Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Default How to catch stocked rainbow trout?

I was wondering what is the best set up for rainbows. I've been using a snell hook with cheese but the cheese falls off before I get down or when I do get it down nothing bites. Is there any better baits hooks or anything I should do different?
Thx
Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 PM

Default How to catch stocked rainbow trout?

Small pickerel rig with a decent heavy weight on bottom. Pinch the barbs unless you are keeping them. I prefer scented marshmallows as bait as they are effective and stay put.

Cast it out and reel slowly just until your line is tight so you can feel the short, quick strikes. Then set the hook.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM

What kind of cheese are you using? Velveeta works pretty good and sticks together while trying to make a ball out of sliced processed cheese just makes a mess and falls off right away.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Rainbow power bait or shrimp works great.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 PM

I find the velvetta does not stick when turning into a ball...I have tried suggestions of mixing with flour and still a no go...Any other better suggestions out there...
Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM

shrimp is good, how about squid (the ones for calamari)? Works okay and sticks pretty good.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM

I've tried about 5 different stocked ponds this year and I've been the most consistent with a slip bobber setup with a surprisingly small mustad circle hook and shrimp. If not shrimp the green powerbait with sparkles or a single salmon egg.

Cheese, corn, marshmellows didn't work as well as shrimp or powerbait paste.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM

Best set up is fly fishing. Once you get it figured out can catch fish like crazy. It is expensive and hard to get figured out though(I am still working at it)...

My best suggestion is to get some sort of boat so you aren't stuck on shore. Trout are smart and they figure out where the danger spots are in the lake. If you stick to the less fished areas you will catch more fish.

I don't bother with bait. Flies, spoons and spinners all work better imo. The key to using lures is a boat so you can get to where the fish are.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Best set up is fly fishing. Once you get it figured out can catch fish like crazy. It is expensive and hard to get figured out though(I am still working at it)...

My best suggestion is to get some sort of boat so you aren't stuck on shore. Trout are smart and they figure out where the danger spots are in the lake. If you stick to the less fished areas you will catch more fish.

I don't bother with bait. Flies, spoons and spinners all work better imo. The key to using lures is a boat so you can get to where the fish are.
get gear in the us. way cheaper for some items
Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 PM

Worms! 1/4 of a worm on a 1/16 oz jig head. Can't go wrong.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Not the case. It does not need to be an expensive thing. Just like anything else you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. It will run you a little more then a Walmart $25.00 spinning combo, but not much more. You can purchase generic rod and reel with line attached for minimal cost. It obviously wont be of quality but will give you a general idea.

I have a few fly rods and reels and am happy to get a guy out and try a few casts to see if its a fit.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM

As for your Velveeta cheese you can keep it on your hook better if, after you have baited your hook with it you drop it into the water right in front of you and let it sit for a minute. The cool water will firm the ball up and it will stick to the hook better.

Any nymph or dry fly will work if you put a bobber about 5-6 feet behind the fly. Once you have cast out your rig slowly straighten your line out and then very slowly pull the fly in. If you are using an unweighted nymph soak it in the water before casting it out.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
As for your Velveeta cheese you can keep it on your hook better if, after you have baited your hook with it you drop it into the water right in front of you and let it sit for a minute. The cool water will firm the ball up and it will stick to the hook better.

Any nymph or dry fly will work if you put a bobber about 5-6 feet behind the fly. Once you have cast out your rig slowly straighten your line out and then very slowly pull the fly in. If you are using an unweighted nymph soak it in the water before casting it out.
Thanks Hooker...I will try that
Old 08-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Not the case. It does not need to be an expensive thing. Just like anything else you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. It will run you a little more then a Walmart $25.00 spinning combo, but not much more. You can purchase generic rod and reel with line attached for minimal cost. It obviously wont be of quality but will give you a general idea.

I have a few fly rods and reels and am happy to get a guy out and try a few casts to see if its a fit.
Sure you can buy garbage for $50-60 but to get anything half decent you are looking at $150 minimum. Plus you still need flies, tippet, leaders, indicators, fly boxes etc which is an easy $50 minimum and that barely scratches the surface...

I can buy an entire spinning setup with pickerel rig and bait for less then you can buy a decent fly line for...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Default You have to decide...

Trout mortality is generally higher (can be quite a bit higher) using bait.

I mention that, because from what I understand in hooking studies done, is that whether to pinch your barbs or not is pretty insignificant to the decision to use bait or not. Pinching barbs down but using bait I don't think is going to do much in terms of reducing mortality. The reason being is that baited hooks tend to be swallowed deeper into the fish's gullet.

So pinch your barbs if you like, but if you're using bait, you're essentially making a decision to keep a lot of the fish you catch. Which is not a problem - not trying to come across as Mr. Jugemental guy - if you're fishing the put and take 5 limit lakes. Those lakes are designed for people to enjoy a supper or two.

Have fun!

When I did use bait, I never found the need to go beyond worms or powerbait myself. But that was 25 years ago before I started to fly fish. Everyone has favorites - like Velveeta cheese. Just don't use corn!

Smitty

Last edited by smitty9; 08-19-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM

If I'm using bait, its nightcrawlers or powerbait. If you're going to use nightcrawlers on the bottom, make sure to use a worm blower so they float up above your weight, trout aren't bottom feeders. Powerbait floats on it's own.

Generally I use spinners though. A small wedding ring spinner is deadly. Spinning rod, enough weight to cast it and a slow somewhat erratic retrieve. Or, on the boat, I troll one behind a set of cowbells.

Rainbows are smart, but they are aggressive compared to most other trout.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Sure you can buy garbage for $50-60 but to get anything half decent you are looking at $150 minimum. Plus you still need flies, tippet, leaders, indicators, fly boxes etc which is an easy $50 minimum and that barely scratches the surface...

I can buy an entire spinning setup with pickerel rig and bait for less then you can buy a decent fly line for...
True you can. I was just showing an example that it does not need to be a ridiculous amount of money to get started. $150 bucks will get you into a quality rod reel and line. TFO has packages for that price and they are of a good quality and come with lifetime warranty.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 08-19-2014, 05:13 PM

they eat almost everything though. One time i took one home, and found sparkle powerbait and a piece of corn in its stomach. That was disgusting
Old 08-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantsfish View Post
I've tried about 5 different stocked ponds this year and I've been the most consistent with a slip bobber setup with a surprisingly small mustad circle hook and shrimp. If not shrimp the green powerbait with sparkles or a single salmon egg.

Cheese, corn, marshmellows didn't work as well as shrimp or powerbait paste.
Took the words outta my mouth