeon lake provincial park where it looked like the ice had flooded, and where I saw truck track shaped holes in the ice, I have been extremely cautious about springs. The spring was located off of the right hand side of the sand bar in well over 20FOW.

At bear lake near Edson, there was one year where that lake was loaded with springs. There were lots of dark spots on the ice. Sure enough, my fishing partner drilled a hole over one of the dark spots in 30 + FOW, and the ice was only 2'' thick opposed to 1 and a half feet thick all around. It happened to be too that the ice was cracking alot from expanding and shrinking. It got to the point where you could actually feel the ice moving vibrating under me. After leaving that lake, I didn't want to fish it for a few years afterwards and without a floating safety suite.

At Isle lake I have also heard numerous stories about a spring right off of the south end of the long "perch fishing island" off of silver sands and a truck's front end going through the ice there.

I have also hear about a spring somewhere near the middle of Lac Ste Anne that caused open water even in mid winter.

At Mayaton right off of the boat launch, there is a bad bunch of gas bubbles where a friend of mine, had their leg go through the ice.

Almost 10 years ago, I went fishing at Paddle River Reservior and the ice was only 2'' thick in mid winter!

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
The problem with Devil's is that those springs keep moving from year to year, so you never really know where they're at until it's too late. Even last year there was water bubbling up from a spring off the weeds on the northwest side of the lake. I have fished it for 30 years and believe me that sucker is one of the most dangerous lakes in the region.
Yep I probably encountered the same spring. I was walking along the reed on the north west end of the lake and saw a spot with bubbling open water.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Many yrs ago my wife(gf at the time) and I went through the ice @ Lac Lanonne. We were on sleds. Hit a spring by the church camp(east side shore i belive) between the island and shore. She went in deeper, standing on the seat she was up to her boobies. I was only in 2 ft cause I was closer to the island shore. I got her out with a deadwood tree from the island and belly crawling to her. The local girl riding by on a sled seen us and took my wife back to the truck where we were fishing, came back for me and showed me how to get to the church camp by road. By the time we returned a hour or so later, her brothers and friends had both sleds out. On guy went in with chest waders and tied up the sunken sled. Mine was not submerged so we were able to tow the dead one back to the trailer. ALL the locals knew of the spring. No signage because the county and province dont want liability. If its signed and the sign falls over and I drown, lawsuit city. No sign, no one can be sued is what I was told. Last I heard the lake was low and the area between the island and camp has been almost dry. After last summers rains, I would be carefull again. Someone must be from there and can report if this spring is a hazzard again.
I think that's the same spring I heard about a couple years back. My fishing partner and I were talking to this local and he warned us about a quad going through the ice from a spring in the narrow stretch between the tear drop island and the main shore. He told us to keep clear of the main shore. Sure enough when I go through the middle of the narrows, I look off to the right of me and and see small patch of ice where it had previously cracked. The spot was right next to the main shore like the local described and kudos to him for warning us, or we may have gone through!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Sorry I see this has been beat to death on another thread. Disregard
He's just doing this to make people rave about his typing then whines to mods so it's best to ignore him. But be careful on the ice a side by side went through at Sylvan today lucky both people got out.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 AM

Mc Millan has a spring on the northwest side.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Lac St. Anne has a spring between Ross Haven(near Gunn) and Ecko Marine on the other side. I believe it is nearer to Ecko. Ex-Brother-in-law found it while taking his sled for maintenance. Ecko knew exactly where it was but I don't have coordinates or better directions.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Newell

another spot passed on to me to watch out for, the sandy beach area right above and a bit nw of gates above rh res no matter how cold its thin or even open , and if you drive in there are about 10 million nails all over the ground too , popular spot for burning pallets.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Cool

enough said I will try to avoid ur posts in the future, now back to our original program . avoid accessing burnstick from the public boat launch at the east end especially if driving very slushy did not stop 2 check ice bit too iffy
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I belive what ur seeing is the ice moveing under the weight 10"is iffy to drive on u never worry abt the thikness its the thin that gets u ice is not floating it is being held up by water that cannot be compressed drill enough holes the ice can sink in the lab not gona happen on a lake but a spring can make a air pocket or what we call a man hole in my experience in ice over 3' thick
You are correct in stating that water in a liquid form is incompressible.

However,Fish Gunner you couldn't be more incorrect in your description of why ice stays on top of the liquid water below it. Truth be told water has an odd property and that is it reaches its lowest density when it freezes (turns to a solid) and is actually more dense in its liquid state. This is because the molecules of water realign themselves so as to occupy the most volume as a solid.(This is why the volume of ice is greater then that of liquid water. Don't believe me put some water in a glass bottle and place it in the freezer. Result: the glass shatters.)

It is because of this difference in density that ice FLOATS on water.

If you still stand by your statement that this is not true in a laboratory setting then please post experiment. I am always willing to learn something new.

Last edited by ivegonefishing; 01-03-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 PM

Utikima off the first lease road straight out to the island has a spring on the South East corner, about the only place on that lake that has any structure. I have seen open water in Feb at that spot.

The narrows at Lesser Slave, although a very popular spot, has some iffy spots, some say it's from naturally occurring methane gas pockets, others say it's from tides. I personally know 3 groups who have gone through in the past 3 years, one of them in a Hagluund, the other guys in a Snow Cat, the Snow Cat boys would have been done for if their shack would have went down with the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegonefishing View Post
Actually that's a false statement, you can compress water in a liquid form under the right pressure conditions. I hydrostatically tested pipelines for many years.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet View Post
Utikima off the first lease road straight out to the island has a spring on the South East corner, about the only place on that lake that has any structure. I have seen open water in Feb at that spot.

The narrows at Lesser Slave, although a very popular spot, has some iffy spots, some say it's from naturally occurring methane gas pockets, others say it's from tides. I personally know 3 groups who have gone through in the past 3 years, one of them in a Hagluund, the other guys in a Snow Cat, the Snow Cat boys would have been done for if their shack would have went down with the machine.

Actually that's a false statement, you can compress water in a liquid form under the right pressure conditions. I hydrostatically tested pipelines for many years.
True you can apply a force to it and therefore it is under a state of compression but it cannot be diminished in volume (unless measuring with extremely sensitive equipment) and it therefore behaves as an incompressible substance; contrary to what Fish Gunner was trying to say.

compressibility of water is small. An increase of pressure by 1 atmosphere (= 1013mbar = 14.7 psi) causes a decrease of the water volume by 5.3*10-5 of the original volume.*

* http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~martin...es/proph2o.htm

It is because of its relative incompressibilty, availability, and low cost that you used water for hydrostatic testing.

Last edited by ivegonefishing; 01-03-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegonefishing View Post

However,Fish Gunner you couldn't be more incorrect in your description of why ice stays on top of the liquid water below it. Truth be told water has an odd property and that is it reaches its lowest density when it freezes (turns to a solid) and is actually more dense in its liquid state. This is because the molecules of water realign themselves so as to occupy the most volume as a solid.(This is why the volume of ice is greater then that of liquid water. Don't believe me put some water in a glass bottle and place it in the freezer. Result: the glass shatters.)

It is because of this difference in density. that ice FLOATS on water.

If you still stand by your statement that this is not true in a laboratory setting then please post experiment. I am always willing to learn something new.
thank you for very this accurate explanation I need to clarify my statement ice is not very boyant eg: Ice berg 75%-90% submerged my intent was to suggest that a truck sized chunk of ice say 3' thick 8'×16' is not capable of displacing enough water to float a truck I will work on a detailed answer to show you an entire lakes ice can be sunk by baromertic pressure and water temp difference alone this my take a day or 2 please bide with me oh worthy scholar
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I belive what ur seeing is the ice moveing under the weight 10"is iffy to drive on u never worry abt the thikness its the thin that gets u ice is not floating it is being held up by water that cannot be compressed drill enough holes the ice can sink in the lab not gona happen on a lake but a spring can make a air pocket or what we call a man hole in my experience in ice over 3' thick
Ice floats because it has less density than the water it is siting on. No mater how many holes you drill in it if no extra weight is added to it it will not sink in the lab or in nature.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Lets everyone step up and add what they know, you could save a life. I know hazards change year to year and even week to week sometimes, but lets all add what we have. If we get enough info maybe some intrepid Google map maker (not naming any jeff names) could do one up with known hazards, could even make a decent phone app.
Getting back to the original subject, for those people that do know of specific repeated spots that are unsafe add them to the google earth map on anglersatlas.com. You can select a red warning icon for hazards. And maybe you can save a life.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
He's just doing this to make people rave about his typing then whines to mods so it's best to ignore him. But be careful on the ice a side by side went through at Sylvan today lucky both people got out.
I heard this too. DO you know where this happened?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Exclamation Cavan lake

A guy from work said today that cavan lake is open near the shoreline in some spots and the rest of the lake is 4"....just a heads up!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Was on Gregg Lake today with my truck and there was 12 to 14 inches of ice got 5 Lake Whitefish and Drove around abit . just know your lake and don't do the creeks /springs/weeds/dumb blondes ooopppss haa haaLake Whitefish Jan 2012.jpg

David
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
I heard this too. DO you know where this happened?
this is all i can find.http://newsadvertiser.com/wordpressm...n-sylvan-lake/