Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

Default salmon fishing

just wondering if anybody here has any experiences (good or bad) with fishing charters in queen charrolette or prince reupert and who would you recomend or avoid... thanx in advance
Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 AM

I,ve gone to the Queen Charlotte's 3 times and West Coast Resorts is a great one to go with first class, as for Rupert call Fred Triple T Charters great guy and works hard http://www.tripletcharters.com/
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Several friends of mine have gone to Langara lodge and have never been dissapointed. Private guide per boat and top notch food and accommodations.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

Terry fishing charter, they were excellent both times i went with them. also used kaien sports one time, very disappointing i would never waste my time with them again. there both in prince rupert.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 PM

i been with oak bay marines qc princess and langara lodge. langara lodge is definately top notch but u pay for it too. if you are somewhat experienced and want to save a few bucks i'd go with oak bay
Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Default Charters

I've been on a couple of charters out of Rupert and one out of Kitimat. I really enjoyed the one out of Kitimat but both the charters out of Rupert were disapointing. Not from a fish catching standpoint. But from a respect standpoint. I found the guides in Rupert (and I only have the experience of 2) were quite disrespectful. One guy yelled at my friend and dtressed him down for being stupid when he didn't get to a rod quick enough. Yes my friend blew it, but he is also the one paying the bill. I did not find that appropriate. The other guide was simpoly a pompous twerp. He warned my brother and I that if we didn't like his smoking a joint he would kick us out on the nearest island. Both my brother and I were easily twice this kids size and I almost asked him to try, but I still had fish to catch. The two guides in Rupert were Fish Killer and Quantum. I can't remember the name of the guy in Kitimat. In all cases the fishing was great.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

thanx for all the info guys much appreciated
Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
Several friends of mine have gone to Langara lodge and have never been dissapointed. Private guide per boat and top notch food and accommodations.
X2

I organize trips for 110 guys every year to Langara Fishing Lodge... We keep going back for a reason. Fishing should be great this year... Don't miss out!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM

DO NOT use West Coast fishing charters. Fishing was terrible, customer service was terrible, prices are high and the owner, Brian Grange, has a poor attitude towards the customers. If you want to know more feel free to contact me and I can give you the whole story.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

Default Lil

We go to Langara Island Lodge...not cheap but you get what you pay for!!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 AM

I was lucky enough to get in on the Husky fishing trip last spring at Langara Fishing Lodge. The fishing was assume and susposed to be better this year! It was a great trip and a great bunch of guys, I'de love to go back. It's not cheap but it's worth every penny.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 AM

It depends on how high end you want to go. Langara, Masset House, West Coast Fishing Club are all first rate but very expensive and thus not for everone. There are MUCH cheaper ways to fish the Charlottes and still have a great experience. We drive to Prince Rupert from North Vancouver(17 hrs) and my dad comes from Calgary(17 hrs) and take the ferry over. We have our own boat and house over there but a few of our neighbors are guides that seem to have had happy clients in the past and I think they charge around $800+/-??.
So by renting a house and a separate guide you get to decide if you want to fish every day or explore the area. I works out to be pretty reasonable if split between a few guys. I'm driving my new-to-me boat towing truck up their in 2 weeks (and to get in one last deer hunt) and if you want I will get some prices for day guides for you.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

Default Good Idea

Scott that's a good idea. It would be much appreciated if you could get some rates. Also when the weather blows you off the water you are not stuck in a finite time frame. Thanks

Also Jamie on the forum indicated he had purchased a lodge up there....maybe special AO Forum member rates
Old 01-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTRAPPING View Post
Scott that's a good idea. It would be much appreciated if you could get some rates. Also when the weather blows you off the water you are not stuck in a finite time frame. Thanks

Also Jamie on the forum indicated he had purchased a lodge up there....maybe special AO Forum member rates
Yah that's a big issue for those that haven't been up there. When the weather is not favorable you really are out of luck if all you are there for is salt water fishing. A lot of people spend their whole trip up there on the beach clamming/crabbing/quadding.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 AM

I worked For Oakbay on the MV marabel, and also in rivers inlet (kingsalmon lodge) so I'm a little biased, but if u do want to save a few bucks - and are a quik learner. then unguided is the way to go even if u are a slow learner, if u go up to QC and get the techniques half right ur bound to catch fish and have fun.. but if u get the techniques perfect u never know howmany fish ull find out there
Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

We have our own boat and house over there but a few in the past and I think they charge around $800+/-??.
and if you want I will get some prices for day guides for you.[/QUOTE]

that would be very much appreciated if you could get me some price quotes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMfishing View Post
I worked For Oakbay on the MV marabel, and also in rivers inlet (kingsalmon lodge) so I'm a little biased, but if u do want to save a few bucks - and are a quik learner. then unguided is the way to go even if u are a slow learner, if u go up to QC and get the techniques half right ur bound to catch fish and have fun.. but if u get the techniques perfect u never know howmany fish ull find out there
that is what i've been thinking i could do it myself, but everybody i talk to (friends,family) seems to think i would be wasting my time without a guide i been fresh water fishing since i was half as big as a trout but i never been salmon fishing... what about spearfishing? is that allowed out there?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Yah that's a big issue for those that haven't been up there. When the weather is not favorable you really are out of luck if all you are there for is salt water fishing. A lot of people spend their whole trip up there on the beach clamming/crabbing/quadding.
Scott, that hasent been my experiance with being on the Charlottes and the main land. Biggest thing to being comfortable is good boats, safe boats, qualifed guides and boats that have hard walled cabins and heat.

Only one time in 12 years of going, have I been drove off the water. And even then we waited a few hours and went right back out.

I did the whole Daytripper thing last year and I really didnt appreciate it. It's a much different style of fishing than what I and my group like.

Good luck
Jamie
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM

We have had great fishing with Terrace sportfishing. This is out of rupert for ocean and out of Terrace for river fishing. Jaron knows his stuff and will put you on fish. Cant wait to go again..
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM

Smile

Hey Jamie
We've been blown off the water a lot of times in the last 12 years we've been going out there.
I wonder if you've been out at Langara?? Being a smaller island they have the ability to find a hidden spot on one side or the other no matter what direction the wind. Being in the Masset area we do get thrown for a loop when we get winds from the north. Luckily we can usually wait out the weather (3 blocks to a BC liquor store) but we have had friends come up for 3 days and not been able to get them out.
I have a Northriver seahawk 21ft that is relatively comfortable for the fishing we do, but some days its just not worth pushing it.
There are guys every year fishing from 16 and 17 ft boats that they tow from Alberta. Lots of them do well as long as they don't push their luck . It's can be close to shore fishing and easy to follow guys out to the hot spots. You don't have far to run and there are usually enough fish around that you don't have to be a seasoned salmon fisher to do well on your own. Thats how I started (16 foot ski boat that I towed from Gull lake).
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default Langara

Even going to Langara...out of 12 trips I know two of them we were completely blown off the water for all but one and a half days and the other trips probably a total of 6 days for all.

Still our favorite yearly tradition.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

With Langara you can usually find a place no matter where the winds come from. But the fishing isnt what it has been. Speaking with the guides and going up every year, the last good year they had was 4 years ago. To make matters worse, I have seen very many trollers out there fishing for salmon. The fishing has gotten so bad we were catchin salmon sharks consistently and the salmon were so sparse, many boats actually decided to fish for the salmon sharks as they were the only thing being caught. And if you want to go for halibut, its usually about a 1 hour boat ride out if the winds and waves will allow you to get out there. I will give them this much tho, the spot they take you for halibut is great, not quantity but quality big hali's. We released 2 huge hali's, one over 250lbs and one over 300lbs. But all in all I wouldnt pay the premium for sub par fishing on langara, this year was my last year there so now im in search of another place to go to.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
With Langara you can usually find a place no matter where the winds come from. But the fishing isnt what it has been. Speaking with the guides and going up every year, the last good year they had was 4 years ago. To make matters worse, I have seen very many trollers out there fishing for salmon. The fishing has gotten so bad we were catchin salmon sharks consistently and the salmon were so sparse, many boats actually decided to fish for the salmon sharks as they were the only thing being caught. And if you want to go for halibut, its usually about a 1 hour boat ride out if the winds and waves will allow you to get out there. I will give them this much tho, the spot they take you for halibut is great, not quantity but quality big hali's. We released 2 huge hali's, one over 250lbs and one over 300lbs. But all in all I wouldnt pay the premium for sub par fishing on langara, this year was my last year there so now im in search of another place to go to.
Go to the Calgary Sportsmens Show, lots of options available there and meeting face to face helps, altho many places just throw salesmen into a booth and won`t actually be the people you will be fishing with.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
So many factors go into catching salmon...just from the nature side of things. Langara concentrates salmon better than anywheres else insofar as multiple runs going by one place throughout the season. As you get closer to the home stream...the numbers drop as you don't get over lap.

Water temperatures can play havoc and attract sharks like anywheres else. I would rather hook salmon sharks at Langara than Dogfish in Imperial sound.

While all places can have salmon...peak years is the best time for fishing. The last year was great from Spring through Fall. We caught more fish than ever. I have heard all the stories of being skunked...but if any lodge anywheres tells you no one get skunked at their place...run away and spend your money elsewhere.

Pound for pound...location...location...location is the most important factor in planning a fishing trip for salmon. Next is the time of year. While out at Langara...salmon are migrating by from April to November...closer to home streams...the season is shortened. Late arrivals...means fewer fish...Early arrivals...may mean you missed a bunch of them.

Still...everything else aside...I would rather be their trying than back here watching Dimestore Fisherman on the tube.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Scott, that hasent been my experiance with being on the Charlottes and the main land. Biggest thing to being comfortable is good boats, safe boats, qualifed guides and boats that have hard walled cabins and heat.

Only one time in 12 years of going, have I been drove off the water. And even then we waited a few hours and went right back out.

I did the whole Daytripper thing last year and I really didnt appreciate it. It's a much different style of fishing than what I and my group like.

Good luck
Jamie
In 14 trips...I have not been blown off the water. Does not mean it could not happen...weather is unpredictable and the Queen Charlottes has amazing winter storms. Summer can still get gales. Still...whenever one side of the island is wave riddled...the other is fishable. The plan on any fishing trip is as soon as the weather is nice...go get your bottom fish. Some lodges are placed in awkward locations and can be more prone to getting weather stranded. Any lodge that required the majority of fishing the west side next to open Pacific...is Russian Roulette. Always do a 5 day trip rather than 3...you odds go up dramatically that you will bring something home to eat.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM

well well check your pulse........i agree with SUN....good posts !!!!!!!
my second choice is the mouth of the Columbia at Astoria Oregon
Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So many factors go into catching salmon...just from the nature side of things. Langara concentrates salmon better than anywheres else insofar as multiple runs going by one place throughout the season. As you get closer to the home stream...the numbers drop as you don't get over lap.

Water temperatures can play havoc and attract sharks like anywheres else. I would rather hook salmon sharks at Langara than Dogfish in Imperial sound.

While all places can have salmon...peak years is the best time for fishing. The last year was great from Spring through Fall. We caught more fish than ever. I have heard all the stories of being skunked...but if any lodge anywheres tells you no one get skunked at their place...run away and spend your money elsewhere.

Pound for pound...location...location...location is the most important factor in planning a fishing trip for salmon. Next is the time of year. While out at Langara...salmon are migrating by from April to November...closer to home streams...the season is shortened. Late arrivals...means fewer fish...Early arrivals...may mean you missed a bunch of them.

Still...everything else aside...I would rather be their trying than back here watching Dimestore Fisherman on the tube.
Hmmm...I don't agree with that first bolded statement at all...anymore, in the past yes but now many fish just swim right through the area. Could be due to various reasons, not as many baitfish as there used to be, or water temperatures and currents. The fish aren't necessarily taking the same path anymore either. This past year we caught a hatchery fish where we fish out of Hardy that was headed to Bella Coola, so kinda puts a lil dent in the they head south to their river of origin argument.

As for 2nd bolded part, I can say that quite easily about our operation...without a single exception. No one has ever left without fish, even if a one day charter. I don't think it is common someone could say that, but it is very possible should you have the right operation and area to fish.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 PM

I'n my 2 yrs working for Oak bay, I can whole heartidly, and honestly say no-one leaves without a fish... that being said I'm not going to say that theyre will be the one to catch it - as the crew does alot of fishing and usually has their limit sitting in the freezer - so when a guest does not catch a fish they are given one of the crews fish.... and when there are no fish to give OBMG goes to safeway and buys them one..... True story!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 PM

We fished at Naden lodge on the Northern end of Queen Charlotte Islands. It was very expensive, but the lodge was comfortable, the staff and service were good. Probably the best fishing I have ever experienced. The guide was tough, but got us into lots of fish {mostly coho salmon}. I would go back for sure, but the cost is prohibitive. Not the kind of thing I can do every year.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Banned

im buying my own boat (24ft bayliner with cuddy) but i have never fished in the ocean (except spearfishing) any tips on where and how to catch what species would be very appreciated