Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 08:47 PM

As you said you would make do with most models. The little things that make one kayak better/different than others in certain situations are just that, little things. All pedal kayaks will get you on the water with hands free capability which makes them all great choices for a personal fishing watercraft.

I am a strong supporter for the Hobie fin drive though, after I first saw one in Florida I knew I needed one and now after using one for years and having tried multiple pedal drive kayaks I am willing to claim that without a doubt they are the best pedal drive available. They are faster, more powerful, don't have issues with weeds, are reliable and have been proven for decades.

The other thing about Hobies is that their resale value is high especially on these high end models that rarely come available. Would you rather save a few hundred bucks up front or spend a few more and break even if/when you decide to sell?

Personally I would just keep an eye out used and buy that way. Price of new kayaks is ridiculous right now and you can usually find a good deal if you hunt around.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 AM

I'm a big fan of the Pelican NXT 120. But I bought it for floating rivers and ability to pack enough stuff for as much as 2 days on the water. Super stable and tough as hell for bouncing off rocks etc. I couldn't buy anything with pedals as they would have been ripped off in shallow stretches of a river.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The Jackson bite FD definitely on the short list for the wife because of the ability to access the prop without removing the drive. She also likes the idea of the bicycle style pedal motion over Hobies stepper style motion. With my size and the recommendation of 12ft min I did not consider it for myself

Myself I should have no issues pulling a 20lbs drive on the water if needed. I am honestly having a harder time narrowing it down because I would probably be comfortable in most and just make it work lol

The Aquabatics promotion is that for all brands or just old Town?
Oh I should clarify, the drive weights 20 lbs but you dont have to lift the full weight of the drive when clearing weeds. The drive floats and is mounted on a pivot with a spring assembly to help assist with putting it into the stow position. When unlocking and stowing it feels more like 5-8 lbs of weight to pull up and stow. Its very easy. Here is a picture of my drive raised up:

The Aquabatics promotion is only for the Old Town brand boats. AQ was able to work a deal with only them to offer people something since they couldnt get their hands on enough stock to keep up with the demand this year.

I had placed my order back in April and I still didnt see the boat until July. Theyve just had a crazy amount of orders.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:56 PM

Thanks again guys lots of great information
Old 08-19-2020, 09:35 AM

Just need to correct your info here Huy...

If you buy a Jackson Kayak Big Rig HD, you CAN add the pedal drive afterwards as the pods are interchangeable. The beauty of the Big Rig is that it's Jackson's most stable yak and might be the perfect fit for him if he wants to also hunt. I have this kayak in the FD version and absolutely love it.

https://store.jacksonadventures.com/...g-rig-hd-2020/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
one option that make it easy is the wilderness system Radar. You can but the kayak first and then add the pedal drive on after.

Jackson kayak also make fantastic kayaks but you have to buy both in one pop which many dont like. A jackson coosa pedal drive will run you about 3800+gst. (smaller short models around 2800)

oldtown kayaks is also a great brand but i believe you have to buy both together in one shot. but they are fairly priced and built quite well. The pedal drives they offer range from 2600 for a smaller one and can go upwards to 3200

Stringtheoryangling can help you with a discount code for aquabatics edmonton or oldtown canoes since he is an ambassador for both these companies.

The pedal drive i'm using is one of the cheapest budget pedal drives you can buy and its the perception pescador pilot 12. Its not the most stable or the fastest. Doesn't have the best dry storage or compartments but its works and its still fun. I believe they are around 2500+gst
Old 08-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Just need to correct your info here Huy...

If you buy a Jackson Kayak Big Rig HD, you CAN add the pedal drive afterwards as the pods are interchangeable. The beauty of the Big Rig is that it's Jackson's most stable yak and might be the perfect fit for him if he wants to also hunt. I have this kayak in the FD version and absolutely love it.

https://store.jacksonadventures.com/...g-rig-hd-2020/

O wow! I've never looked into the Big Rig before! is this only for the big rig? If that is the case I think the big rig would be a fantastic option for me.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife

Last edited by HuyFishin; 08-19-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:09 PM

HuyFishin,

It "may" have been an option on a previous Coosa "I think". But yes, as far as I can tell its only available on the Big Rigs now. If you opt for this yak I think you're going to absolutely love it. It is a little heavier, but its a tank, zero stability issues, super roomy. I've even bow mounted a trolling motor to mine so I can paddle, pedal, or power into a location.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Wish Jackson made a pedal model between the bite and coosa because that would most likely fit my needs. The big rig is too heavy for what I am looking for. I want something that is comfortable to load and unload solo

I wish I could swap drives, rudders, hauls, and features between the brands. I wish I knew what was coming for 2021 before I settle on a kayak
Old 08-19-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Wish Jackson made a pedal model between the bite and coosa because that would most likely fit my needs. The big rig is too heavy for what I am looking for. I want something that is comfortable to load and unload solo

I wish I could swap drives, rudders, hauls, and features between the brands. I wish I knew what was coming for 2021 before I settle on a kayak
They dont release new models super super often. I think the bite is to small and lacks storage compartments.

Respect wildlife
Old 08-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
They dont release new models super super often. I think the bite is to small and lacks storage compartments.
Agree hence why I wish there was an in between models. I still think the bite would likely be a good option for my wife though. I do like a lot of things about the flex drive but I think I will pass on Jackson do to the available models are not exactly what I want. I feel the price is too high for sacrificing things like weight and size

Slowly narrowing it down and I am finding myself looking at Hobie and old Town
Old 08-19-2020, 05:54 PM

I see someone selling a used hobie 12' on facebook here. I'm not certain which one it is. I'm not to familiar with hobie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1745...oved&ref=notif

Respect wildlife
Old 08-20-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I see someone selling a used hobie 12' on facebook here. I'm not certain which one it is. I'm not to familiar with hobie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1745...oved&ref=notif
I don’t have Facebook and it’s a private page so not going to work

Either way decided not to rush and research. Goal is to have them ready to go for spring