Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Default carson lake fly fishing

Was planning on heading out to carson this weekend and wondering how the fishings been and what types of flys to use.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:02 PM

went there couple weeks ago caught 4-5 in an hour they had weird lumps on them dont know what it was couple people said the same thing
Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM

There's no real fly fishing from shore just spin cast and usually have no room to fish there mostly Asian ppl there, funny thing is emerald is always empty only a short drive from carson. The fishing is tough there but there is big fish that breach the water(speckled trout,rainbows).
Old 08-16-2014, 12:31 PM

I fished emerald for thirty years and had the lake to myself. Most of the time and there is a reason why. Brook trout with a lake full minnows that make big fish also makes it hard to catch the fish
Fishing any lake with big brookies is not like fishing a lake with rainbows
Stick to fishing Carson at least u will catch fish
Emerald can be very in forgiving. Took me years to understand this lake and at times still shows me that it is a tuff lake
Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Ok, well, to actually answer the question, lol, here ya go:

Assume for the moment you have a boat or could rent one.

Green and black flies work well. I would try the following;

1. Doc Spratleys; green, black, or red. I like green.
2. Green montana
3. 52 Buick
4. Idaho nymph
5. Any crystal chenille leech pattern, with, you guessed it, olive or black.
6. Could still use chironomid patterns. Green, or black ice cream cones.
7. Could also some dry flies in the evening; small parachute Adams, Tom Thumb, or Elk Hair Caddis. Could get even deadlier if you hang an emerger pattern beneath the dry a la hopper-dropper style.

That's about it. Fishing was fair in July when I went, but there was unsettled weather. Fish are caught all over the lake. But I tend to favor the bay on the north side of the lake (by the pumphouse? Little gray shack). Also, that same bay, but closer to the narrows. Tons of weeds that grow tons of food. Have had some success on going through the narrows and fishing the weedline on your right (north side again). Also have had success fishing 25 feet of water parallel trolling the buoys there for the shore fisherman, not far from the launch. I.E. you could start trolling as soon as you launch the boat. Or find a weedy bay, anchor and cast with indicators or the 'naked' technique.

Good luck. One of the best family, put-and-take-5 lakes around. Keep and eat your limit, the fish are good (though, maybe avoid the ones with sores) and plentiful. That's what the lake is managed for - consumption. Not doing any favors by releasing fish (and I do release 90+% of the fish I catch normally).

Good luck!
Smitty
Old 08-16-2014, 06:16 PM

backswimmer season is starting or about to start, work well trolled or hop start retrieve if you're stationary, early morn and evening cased caddis or even just a green montana works well stationary around weeds at narrows or weeds in general
Old 08-17-2014, 10:47 AM

I could tell you of an awesome fly fishing creek right near whitecourt and the fish aren't so in forgiviving lol pm if your interested can't keep these fish tho also can't keep em off the hook lol