Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 PM

Default Burnstick Perch this time of year

Hey all,

Father-in-law wants to try some fishing this weekend out at Burnstick, and I figure it's a good time to introduce the kids to canoe fishing for perch while I try for a pike.

I've done some research here - will try maggots and minnows on jiggs and little spoons for the kids. I don't have camera's or a fish finder, but... does anyone have any idea what depth the perch are at right now? The reading I've done suggests that in the winter they like the 30 FOW depth, but now with warmer weather, will they be up fairly shallow? Not really concerned about size, just that the kids are catching something and not bored.

Thanks in advance folks.

T.

Last edited by trevorp; 07-06-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 PM

was up there last weekend and was catching em right from shore
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarhunter View Post
was up there last weekend and was catching em right from shore
X2. Head down to the end farthest away from the public camp ground (south end I think). We were catching Perch with maggots in just a few feet of water. If they aren't biting head out away from the shore just a bit around the lilly pads for Pike. Hope you have a great time!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!

Heading out tomorrow. Here's hoping the tornadoes out there didn't throw the fish off too badly...

Interesting note - I used to work quite a bit in Cuba. The lobsters were THICK and PLENTIFUL for a few days after a hurricane went through. Anyone notice the same thing with fishing??

T.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the advice!! It was pretty windy up at Burntstick last weekend, but we still had a blast. The kids caught (and released) a tonne of perch, and I caught a few pike.

At about 3PM on Sunday I asked the kids if they wanted to go home early and play video games, and got a resounding "NO! We want to stay"!

Good times indeed.

T.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorp View Post
Thanks for the advice!! It was pretty windy up at Burntstick last weekend, but we still had a blast. The kids caught (and released) a tonne of perch, and I caught a few pike.

At about 3PM on Sunday I asked the kids if they wanted to go home early and play video games, and got a resounding "NO! We want to stay"!

Good times indeed.

T.
Great to hear Trevor. Im glad you guy's got into some fish. Were any of the Perch a decent size? (7"+) I remember catching larger Perch out of Burtstick more often a few years ago but now I only seem to catch little ones. Just curoius, thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Great to hear Trevor. Im glad you guy's got into some fish. Were any of the Perch a decent size? (7"+) I remember catching larger Perch out of Burtstick more often a few years ago but now I only seem to catch little ones. Just curoius, thanks!
We didn't keep any, but there were a couple that the kids caught that were in the 7 inch range. If not 7, then really close to it. BUT... I talked to a few of the folks there that were further out into the lake. They were having quite a bit of Perch success with maggots and worms circling the deeper holes out in the lake. Probably in the 10-12 inch range.

T.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:16 PM

So they are still in there! It must be my fishing epertise. I gotta get one of those underwater cameras and start getting a better look. Anyway thanks for the response! Have a good one.