Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 AM

Default Advice for new hunters

Hey guys,

Question for the experienced hunters. if you had one piece advice for new hunters or someone considering hunting for the first time, what would that be?

Myself and one another new hunter (Kelly) have started a podcast called The Rookie Hunter and would like to read your tips on the show. We hope to share our experiences, encourage prospective hunters, educate non-hunters and provide some laughs for the experienced guys. We also try to navigate some of the more controversial topics around hunting. We don't claim to be experts and are interested to see how our opinions evolve as we continue to gain more experience. You can check it out by following this link to iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357

Thank you for you input. We'll certainly give you shout out if we use your tips.

-Mike
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM

PATIENCE IS KEY. Slow and steady always wins the race. I used to chase game all over the hills untill age slowed me down. I probably walked by many trophies over the years. Now I spend more time sitting and waiting patiently.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM

i wish you success with your new idea...

challenge yourself(s)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 AM

Enjoy the experience of the hunt, it shouldn't be all about the kill. Some of my most enjoyable hunting experiences were when the kill was a long time in coming, or when there was no kill.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Good on you and good luck
Enjoy the hunt, and remember success isn't always in the kill, it's the entire experience.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM

Smile Make sure you can shoot what every you are carrying!

Skill with the gun is obviously the key to a successful kill. If you aren't confident you won't hit what you are shooting at and if you don't practice you won't be confident.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:39 AM

Spend as much (or more) time watching as you do moving.

Get out of the truck.

And from Fred Bear's ten commandments of hunting:

1. Don't step on anything you can step over
2. Don't look for deer, look for movement and remember that's what they're looking for too
3. Always approach from downwind.
4. The best camouflage pattern is "Sit down and be quiet".
5. Take only the gear that lets you hunt longer, smarter and harder.
6. Rain isn't a reason to quit the hunt, it's a reason to stay.
7. Camouflage your appearance, your sound and your scent.
8. Be sure of your shot. Nothing is more expensive than regret.
9. Hunt where the deer are, not where you'd imagine them to be.
10. Next year's hunt starts the minute this season's ends.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Don't tell your wife your going to work and then come home 4 hours late with blood on your clothes.... the jig is up...
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Spend as much (or more) time watching as you do moving.

Get out of the truck.

And from Fred Bear's ten commandments of hunting:

1. Don't step on anything you can step over
2. Don't look for deer, look for movement and remember that's what they're looking for too
3. Always approach from downwind.
4. The best camouflage pattern is "Sit down and be quiet".
5. Take only the gear that lets you hunt longer, smarter and harder.
6. Rain isn't a reason to quit the hunt, it's a reason to stay.
7. Camouflage your appearance, your sound and your scent.
8. Be sure of your shot. Nothing is more expensive than regret.
9. Hunt where the deer are, not where you'd imagine them to be.
10. Next year's hunt starts the minute this season's ends.
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm just starting up after not hunting for 30+ years, I'll be following this thread.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
Don't tell your wife your going to work and then come home 4 hours late with blood on your clothes.... the jig is up...
always tell your wife you're going to be 4 hours later than you think you will be
Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
always tell your wife you're going to be 4 hours later than you think you will be
That won't give her enough time with the vacuum salesman though....
Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM

I couldn't possibly narrow it down to one piece of advice. I'm writing from an intermediate hunter's point of view, this will be year 6 for me chasing deer. Here is my top 5 that I learned from my own experience (most have been mentioned)

1) Patience is key. If you think you've sat long enough, sit for another hour
2) If you're lucky enough to have a mentor, listen to EVERYTHING they say, even if it sounds wacky...chances are they know better than you
3) Hunt where the deer are, not where you'd imagine them to be - I was guilty of this when I first started. Set up on sign!
4) Be versatile...not one method of hunting is a one-size fits all for all scenarios. You'll need to know the basics of stand hunting, setting up a blind in the optimum location, still hunting, and spot and stalk so that you will be able to pick the best strategy for a given location, and also be able to move in and out of the area without being detected.
5) If you're doing everything right, but not getting any luck, do not get down on yourself. Self doubt is, in my opinion, one of the biggest challenges facing a new hunter, it certainly was for me. Pay attention to the basics like wind, scent control, noise, and movement, put yourself in the right locations (bedding areas, feeding areas, and travel routes in between), listen to your instincts, and be patient. It will come together!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 AM

This is all great information for new hunters. Please keep it coming!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357
http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
https://twitter.com/rookie_hunter
Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Talking Clean hands

If you are gutting an animal or Bird and have blood all over your hands, DON`T TAKE A PEE UNTIL YOU WASH YOUR HANDS !!

I made that mistake once and had some explaining to do on " WASH DAY" !!

GOOD THING MY WIFE TRUSTS ME !!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Look for pieces of animals, ears, a white throat patch, a horizontal line in a vertical world.

When glassing look into or through the bush not just the edges. Binoculars help focus through brush surprisingly well.

When moving stop often and look, stop in places you have a shot. Don't stop where you can't shoulder your rifle. Stopping next to a tree you can use for a rest and to break up your profile is nice.

Don't skyline yourself if you don't have to, use the terrain to your advantage just like the animals do.

Don't be walking around in heavy cover with your scope cranked up, if you get a shot where you need more magnification you'll likely have time to crank it up. However if you get an up close shot your chances of turning the scope down are less.

Deer will let you walk right by if they feel like you haven't spotted them, it sounds stupid but avoid eye contact if you find yourself up close and personal.

You'll be learning the rest of your hunting career, those are just my thoughts and experience. Yours and others may differ.

Last edited by Tfng; 03-23-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
If you are gutting an animal or Bird and have blood all over your hands, DON`T TAKE A PEE UNTIL YOU WASH YOUR HANDS !!

I made that mistake once and had some explaining to do on " WASH DAY" !!

GOOD THING MY WIFE TRUSTS ME !!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Right before and after a significant active weather event ( rain, snow, wind) get out there. Seen lots of animals feeding when bad weather is just coming or leaving. They get cold and hungry too
Old 03-23-2016, 12:09 PM

Treat every day as a learning opportunity, obey the law, be ethical and responsible and if you make a mistake..... own up to it.
If the weather is miserable, go out anyway.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM

As a new hunter 2 years ago, I took the opportunity to read every article, listen to every podcast and watch every video I could find. It's unreal how much you can learn and put into action in the field. I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable going into my third season, it has helped immensely that I have hunted WT/Muley/Bear/Moose/Coyote in that short time. I am very proud of 3 harvests in 2 seasons (1 with archery equip).
Old 03-23-2016, 12:58 PM

I like that commercial where they show a few guys in bed and one guy up and ready to hunt ,IF YOU SMELL SOMETHING BURNING ITS JUST DESIRE ,you cant kill them in the cabin . Hunt till last light and get out early .
Old 03-23-2016, 01:09 PM

Every minute spent honing your skills, be it, target practice, scouting, mock stalks, stand building, glassing, and observing, is time well spent. Talking and reading about skills and techniques is maybe 15% of the equation, the other 85% is garnered through the actual doing, and being part of the scene.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Default Be practiced and confident....

...asking for hunting permission.

I've met my share of guys who can shoot sub MOA off the bench who can't have a conversation with a landowner for fear of rejection. You can know your game, your gun and have the best gear in the world... but if your trotting around on crown land with out a horde of slobs around you could be missing out on a very rewarding aspect of the hunt.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM

you can learn a great deal about hunting specific properties or terrain by going into the terrain in all seasons. When are the animals there? why are they there? why do they leave? many of these questions can be answered out of hunting season through spending time in the field in all seasons.

Fully understand the terrain in which you are hunting. Google earth is a very valuable tool we can use to understand a basic idea of a property. Find pinch points , travel corridors etc. Utilize the terrain to your advantage
Old 03-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Banned

Stay green and grow, when you ripen you rot ?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:22 PM

As a farmer/rancher/landowner "ask for permission" from the landowner,
we know better than anyone what is going on, and there are usually problem animals around elk, bear, coyotes etc. that need to be controlled. And if he does not give permission don't treat him like a bad guy there is usually a good reason. Also just because there is a oil road on his land does not mean open season to trespass that road is private property only the oil company, it's sub trades and the landowner can use it, it is still private property, private road. I have caught many impaired road hunters on my property accessing through oil road that seem to think oil roads are the same as public county roads or they use that same excuse, then get rude. It gives all hunters a black eye and i am a hunter. So please respect landowners, we have many issues to deal with , liability for one. And yes my land is posted no trespassing does not seem to matter to alot of people.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Noting beats just getting out there and gaining experience. You can learn a bunch from reading articles/forums but you can't beat experience. I learned a bunch while hunting the elusive bighorn and archery muledeer.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM

Make lots of mistakes. "Failure" is the best teacher.
Find a mentor. Your learning curve will be a lot shorter.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:32 PM

Be respectful of landowners, other hunters and the animals you hunt.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Hunting is the journey, not the destination. Glass lots, move slowly, always be ready, and enjoy the people you are with.

Never glass with your rifle scope... this is what binoculars are for.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 PM

I was taught to respect everything and everybody .
When hunting, it is far more important in my mind to enjoy and learn something and to remember it, than to kill an animal and learn nothing from it.
That way, over the years one learns without even realizing it!
You start recognizing feeding and bedding areas , and how to hunt funnels and other transitions , and know how to set up a goose spread for example, without thinking about it.

Keep stuff simple , there is no need to complicate something as simple as a day in the bush hunting.
Cat

Tags
education, hunting, new hunter