Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2022, 03:13 PM

Default Looking for a Goose Mentor

Is anybody interested in mentoring an aspiring goose hunter in the Calgary area? I'm 42 with 2 boys (10 and 8) who love to go shooting. Fairly new to hunting (3 years). Card carrying conservative. Never been goose hunting before but would like to get into it and learn the ropes. DM me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:34 AM

Default Hunting mentor - Edmonton

I'm a 31 year old female, I am military. Please no creeps! I have always liked crownland camping, hiking, and fishing- but have never had the opportunity to learn about, or go hunting. Now that I'm an adult in my 30's I'm hoping to learn these skills! Not afraid to hike in and out of places or get my hands dirty. Willing to travel.

Mostly hoping to tag along and learn this season. Interested in rifle hunting, bigger game.

Thank-you!
Old 09-18-2022, 07:38 AM

Default Someone take me into this field

I'm a 26 year old man. Currently doing shift work up in Fort Mac, based in Edmonton. Started target shooting in 2016 and accumulated around 12 firearms in all including pumps, rifies, 22s, pistols. Able to do some maintenance and modification to guns and cars. Have some coding background from univ so somehow understand how tech works. Never tried hunting, did a bunch of leg burning hiking and light scrambling in the banff-BC mountains during the summer, not afraid of cold and dirty as well. Hope to learn something, literally interested an anything related to hunting. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2022, 06:08 PM

Newbie looking for others to hunt ducks and geese around calgary…
Old 09-20-2022, 03:40 PM

^

same here, new to the sport and eager to get out there but dont know anyone whos into it.

Willing to travel and help out to learn more!
Old 09-20-2022, 04:30 PM

Some advice for those looking a mentor don’t be surprised you don’t get a response if your only post is in this thread just before or during hunting season.

You will get more of a response if you take time to interact in the forum so members get an idea what kind of person you are. Also a lot of hunters start by scouting in the off season and are more willing to put in the work involved in the whole process

Personally I have mentored a number of people over the years but only those who put in the effort to come out and learn start to finish. This includes coming out to find their own personal hunting pockets before the season instead of just coming out and being put on a deer or a pocket found for them.

(Before I get the PM asking for this season this means starting early spring not early fall)

This post is not a shot at anyone posting here but instead the complete opposition. I am only giving honest advice that will help in your search. The main thing take time to interact on the forum and ask ? about the style of hunting you want to learn about. Showing drive and willingness to learn will get you a long way. Plus people get to see some of your personality too
Old 09-21-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Some advice for those looking a mentor don’t be surprised you don’t get a response if your only post is in this thread just before or during hunting season.

You will get more of a response if you take time to interact in the forum so members get an idea what kind of person you are. Also a lot of hunters start by scouting in the off season and are more willing to put in the work involved in the whole process

Personally I have mentored a number of people over the years but only those who put in the effort to come out and learn start to finish. This includes coming out to find their own personal hunting pockets before the season instead of just coming out and being put on a deer or a pocket found for them.

(Before I get the PM asking for this season this means starting early spring not early fall)

This post is not a shot at anyone posting here but instead the complete opposition. I am only giving honest advice that will help in your search. The main thing take time to interact on the forum and ask ? about the style of hunting you want to learn about. Showing drive and willingness to learn will get you a long way. Plus people get to see some of your personality too

I agree 100 %

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2022, 07:51 AM

delete

Last edited by -JR-; 09-21-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM

Just throwing this out there .
I have a moose cow tag for 352.
Looking for a partner with a moose bull tag for 352 .
Old 09-25-2022, 10:55 AM

Hello, new in southern Ab. Im in Coaldale and looking for a hunting partner for white tail/ coyote. 31yo, clean no drug or alcohol. Got a 4x4 truck with topper and my hunting gear.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:51 PM

Default License vs Tags vs Draws

If you have a license for deer but no "tags," does that mean you must get "tags" from an appropriate retailer? Do you have to tell F&W what WMU you want the tags for? Can you switch WMU's mid-season?

Are "tags" for each individual WMU rationed, or are they freely given out. For example, I know you need to draw for a moose in WMU XXX, but if you are just participating in a general season hunt for a white tail, will they stop giving out tags if there are too many?

Another questions about bag limits, not saying I'm going to go out and hunt everything I can that's not what I'm after, but where can I find them for all big game? Deer, black bear, mulies, cougar, wolves and such? I found small bird limits but having difficulty with the big game.

Can you just straight up go for a head shot on big game?

How long does it take to get a "draw?" For example, a moose draw? What is the process for a special license or draw and how often can you expect to get one for the first time?

Personally, I'm more interested in the scouting aspect of hunting. These are just a few questions I've been wondering about lately.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanDoggo View Post
If you have a license for deer but no "tags," does that mean you must get "tags" from an appropriate retailer? Do you have to tell F&W what WMU you want the tags for? Can you switch WMU's mid-season?

Are "tags" for each individual WMU rationed, or are they freely given out. For example, I know you need to draw for a moose in WMU XXX, but if you are just participating in a general season hunt for a white tail, will they stop giving out tags if there are too many?

Another questions about bag limits, not saying I'm going to go out and hunt everything I can that's not what I'm after, but where can I find them for all big game? Deer, black bear, mulies, cougar, wolves and such? I found small bird limits but having difficulty with the big game.

Can you just straight up go for a head shot on big game?

How long does it take to get a "draw?" For example, a moose draw? What is the process for a special license or draw and how often can you expect to get one for the first time?

Personally, I'm more interested in the scouting aspect of hunting. These are just a few questions I've been wondering about lately.
Have you completed the hunters education courses?if not this is your starting point and will answer a lot of questions

The hunting regulations will answer most of your questions this is a good starting point

Draw times vary depending on WMU and species/sex you apply for

Complete the first two things I just mentioned and if you need clarification start a thread regarding your questions
Old 09-27-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Have you completed the hunters education courses?if not this is your starting point and will answer a lot of questions

The hunting regulations will answer most of your questions this is a good starting point

Draw times vary depending on WMU and species/sex you apply for

Complete the first two things I just mentioned and if you need clarification start a thread regarding your questions

I'll keep exploring the forum and government website thank you
Old 09-27-2022, 02:58 PM

Rookie bow hunter, after many near misses on the highway with my boat "scouting", picked up a used bow setup, general muley tag, hoping to harvest in the prairie zones. About myself, young man based out of Calgary, willing to drive/split costs, debone animals in the field. Also interested in meeting up for target practice.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Delete Please .
Old 10-04-2022, 12:06 PM

Hey all, I'm located in Edmonton and a new hunter and looking for a mentor or someone to tag along with for archery and rifle. I'm wondering if there is someone willing to share some of their knowledge on scouting, setting up, and what to look for. I’ve got all the licenses and tags etc, know the regs, and have been out east of Edmonton scouting on some public land and ACA sites. Have set up some cameras on some spots I thought looked good but haven’t had much of anything on them yet. Have all the gear, fit and can walk/hike out to pretty much anywhere. Willing to share harvest, help pack out, cover some costs etc. If anyone is willing to let me tag along scouting or on a hunt I’d appreciate it! Also looking for someone to go upland bird hunting with my bow too!
Old 10-06-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Still looking as old partner can not get time off of work .
Old 10-06-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If you have a deer or elk tag that will work also.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:20 AM

Default Calgary Area

Hi,

I'm looking to get into upland game birds, pheasant, rabbit, ducks or geese.

Safety conscious, decent shot but need a partner to get out there and somebody I can learn from in the field.

40 year old male with licences and gear.
Professional fisher, so if you are willing to have me tag along for a day trip or an outing and share the catch that will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and your consideration.

Regards,

JP
Old 10-12-2022, 11:57 PM

Default Calgary hunting partner

Hello all! I am new to Calgary and new to hunting. I have gone on a few hunting trips around the city, and would love to find some partners who are either just starting too, or wouldn't mind going with a newbie

I am 28 y/o male, bow hunter (reasonable shot), waiting for my PAL. Would describe myself as very safety conscious, always respect all fellow hunters and properties. New to the sport, but really eager to learn more. Currently spending hours every day on Youtube and this forum to drink the knowledge firehose.

Looking forward to going on some hunting trips around Calgary with fellow hunters!
Old 10-13-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
If you have a deer or elk tag that will work also.
delete as not looking any more
Old 10-16-2022, 04:35 PM

Hey all, I'm a 27 y/o male looking for people to hunt with around Edmonton. I'm new to the province as I moved in July for work here. I have hunted grouse and turkey in the past two years. I would really enjoy finding a mentor for all sorts of big game and birds! Thanks!
Old 10-17-2022, 09:23 AM

Looking for someone to hunt with for the next two weeks I'll be at my cabin must have a quad non-smoker give me a call 780-777-5581 wmu5 something lots of elk around

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2022, 08:12 AM

Also should have some kind of communication device I Hunter app is almost a must to send locations as most of the area has no phone service
Old 10-19-2022, 06:48 AM

Still looking for someone for next week the animals are going to start moving been a hot fall next week's going to be beautiful hunting weather give me a call thanks Randy
Old 10-21-2022, 01:38 PM

Last chance I'll be up for another 8 days read the post ,you must have a quad , Thanks.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:52 AM

Default Looking for Partner(s) for Moose, Elk, Antelope 2023

I generally hunt alone, and therefore, generally just deer.
I'm 55 yo, have rifle hunted for 40 years, archery for 11. Haven't learned to call much. I'm fit, a good cook, love hunting and just being out there. Rain, snow or shine. Don't care so much if I pull the trigger myself, but value a full freezer.
I have built up significant draw priorities for Archery Antelope, Trophy Antelope, Antlered Moose, Antlerless Elk, Antlered Mulie.
I would be interested in joining, or putting together, a small group of serious, ethical hunters to go after a few of the bigger species together, and make some new friends. Would love to hear from some similar folks or groups prior to the spring draws, to maybe make some plans.
Be safe out there, and good hunting!

P.S. I realize antelope aren't large. I'm looking for a mentor for hunting them.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:42 AM

Default I'm looking to mentor or find a hunting buddy that wants to get out

I'm looking for someone who has free time this hunting season and wants to get out and fill some tags. I own a section of land in wmu 502 but have no hunting partner this year. There is Deer,Moose,Bear,wolf's and coyotes along with all the small game. Im 36 super chill and just enjoying hunting & the outdoors...
send me a message and let's see if we can fill some tags 🦌
Old 11-11-2022, 07:38 PM

Default Looking for partner(s) to hunt Bighorn Sheep fall 2023

Hi looking to meet a potential hunting partner or partners to go after my first ram. I live in the Calgary area, 46 years old in good shape. Went once 2 years ago with no success & a partner whose physical abilities were a limiting factor. A mentor would be ideal but I'm also motivated to go with another less experienced but committed hunter(s). I don't smoke or drink & prefer like minded to hunt with. I would like to do preseason scouting trips/training to give my physical best towards a 7-10day trip for the fall of 2023. If this interests you or if you know of someone it may, let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2022, 02:22 PM

Default Coyote hunting , Edmonton

I am a new to hunting sport living in Edmonton but willing to drive and would like a mentor/hunting buddy for Rifle hunting Coyotes in crown or private land
please PM me if interested