Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Question Best Poacher Story?

Hey y'all,
I'm assuming a few of you have come across a few poachers in your day. I certainly have. So my question is; what is your most exciting poacher story?
Here's mine haahha:
So I was fishing the Cowichan River on Vancouver island, and I pulled up in the car and these two guys were fishing for rainbow trout/steelhead.
So I walk up to them (for a moment they were scared that I was a cop), and ask if they've caught anything yet. And they claim that they have. So I ask them what they are using, and they give me the answer "Yo man, the good stuff". So my gut gets going and I feel a little suspicious.
So I start fishing beside them and I see that they are using cured salmon eggs (And this was a C&R fishery with a bait ban in effect). I look over and they noticed that I knew. So they start asking me about where I'm from and all. After a while they had a pile of maybe 8-10 WILD rainbow trout.
After I noticed that their pile was so huge they broke out a bunch of weed and started to smoke it. After being offered (and rejecting it) I thought it was time to pack up. But for some reason they chose to book it out of there before me...
And I know you guys are thinking right now; why didn't I call RAPP. Well the problem was I didn't have a cell phone and I wouldn't have had service. Quite an adventure!
I'm curious to hear yours!
Cheers,
AF
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM

i love the cowichan run, many steel and salmon and big browns as well, its a great system on the island love tubbing it, hate idiiots poaching it next time throw em in
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
i love the cowichan run, many steel and salmon and big browns as well, its a great system on the island love tubbing it, hate idiiots poaching it next time throw em in
I would, but then it would wreck the back eddie and I would have no chance at hooking a fish! Just kidding, of course, but they were pretty sketchy...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:54 PM

my good friends guide on that river, theres probably some coho in the river right now still chrome wouldnt suprise me ive caught them there in late july they put up the best fight when they just enter the river for the first week nice and chorme still having see lice on em, what a rush and steel come up and look for some left over salmon eggs to eat
Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

lol. just the title of this thread screams IBTL. My favorite poacher story is any one that is posted on this forum that includes a race in the description

Id share a poacher story but I dont have any.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
my good friends guide on that river, theres probably some coho in the river right now still chrome wouldnt suprise me ive caught them there in late july they put up the best fight when they just enter the river for the first week nice and chorme still having see lice on em, what a rush and steel come up and look for some left over salmon eggs to eat
I'm flying out to the Cowichan river next week. Will the Coho run still be on? Any tips? It's a little hard fly fishing there because there isn't much room to back-cast. And I don't have a spey setup But I'll manage...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM

a story about poaching tonight on cbs at 6, its about poaching fish selling them to resturants and what not, yes coho will be running for a few months, coho and kings chums will follow but they wont go all the way up the river as they cant jump as high as coho and king or tyee, use pink colors for coho they love it, as well you should get into steel with pink.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
a story about poaching tonight on cbs at 6, its about poaching fish selling them to resturants and what not, yes coho will be running for a few months, coho and kings chums will follow but they wont go all the way up the river as they cant jump as high as coho and king or tyee, use pink colors for coho they love it, as well you should get into steel with pink.
Thanks for all your help! One more question, what would be the best place to target them, above the falls or below (where legal obviously) or near the river mouth next to the ocean (and use spawn sacs, because it's legal there)?
And, I will sure check out that story. It should be interesting.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:23 PM

i dont know the regs in b.c vancouver island but fish the mouth or any pool into the river from the mouth your garanteed fish chek the regs before you go out and slay some fish
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
i dont know the regs in b.c vancouver island but fish the mouth or any pool into the river from the mouth your garanteed fish chek the regs before you go out and slay some fish
Thanks, cheers
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM

good stories everyone.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Best you sure captained this sinking ship out of deep water....lol
Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Ha I love this thread already.....ummmm let me see.....search my name and then add "poachers" and "boot" in the search criteria and you will likely see all of the stories I have had! LOL. JK Boot you know I love you

In all seriousness one of the best poacher stories I have just happened this week....check this thread with a picture of me holding a fish we (Loki610 and I) snapped quite literally from the poachers hands to release...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=95532

LC
Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Sorry for bringing up a sensitive subject all, I just wanted to discuss these matters (diplomatically). It's a very interesting topic and I am/was interested in hearing some. But I apologize for my mistake.
Cheers,
AF
Old 07-15-2011, 03:17 AM
Banned

I shot a dog that was running deer up by Lumberton BC years ago.

A doe went whipping past...and she had obviously been running hard. Then...out pops the reason...a big old lab mix.
To be honest...I thought it was feral but...no matter...it was unlawful and the province obliged hunters to shoot dogs running big game other than cougars..and I think bear.
So up comes Mr Lee Enfield and out goes 180 grains of how do you like them apples...and down goes one rogue canine.

Anyway...this fella pops out of the tree line a few moments later. Obviously he'd heard the shot. He spotted me and said...Did you get it?

Now..you have to appreciate that I was still basking in the glory of doing the right thing and lets face it a pretty slick snap 80 meter running shot through fairly dense wood with a 70 dollar 60 year old rifle and iron sights....so you can appreciate that it never occured to me that he might NOT be talking about the dog I'd just sent to the afterlife.

So I proudly declaired... i sure did mister! And the SOB is right over there.

oops...super oops...

Imagine his surprise...
Imagine mine...
He was soooo ****ed...I thought we were gonna have a shootout for a few minutes. Then the threats started...he was gonna sue...he was gonna hammer me...
Now don't get me wrong...I love dogs...but the darn thing was rogue and enough is enough so...
I just pointed out that there was a fish cop checking everyone at the bottom of the valley that might be even more interested in his dog than he was and...he booked...

Too bad though...probably a really nice dog...rotten luck to have an owner that would put him up to that....jerk.

Anyway the upshot is..it was all a bluff i was 16 and there was no way i was going to pass that fish cop on the way out...I couldn't legally hunt by myself for 2 more months...lol
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 AM

My favorite poacher stories are the ones that end with the offenders gettting caught by CO's.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
My favorite poacher stories are the ones that end with the offenders gettting caught by CO's.
Dddddrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy lol.