Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2022, 09:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Diesel Wall Tent Heater

Any recommendations? Figuring out what is better, diesel or wood...if went wood would go with the wilderness 5 for our 16'x20' wall tent. But have a few buddies with diesel heaters for their wall tents and they swear by them. Any recommendations would be amazing, going to be a present to someone!

Thanks
David
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 11-10-2022, 10:50 PM

Some research I recently did.

https://www.portablespaceheater.ca/

https://www.stevestonmarine.com/boat.../cabin-heaters

https://www.ruralenergy.com/outdoor-...table-heaters/

Currently I have an old Cabin type heater 2'W X 5'L X 3'H very heavy 150lbs+ approx 10,000-40,000 btu heats my12x16 wall tent well have used to -15C
Old 11-10-2022, 10:55 PM

I’ve got a wood stove in the yurt, it works well at any temperature. Nice dry heat and we can cut wood anywhere and don’t have to worry about running out. The downside is things freeze when the fire goes out, like when you’re hunting all day.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:59 PM
AO Sponsor

also, for a 16'x20' wall tent how many btu are we thinking? See some are 12,00btu, 30,000btu and 50,000btu We don't need it hot in the tent, just nice n luke warm if that makes sense and take the bite out of the cold.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:50 AM

Here is a calculator for heating a tent. Looks like you would need 50K BTU minimum but that's only if the weather is decent.

https://www.cliftonparkrental.com/ap...Size_Guide.pdf

I like wood but hunt with horses so diesel and propane heaters are not an option. Diesel heaters gives consistent temperatures as has been stated above.

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2022, 09:53 AM

We have a Prospector diesel heater for our 16x20 Deluxe Wall tent-love the heater. Its probably on the big size for a heater for our tent size. The Expedition model might be a better choice unless you are going to be doing alot of winter camping-then go with the Prospector model.

A bit warm at times and sometimes has even been shut off completely as outside temps warmed up to be like +10 overnight that it was too hot in the tent. I think over the past 10 years we have only turned up the dial setting from 1 to 2 once as it was like -18C during a hunting trip in the middle of the trip.

Its nice to come back to camp and have a warm tent with consistent heat temps.

I have a great wood stove (built out of thick steel-was a new piece of yellow jacket pipeline pipe) and heats up tent quickly and holds the heat-used initially in my 14x16 tent in the mountains sledding in Kakwa. -30C at times overnight and we were in t-shirts in the tent. Just sucked for the person with the worst sleeping bag in the morning and having to start the fire again.

The guys sleeping the closest to the stove hated it when our hunting party increased by a couple guys and the ROOKIES had to be by the stove. We used it for 1 year in our new 16x20 tent then got the diesel heater.

Inconvenience is now packing diesel jerry cans to camp but we only tub trailer in about 4 miles from the trucks to camp.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:25 AM

approx how many gallons of fuel would you use in a 24 hour period if you left it running on low?
Old 11-14-2022, 12:56 PM

https://www.vevor.ca/diesel-heater-c...hoCol0QAvD_BwE

Guy I work with swears by this diesel heater and its so cheap you could buy two of them.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:34 AM

I run a Seek Outside Redcliff Pyramid tent. I use a large Ti stove that packs down and also a Planar Diesel heater. Perfect setup for 2 guys gear and cots. Rage the wood stove to get the chill off and turn the tent into a sauna. Fire up the diesel heater to keep the chill off for sleeping. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:52 AM

Default Diesel Wall Tent Heater

I have a Expedition Diesel Space Heater and it is absolutely amazing, I am selling a second brand new one. If you are local to Edmonton I would gladly showcase the one I use.

We just got back from a 3 day trip and used about 10 litres after 16ish hours on low.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohlan_4 View Post

Guy I work with swears by this diesel heater and its so cheap you could buy two of them.
I have this exact diesel heater in the 5KW version, all my research told me they are the same heaters. I also bought it off Vevor. We camped this passed weekend in 305 with a 12x20 Alaknak that we also had a 26' wood stove in. Night time lows got to -10 to -20 on the three nights, the diesel heater kept the tent warm enough that no one had to get up to stoke the fire in the night. The tent was cool in the morning but not freezing, around 5-10C. I would fill the heater around 10 pm and check it at 7 am and it had burned around 4 litres of diesel. If you had 2 of these heaters, one at each end, you wouldn't need a stove. The biggest pain in taking the batteries, generator and charger. But compared to having to cut and split a bunch of wood it is easier. Overall I am very impressed with these heaters and plan to use mine for more winter camping and overnight ice fishing trips.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:49 PM

Default wood

Ive never used diesel for heat but used diesel for starter fluid once. I hated the smell of diesel in the tent and never used it since. Just using a propane torch instead of fluid starter.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:23 PM

Diesel heater is awesome, I have a 10x20 tent with a wood stove, wood stove is awesome but won’t last the night so we use the diesel heater, on 20liters we ran it for 4 good days on low maybe high at night, don’t worry about the smell, it’s doesn’t run like a black smokin Cummins, lol
Old 11-16-2022, 01:25 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrainianmudking View Post
I have a Expedition Diesel Space Heater and it is absolutely amazing, I am selling a second brand new one. If you are local to Edmonton I would gladly showcase the one I use.

We just got back from a 3 day trip and used about 10 litres after 16ish hours on low.
Looking at what we have I think we are leaning towards the expedition. We don't need to be boiling, rather sleep cooler than hotter!

Old 11-16-2022, 11:07 AM

Default diesel heater

Dave, if you are using the tent on the island and we all know the rain it gets, consider the larger for the times you need to dry your clothes. Always can open the windows a touch to allow extra heat out if you find it gets too hot.

Good luck and keep us posted, am considering a diesel heater for my 12x14 as well.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Diesel is more adjustable temp wise, and doesn't run out of wood in the middle of the night.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Dave, if you are using the tent on the island and we all know the rain it gets, consider the larger for the times you need to dry your clothes. Always can open the windows a touch to allow extra heat out if you find it gets too hot.

Good luck and keep us posted, am considering a diesel heater for my 12x14 as well.
Actually for mule deer hunting in the interior. Normal temps are highs of 0 to 5 degrees mid day and at night usually down to -6 to -9 or so...although some years it can get down to -18 or so at night.

Have a buddy who just told me they have the diesel heater Expedition, and it heats his big wall tent (same size as ours) very well, won't make it boiling hot but don't want that anyway. He has had it in down to -15 or so. Expedition is mid size one, larger one is prospecter.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:17 AM

I hate to say it but you guys that burn $2.00/liter diesel to stay warm in a tent when -20oC when forest is full of Free wood may need your head examined. PS just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I hate to say it but you guys that burn $2.00/liter diesel to stay warm in a tent when -20oC when forest is full of Free wood may need your head examined. PS just my opinion.
Someone had to state the obvious. It’s nice to keep stuff from freezing in the tent during the day. Whisky doesn’t freeze too fast and you can put food in the cooler to keep it warm enough to avoid freezing.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:28 PM

I’ve been thinking of trying one of these for certain situations. Sleeping in the back of the truck with a topper on etc.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:28 PM

https://www.vevor.ca/automotive-c_10009
Old 12-07-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohlan_4 View Post

I just bought the exact same one (8kw) and just finished putting it through it's paces.
Tank volume is just under 5 litres (calculated).
When I read that the fuel consumption was under 1/2 litre/hr I was a little skeptical of the output. 8kw is roughly 27,000 BTU's.
Sure enough, this heater uses 1/3 litre/hr (averaged over 9hours), which at 37,500 BTU/ Litre, equals 12,500 BTU of Input.

The heater is far from 100% efficient given that the exhaust is coming out over 220°F.
So if I had to take a random stab at a figure, I would say output is roughly 9-10,000 BTU's.

Power consumption was nearly 12 amps in startup mode with the glow plug on. This lasted for a few minutes.
Once the glow plug shut off the draw was reduced to around 5 amps on highest setting.
On lowest setting the draw dropped to around 2 amps.

My Interstate SRM-31 battery has an amp hour rating of 210, which means I should get roughly 40 hrs of run time on high on a fully charged battery, and about 16 hours on a tank of fuel.

To compare, a Big Buddy inputs roughly 18,000 BTU's and because it exhausts inside, you get basically 100% of those BTU's.

I plan to use a piece of steam hose to extend the exhaust out of the ice tent (Otter), and because rubber is a horrible conductor, it shouldn't melt my tent flap.

Overall, this little heater is awesome. As long as you know its limits.

Hopefully this info helps others.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:19 AM

Edit:
It takes a while for this thing to level out, power wise.
Sustained draw on highest setting bounced between 2.2 and 3.2 amps. Variance seems to come from the diesel pump running or not.
On lowest setting power consumption bounced between 0.6 and 1 amps.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:38 AM

I am interested in this also, I run a 10'x10' Alaknak, do you guys think I can get away without a generator? I would only be running it at night, max 3 days, plus a wood stove.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
I am interested in this also, I run a 10'x10' Alaknak, do you guys think I can get away without a generator? I would only be running it at night, max 3 days, plus a wood stove.
If you've got a group 27 battery or higher you should have no issues running it all night on high for 3 days.
Just check the reserve amps on your battery and divide by 4 (would be 3 amps on average, but give yourself a buffer and use 4).
The number you get will be the hours you can run.
This is assuming your battery is fairly new and fully charged.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:57 PM

Well steam hose didn't cut it. The exhaust is obviously over 400°f and I just didn't get a good read on it with the temp gun. Tomorrow I'll use an actual thermometer.

Also going to come up with an exhaust box (shell and tube style) to draw the circulating air through and cool the exhaust as it passes through.
Should be able to really increase the efficiency of this thing.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:55 PM

I’m looking into getting one of these as well. Partially for the ice fishing tent but I’m also seeing some places around the yard I could use one to heat a few things here and there. Has anyone tried wiring these directly to a 120V to 12V converter so you can just plug it in around the yard without needing a battery? I’d want it on a quick connect so when I do take it out for fishing I can just hook it up to the battery. If you have hooked it up to a converter, let me know of any recommendations on what works well there.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
I’m looking into getting one of these as well. Partially for the ice fishing tent but I’m also seeing some places around the yard I could use one to heat a few things here and there. Has anyone tried wiring these directly to a 120V to 12V converter so you can just plug it in around the yard without needing a battery? I’d want it on a quick connect so when I do take it out for fishing I can just hook it up to the battery. If you have hooked it up to a converter, let me know of any recommendations on what works well there.
Not saying to buy these specifically, but these are what you'relooking for.
Make sure the converter is rated for 15 amps and install a 15 or 20 amp fuse.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07SB4...FJI15TL1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B09JC7...6HVQW8F6&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07B7J...06S3OMVQ&psc=1
Old 12-09-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Well steam hose didn't cut it. The exhaust is obviously over 400°f and I just didn't get a good read on it with the temp gun. Tomorrow I'll use an actual thermometer.

Also going to come up with an exhaust box (shell and tube style) to draw the circulating air through and cool the exhaust as it passes through.
Should be able to really increase the efficiency of this thing.
Are you trying to put the heater inside and vent the exhaust outside? I am using a 3" dryer ducting to route heat inside and leaving the heater outside, just to cut down on diesel smell in the tent and pump noise. But I also put a small piece of eaves trough over the exhaust for the ability to run it under a tent so the exhaust doesn't tough the tent and provides enough air space between the exhaust and eaves trough tin that it won't get hot enough to burn the tent.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
Are you trying to put the heater inside and vent the exhaust outside? I am using a 3" dryer ducting to route heat inside and leaving the heater outside, just to cut down on diesel smell in the tent and pump noise. But I also put a small piece of eaves trough over the exhaust for the ability to run it under a tent so the exhaust doesn't tough the tent and provides enough air space between the exhaust and eaves trough tin that it won't get hot enough to burn the tent.
I definitely am trying to put the unit inside, as the air I'm trying to heat will have a large differential inside vs outside.
I thought about putting it outside and fastening a duct to the inlet and plumbing them both into the tent, but I'd still like to capture that huge amount wasted exhaust heat. This is easier done with the unit inside the tent. So I'm back to inside.