Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2023, 09:34 PM

Default Fly fishing leader for walleye <20 inch

I’ve just been tying on a small store bought 5 inch wire leader with a swivel on one end and a clip on the other.

I was thinking of using wirebite or similar and then I thought why not just use a sort piece of 15 lb braid with a small snap swivel for easy hook changes.

This would be for smaller walleye but also hammer handle pike.

Thoughts anyone?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-15-2023, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I’ve just been tying on a small store bought 5 inch wire leader with a swivel on one end and a clip on the other.

I was thinking of using wirebite or similar and then I thought why not just use a sort piece of 15 lb braid with a small snap swivel for easy hook changes.

Thoughts anyone?
For walleye, I just use 8 # flourocarbon or similar, works great .
I've landed 30" walleye with it.
If you car catching pike, 10# Mason will work as well.
I used a pike leader at one time, but found I didn't really need it.
For the bigger pike I use a heavier Mason Mono leader , but for average sized Jacks ,10# is fine I have found.

Cat
Old 03-15-2023, 10:27 PM

x2 to all the above...i have caught a ton of pike up to 15lbs on 10#plus tippet
Old 03-31-2023, 08:12 AM

I never use any wire leader for walleye. I don't know if it's my luck, but they never seem to bite through the mono.

If I fly fish for pikes, I just buy those cheap 6" metal leaders that people generally get for spin fishing. Truth be told, after a few pikes the wire leader is pretty rounded but still works fine enough for me.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:28 AM

As others have said 8# Flouro leader is fine for jigging, slip bobber etc. I use a little heavier for bouncing with a spinner rig. Also landed larger Wally and Pike with same terminal tackle, just have to change after a vigorous pike or Wally.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
Depends on the size of your fly. I would use straight floro, about 4ft, the heavier the fly the heavier the line. Trout size wooly buggers won't require much more than 6# to turn the fly over, large flies might require up to 20# line to turn the fly over. Casting heavy flies with a light leader is a good way to end up with a fly embedded in your nogin.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-01-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixe1334 View Post
I never use any wire leader for walleye. I don't know if it's my luck, but they never seem to bite through the mono.

If I fly fish for pikes, I just buy those cheap 6" metal leaders that people generally get for spin fishing. Truth be told, after a few pikes the wire leader is pretty rounded but still works fine enough for me.
Walleye have a peg like tooth so they don't break leaders nearly as often as the daw tooth type like pike do
Cat
Old 04-01-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Casting heavy flies with a light leader is a good way to end up with a fly embedded in your nogin.
Glasses and hats mandatory for the " chuck'n'duck" crew, for sure!
Cat
Old 04-15-2023, 11:19 AM

Im a hillbilly fly chucker. when I fish for walleye with the chance of a pike as well I just use a 9 or 10 foot length of 20 pound fluorocarbon. cut off and retie new flies as needed. works for me

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-27-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
I predominantly fly fish for walleye, I make my own leaders, I tried pretty much everything from heavy fluoro to titanium, the braided stainless, I find kinks, though the rio stuff is pretty aside from the kinking, the heavy fluoro 25lbs, is like Russian roulette, and usually it’s some dink hammer handle that bites me off, usually always a good fly I’ve tied, so rarely do I use fluoro, the titanium knot to kinky I find to be the best, rarely kinks, somehow it’s somewhat elastic , but is hard to tie knots with, opposed to how supple the fluoro and braided wire are to tie, I use
Mustard rolling diamond eye swivels on either end size 14, one end with the j snap, I think that titanium stuff goes down to 10 or 12 lbs, that stuff is fire, very thin.