Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Chain Lakes

Anyone had any successful trips to Chain Lakes (south hwy 22) this open water season? I’m taking my son out tomorrow and would love to hear any tips you guys might have for bait, locations or depths to try! I’m new to the area so will be going in blind. TIA
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Its been pretty consistent. I've found that you get 3-4 suckers for every trout using bait. Worms and maggots are staples, sometime mealworms can be the ticket too. Just a size 8 single hook under a float or about 8-10" above a 1/2 oz weight. There are a bunch of nice points and small bays just down from the campground that always produce. For active fishing I've had the best luck casting a small jig out tipped with a worm and then working it slowly back to shore. If you flyfish then there can be some good risers in the morning for small dry flies.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:27 PM

Chironomids
Old 07-09-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovacs View Post
Its been pretty consistent. I've found that you get 3-4 suckers for every trout using bait. Worms and maggots are staples, sometime mealworms can be the ticket too. Just a size 8 single hook under a float or about 8-10" above a 1/2 oz weight. There are a bunch of nice points and small bays just down from the campground that always produce. For active fishing I've had the best luck casting a small jig out tipped with a worm and then working it slowly back to shore. If you flyfish then there can be some good risers in the morning for small dry flies.
Same problem here with the suckers. You think you got a trout but nooo its a sucker. All in good fun.

My buddy and I used a pickeral rig with smaller hooks and corn. Suckers 80% of time. We went to the far end of the parking lot and just fished off there.

Bring heavy weight/sinkers in-case u need to chuck your baits out far. I seen families using sinkers the size of a golf ball. The wind is pretty annoying as well.