Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2023, 12:34 PM

Default Prairie, Tay and Clearwater Report

Don’t see reports as often as I think we should, so I’ll lead by example!

Enjoyed the heat and decorated some trees with flies yesterday.

We started at the Tay. That’s where I lost most of my flies. Not easy casting when I don’t have waders but it’s nice scenery.

No strikes but found what I believe was a cougar track? It was about 4” wide.

Next we headed to the Clearwater at the Ricinus Store. Had a few strikes under the bridge, but fish were probably around the 6” mark. Fish were chasing my Olive Wooly Bugger. Thanks to advice on the forum Ive learned to flip rocks and that’s what turned me onto the green. Not sure what kind of bug it was, still an etymology amateur.

Decided to hit Prairie Creek on our way home. Managed a nice little brown.

Every time I hit the river I learn a little bit more. Yesterday was me experimenting with sub-surface flies. I couldn’t tell you want I was using (someone will be able to) but I tried using a foam fly around 24” up to act as an indicator. I’ve played around with the thingamabob indicators but don’t like what it does to my cast so I find I’ve got better rhythm with the foam fly.
Todays other takeaway was learning to get better at mending line in flowing water. It’s a work in progress not getting my fly to jerk when I mend.

Looking forward to getting out again, but that likely won’t be until runoff is over, unfortunately. Visibility and water levels on all water was good, not crystal clear but good given the heat we’ve had regarding runoff.

If anyone wants to get together and wet a line from the Edmonton area, I’m always eager to learn from someone experienced!

Tight lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2023, 12:52 PM

Upon review I believe it was a stonefly nymph under the rocks on the Clearwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk