Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Wow, I never realized.....

Now I feel guilty for arguing with you. It makes sense now.
Just because I use a reel upside down doesn’t mean we are kin.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
but you have something in common.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for verifying my last post. I feel guilty enough already, I’m not going pick on you anymore.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Your alright....I do everything the wrong way but it's my way so it's the right way.....but ya gotta be careful you might offend someone along the way nowadays

I just sit back and enjoy the show....
This is a funny thread, because it reminds me of a guy I grew up with.

He never had the money to buy a fishing rod so like any kid he borrowed his dads fishing rod. Because he wound the line backwards to his dad, he did exactly as buckbrush', he put the reel facing up.....He just adapted.

Same story golfing. His dad hit right and my buddy hit left....Yes you guessed it he swung cross handed and to this day he still fishes with the reel up and swings cross handed and even did so playing baseball...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:38 AM

These must the same people that wear masks in the car alone.
It drives me a bit nuts when I see that. Someone mentioned seeing it on TV as well, I remember seeing that too, all I could think was 'how can this dumb*** know how to survive when he cant use a reel the right way?'
Old 08-21-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
This is a funny thread, because it reminds me of a guy I grew up with.

He never had the money to buy a fishing rod so like any kid he borrowed his dads fishing rod. Because he wound the line backwards to his dad, he did exactly as buckbrush', he put the reel facing up.....He just adapted.

Same story golfing. His dad hit right and my buddy hit left....Yes you guessed it he swung cross handed and to this day he still fishes with the reel up and swings cross handed and even did so playing baseball...
perfectly fine...if it works and your having fun carry on....people attempt to be typical or set...I prefer non-typical but even if you watch the typical person they don't even know that they are all different...non typicals….shhhh don't tell'em.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:12 AM

First thing that comes to mind when I see someone with the spinning reel upside down is incompetence or newbie. It takes mere seconds to switch a reel handle to the opposite side and rods aren't designed to bend backwards. Nevermind how much the balance is off with a spinning reel held on top.

To each their own though. I won't let anyone use my gear incorrectly, but I really don't care what people do with their own stuff.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 AM

After seeing how many are triggered here, I've lost all desire to switch to "normal" this is way too entertaining.

I'm reminded of the time a guy I worked with walked into the bathroom while I was wiping my ass. He took one look at me and turned around. Then before shutting the door he says "You wipe while sitting down! What's wrong with you?"

Now this left me puzzled so I had to ask what he meant. Apparently he has always stood up to wipe and that's the way he was taught. I was confused by the mechanics and efficiency of that but I didn't try to get the guy to change his ways or follow him around trying to teach him the "proper" way. I just went on with my day.
It wasn't the way I do it but if it works for him, why should I worry?
Old 08-21-2020, 09:54 AM

Some people are always triggered. Check out the over scope thread. Lol We all have our own methods that we enjoy for various reasons. With that said the rod wouldn’t feel right to hold while reeling to me as I like the reel between my fingers in case I am not paying enough attention while fishing. (Kids)
Old 08-21-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I got an easy fix. Buy a baitcaster.

Problem solved! Now you're normal, Thank me later.
left or right handed?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-21-2020, 10:03 AM

reel the way you feel comfortable. fish dont give a crap which way your reel is. and it gives the rest of us something to smile about.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 AM

I don't care how someone uses their fishing reel, but I will say that the way the OP describes is normally a beginner's method. Then again, I've seen fairly experienced fishermen use a Zebco "push button" reel. To each their own.

I'm just perplexed at the usage of the word "run" on this forum
Old 08-21-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
After seeing how many are triggered here, I've lost all desire to switch to "normal" this is way too entertaining.

. I just went on with my day.

It wasn't the way I do it but if it works for him, why should I worry?
That's the best way to look at it ….. do your thing ….. what may bother someone else, as long as it doesn't hurt them, is your own business. Everyone has "things" they do that annoy others ….

I shoot a gun right handed, use a left handed bow.

I swing right in golf, but shoot left in hockey.

Can't explain why - but it works for me. This reel upside down thing works for you ….. so never mind the rest of us - we will get over it.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I don't care how someone uses their fishing reel, but I will say that the way the OP describes is normally a beginner's method. Then again, I've seen fairly experienced fishermen use a Zebco "push button" reel. To each their own.

I have over $1000 of rods and reels and I still use my little Zebco for perch.
WDF
Old 08-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
left or right handed?
flip it over and turn that backbone into a front bone....or something like that...

Old 08-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Some people are always triggered. Check out the over scope thread. Lol We all have our own methods that we enjoy for various reasons. With that said the rod wouldn’t feel right to hold while reeling to me as I like the reel between my fingers in case I am not paying enough attention while fishing. (Kids)
maybe most are over "reeled" for the application...throw in the fact that the rod has bones too....man I am learning things on this thread...if you seen my homemade pieced together rods people would just laugh and then the reels I throw on'em but I cant justify not using broken old things that are functional albeit not properly to the common modern angler...

Old 08-21-2020, 03:32 PM

I've had a few people ask me where I got my right hand reels from... told them special order just go to the counter at your favorite fishing store and ask to order a right hand reel.

I did this once at Canadian Tire and I am sure the girl is still looking for a right hand diawa.

BW
Old 08-21-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I've had a few people ask me where I got my right hand reels from... told them special order just go to the counter at your favorite fishing store and ask to order a right hand reel.

I did this once at Canadian Tire and I am sure the girl is still looking for a right hand diawa.

BW
oh and make sure the reel is calibrated prior to leaving the store for the game fish you wish to pursue...a bass calibrated reel will not catch walleye...there should be paperwork/sticker indicating this somewhere in the box or on the reel.....that is why anglers have so many reels/rods.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 PM

Right handed people generally reel with their left hand.

So..........

Unscrew and remove the handle. Insert it from the other side and tighten everything up.
Your rod and reel are now set up for left hand use.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

So..........

Unscrew and remove the handle. Insert it from the other side and tighten everything up.

I cast and retrieve with my right hand, just like I do with a spincast or bait casting reel. When you think about it, why would a person not do that with all three types of reels? But I do have a spinning reel below the rod , as it is designed to be used.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 PM

I cast my spinning rods with my left hand and reel with my right.

I cast my fly rods with my right and and reel with my left.

BW
Old 08-21-2020, 10:30 PM

I do for all my fishing

haa haa to the nah Sayers

each to there own

still works

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001_zps208798c0.jpg (81.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 12# IGFA line class WR RMWF.jpg (42.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 11154600_10152702811485776_1444643436526128325_o.jpg (70.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 101.jpg (90.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

So..........

That's perfect ........... you ruined my idea - I was going to offer to "convert" his "wrong handed reels" into "right handed reels" and charge him 10 buck a pop ........
Old 08-21-2020, 11:18 PM

Not meaning to denigrate anyone's gear preference or usage of such either.

First fishing kit I was gifted with at 8 yrs of age was a fine octagonal 9 foot split bamboo spinning rod and reel loaded with a bail full of robust 3lb test mono, huge size 16 and 18 snelled hooks with 1 lb test leaders destined to fool the wiliest Tench, Bream, and once in a while a German Brown trout from the local pay by hour marked on the bank numbered fishing spot.

Gave me many faithful years of service till at the ripe old age of 12 we emigrated from ye ol Blighty to this fantastic paradise for a budding outdoors-man such as myself called Alberta. This was my sole limited of one item that I was allowed to bring aboard the plane. Every other non clothing toy/keepsake collectable item was left/donated to cousins/family back there.

Once here It was as such demonstrated as being far too light for such huge North American species.
As upon our first family excursion in mid June 1969 Whitemud Park, once the North Sask river became fish able.
Having zero experience we managed to get hooked up to some leviathan of the deep, Perhaps even a sturgeon as it were no pike glimpsed from above as my Father and I chased it downstream.

Later that summer 1/2 cent per flyer cash from delivery of same bolstered by a bit extra from aiding the local milkman on his rounds.

I visited the awe inspiring sportsman's boutique known locally as the Whyte avenue Army and Navy. There I purchased a modern wonder a 6 ft unnamed Fiberglas Rod with a closed face spinning reel and 12lb test line veritable marvel. being as I had always been a right hand cast, reel left the set up was On sale as it was counter to the current populations cast left reel right.

This propitious saving allowed me the bonus upon recommendation of a friendly knowledgeable saleslady purchase of 6 Len Thompson spoons 2 Red devils 2 five of Diamonds both yellow and reds 2 Green frog patterns 2 bright Orange and Silver Hammered finish Wonderlures and a selection of wire leaders and a plastic flat tray box.

With this set up for the following 2 seasons. I did terrorize the resident population of Pike and even a few Whitefish and Goldeye from below the U.o.A campus to the old low level bridge.

Once my the family expanded its horizons and were able to trek to Jasper and many weekend trips to Northern lakes up Athabasca way with that rod I even caught my personal Best Northern pike coming in at over 26 lbs on a rusty scale that would read 7.5 lb with a 10 lb bag of potatoes hung on it on the evening of my 16th birthday in May of 1973.

Vivid in my mind is holding that fish by the gills with both hands its jaw level with my own and its tail flat on the ground at 16 I was exactly 1 inch shorter than my mothers 5'7" . I still remember the scream of profanity from my Dads friend when I broke a full bottle of beer {His Last in the boat I think} over its head so it wouldn't jump out of the boat.

Sadly that rod ended up broken in the spokes of my Bike that same summer once as we we moved to the north Side and I then needed a bike to access the river.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 08-21-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
It’s English. What’s confusing you about it?
Old 08-22-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
It’s English. What’s confusing you about it?
Everyone on this thread is having a little fun with it. And you bring this?

:sHa_sarcastic lol:

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-22-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:16 PM

everytime I see people holding the reel upside down I always have this itch to walk over and educate them on how to use it properly lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-22-2020, 02:39 PM
Banned

Haha. I grew up fishing the Red River near Lockport Manitoba. No shortage of people using this technique on the shores there.
Miss those channel cats.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:58 PM

So with the spinning reel facing up, that has to be right cause if it is under, then would it not be the upside down I tried it facing up, don't work for me, seems like backwards reeling. Tried it down side left hand reeling, I'm right handed. Cast with both hands right or left, spinning and bait caster not fly rod. I do have one reel that I'm sure cannot switch handle to other side. Drives me nuts but my girlfriend likes it. I'm sure most here have it wrong anyways..... you gotta get the right or the left hand rods. Then your reels will fit for your preference. I have a few for which ever side of the boat I fish from
Old 08-22-2020, 07:12 PM

Awesome thread!! For 30 years I ran them that way, even bought casting rods with the hook so my finger felt right. One thing I enjoy about reel up, when trolling I can just undo the transmission & let the reel feed the line backwards when I want more depth. Fun to watch & relaxing to boot. Drive the boat into oncoming traffic, shorelines, pedestrians, etc, but still relaxing!