Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Default Lake Minnewanka

I am thinking of going there this weekend, is the ice all gone and does anyone know if they are catching any fish? (No, I am not asking for a spot just whether or not the Lake trout are biting)
Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Well I was in Banff 2 weeks ago and a F&W said that it was thawed, I'm actually gonna head out there this weekend too. I don't know any spots because this will be my first time on this lake, but I'm sure using spoons and crankbaits will work for just about anything in the lake. If you aren't having any luck there try the bow river, it is very good at this time of year.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Fishingnutter

If I could figure out how to do google maps I could show you several places,, however; if you are in a boat, bring a pre measured line to 60 feet and try to stay on a spot that depth. If using a spoon, best colour I find is light turquoise or pale green with some white, work the lure at a ten foot range from the bottom as you would a buzz bomb, no leader and if you can get it, the Maxima Ultragreen 8lb test. If you wait an hour I should have figured out a crude map of a 60' deep area.

If they had a thermometer that you could lower down to a reading of 41 Farenheit that would be great,,, NOT 39F, 41.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM

Wow, thanks a million!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Fishingnutter

Last edited by Fishingnutter; 05-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Fishingnutter

OK,, the two crude yellow lines are a bit fat, just make sure that you are 200 yards off shore thereabouts.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1274318732
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishin hole2.jpg (82.5 KB, 577 views)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Fishingnutter

make sure your lure is about 3 inches long, medium action rod, slow steady reel in on the uptake of slack and not overly aggressive on your pull up. if you are boating on this lake as a first timer, i suggest not to anchor at all, the wind and waves have fetch faster and bigger than the ocean and it's a very very frigid lake.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Fishingnutter

Many moons ago,, while waiting for my dad to show up with the boat, I was fudging about (as kids do) about midway on the dam. I put a Huge pike lure on, giant Len Thompson Red & White and caught a 9 pound Lake Trout. What made that Long weekend catch so much better, was the amount of people walking by saying I was wasting my time. I hate being smug but ooooh that felt good.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Fishingnutter

Just remembered why I stopped fishing for Lake Trout; when you bring them up from a depth, even 60 feet, they are bloated from decompression, and I felt terribly bad about this and stuck to fishing the more shallow breeds. Does anyone know if released fish from the depths fair well on release?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingnutter View Post
Many moons ago,, while waiting for my dad to show up with the boat, I was fudging about (as kids do) about midway on the dam. I put a Huge pike lure on, giant Len Thompson Red & White and caught a 9 pound Lake Trout. What made that Long weekend catch so much better, was the amount of people walking by saying I was wasting my time. I hate being smug but ooooh that felt good.
A few years ago, I was diving off the 'cliff's' just on that point on the east end of the day use area. It was pretty choppy, so I guess people didn't see our air bubbles. Anyhow, this len thompson lure goes right past me, so I reached out and grabbed the line, wrapped around my hand (dry gloves) and gave er a few good tugs. Kept this guy fighting the 'big fish' for a while and surfaced. Had a good laugh over it.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM
KyleM

Its called "the bends" and fish, if brought up to fast will die eventhough they will swim away. Mortalilty rate increases ofcourse which is why its a good idea to C&R fish for Lakers in the spring when they arent to deep...During the summer its best to keep them IMO

Fishingnutter, they do have a therm. that is built into your downrigger line.
It gives you a thermocline read out which will definately aid you in catching fish, I used to use them all the time but theres not enough deep water out here to carry a downrigger with the line on the boat....mainly used them for Salmon as Im not a huge Laker fisherman myself.

You can buy the line with a sensor in it which is very pricey but will give you a direct graph of the lakes temp from top to bottom or you can go the poor mans route and attatch a remote thermometer to your downrigger ball....keep an eye on the read out for your change in temp and bingo-bango you got it.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
Its called "the bends" and fish, if brought up to fast will die eventhough they will swim away. Mortalilty rate increases ofcourse which is why its a good idea to C&R fish for Lakers in the spring when they arent to deep...During the summer its best to keep them IMO

Lake trout are actually one of the few fish that can vent their air bladder. They can actually burp and release the pressure as it builds. If you bring them up slowly, they do fine when caught from the depths. Other fish not so much.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
KyleM

Yeah which is why I said "to fast"
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Ok, I got skunked 2 weeks ago (3 times at getting skunked) when I went after the lakers - but, I am going there again this week. The park staff at the boat launch said the fishing was real good (one laker in the 25lb range came out on opening day), but who knows. I have yet to catch one of these. I have forced two experienced fishing guys to come with me this week, but if any of you have any tips (what lures are working at Lake Minnewanka specifically and what depths etc) it would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM

60-70 feet so I hear.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 AM
sheephunter

Hope to get out this weekend myself. I'll be jigging. I suspect in less than 40 feet of water.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM

If you're jiggin, maybe try 25 feet or so.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
If you're jiggin, maybe try 25 feet or so.
I'll be watching the sonar closely If you see them, you can usually catch them.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 AM

sheephunter will you be jigging bondys or what if you don't mind m asking
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
sheephunter

Never tried them but likely will. I usually use white tube jigs or Fuzz-E-Grubs.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM

We will be out on Saturday as well, looking to beat the fish I pulled out last spring, 22lbs.

See you out there. We'll be in the Lund 1850 Tyee, stop by and say hello if you see us!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
sheephunter

We'll be in a Tracker tiller with a stinky black and white dog in it
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM

If you see a big blob on the sonar, swimming rather slowly at about +/- 80 ft of depth, that could possibly be me...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Hey Diver, Don't be tuggin' on my Lenny!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Hey Diver, Don't be tuggin' on my Lenny!
I said parden ???
Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM
sheephunter

Don't forget to sterilize your boat before going. Even being in posession of lead weights or jigs or scented rubber baits is enough to get you a ticket. It doesn't have to be tied on your line. If your boat is like mine, there are always jigs laying everywhere in it...lol

We'll be out Sunday.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Don't forget to sterilize your boat before going. Even being in posession of lead weights or jigs or scented rubber baits is enough to get you a ticket. It doesn't have to be tied on your line. If your boat is like mine, there are always jigs laying everywhere in it...lol

We'll be out Sunday.

Whoe good catch there Sheep,, I never would of thought of that. I just went and checked the regs and yah it say that you can't even be in possession of such things.

I am hoping to get out to the lake this year and after reading what you wrote I was worried that I couldn't use the downriggers.. But the regs clearly state no lead bellow 50 grams so downrigger weights will be fine.

Thx and again could note..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Whoe good catch there Sheep,, I never would of thought of that. I just went and checked the regs and yah it say that you can't even be in possession of such things.

I am hoping to get out to the lake this year and after reading what you wrote I was worried that I couldn't use the downriggers.. But the regs clearly state no lead bellow 50 grams so downrigger weights will be fine.

Thx and again could note..
Ya, downrigger balls are no problem....I guess the Feds figure a loon would have a hard time swallowing one....lol

Be sure you have your safe boating card with you too.

I'm loaded up with bismuth jigs and non-scented rubber bodies so I'm ready to go! Fresh trout for dinner on Sunday night!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ya, downrigger balls are no problem....I guess the Feds figure a loon would have a hard time swallowing one....lol

Be sure you have your safe boating card with you too.

I'm loaded up with bismuth jigs and non-scented rubber bodies so I'm ready to go! Fresh trout for dinner on Sunday night!
50 grams converts to 1.76 ounces. I know they are not common in this part of the world but there are jigs that are this and heavier. Not saying they would work nor that I would use them but I do have a few Hali jigs that would fit this bill..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
sheephunter

We typically use 3/8 ounce jigs but I'm going to give the big Bondy Baits a try Sunday.