Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Default Best Reel / Rod Combo for $400

Since this will be my first rod / reel combo worth more then $100 :P I would love some input. I almost bought the Abu Revo but a lot of reviews are saying it's rough and noisy and "going back". I'm only interested in a spinning reel setup.

I also normally fish for pike and walleye.

I was looking at the:

Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reels Which seems to have great reviews all around

&

Rod: ????

What Kind of action / length should I go for? 7.0' MH / Fast? I would like to get a 1 piece if possible but that's not a big deal. I have never cared before but this is starting to become a bit of an obsession.

Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tyler

Last edited by GotPumP; 05-27-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM

The C!4 is a great reel but in a 4000 it is too big for pike and walley.

St Croix makes some great rods in 6 and 6 1/2 med light that would fit the bill. Put that with the CI14 2500 and you have an outfit that will last for years to come.

The rod will run you around 140 and the reel 250 so it should fit nicely in your budget.

Remember, a lot of people will reccomend other brands that cost way less and they beleve them to be equal to or superior but just go with the best from the get go and you will always be glad you did.

Happy Fishn
Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 AM

No 4000 got it
Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Cool

if you have 400$ to spend .you cant go wrong with shimano , browning or the high end phluger stuff. I lke my fenwick rods. try tackle uk on google for some very intresting alternatives.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Check out the new Concept rods from Rapala if you're looking for a one piece.
I picked on up after the outdoor show.
3M nano coating gives a more uniform rod blank. The whole rods tips the scale at around 3.5 oz.
Super light ultra sensitive.
A little pricey but totally worth it.
I put a Seeker spinning reel with 10# Sufix 832.
Now that's a Walleye slaying machine.
Rod reel line under 400 bucks.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPumP View Post
Since this will be my first rod / reel combo worth more then $100 :P I would love some input. I almost bought the Abu Revo but a lot of reviews are saying it's rough and noisy and "going back". I'm only interested in a spinning reel setup.

I also normally fish for pike and walleye.

I was looking at the:

Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reels Which seems to have great reviews all around

&

Rod: ????

What Kind of action / length should I go for? 7.0' MH / Fast? I would like to get a 1 piece if possible but that's not a big deal. I have never cared before but this is starting to become a bit of an obsession.

Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tyler

Its my opinion rod and reels are like girl friends. Only you can tell what suits you.
The rod market is too diverse with many rods able to cross technique many presentations. So a person needs to either determine his or her main technique or go technique specific.

Your budget is very healthy and will get you some very nice equipment.

My rack has 17 one piece GL rods. Im not convinced that 1 piece is important anymore. Top quality rod manufacturers have near perfected the ferrules. So the advantages arent clear to me anymore but the disadvantages of 1 piece have always been clear to me.

Like i said im against anyone pick a girlfriend for you unless we know you well but i'll play the game for fun

my choice

Quantum EXO combo
Quantum Smoke combo