Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 06:34 AM

Default Bird Dog Training

Hello All,

Old amazing family dog passed away a month or so ago. So I accidentally in a weak moment acquired a new pup. She comes from fantastic bird dog parents. Shes 75% GSP and 25% chocolate lab. A pointador. I got her at 12 weeks (2 days ago) with some training on a goose wing, very well handled, but no leash or commands. Read the first chapter of Tom Dokkens Retriever Training and started working on that. Anyways she is incredible. 3 basic commands took only a few tries each. Lots of potential here. The plan is to train her this summer for waterfowl and upland. Mostly upland. Then this winter we will work on shed hunting.

Question is - Is there a decent retriever instructor that could help coach her (coach me)? Preferably with an hour or so of Camrose.

Or even someone with a finished dog that would like to help out this summer? I pay handsomely in pizza and lucky lager. Ha!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2023, 09:07 PM

Not taking anymore dogs but i do one on one training. It’s more training the trainer. Training the dog is the easiest part lol. She’s too young to formalize training.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:35 AM

Pixel - You’re absolutely correct. Training the trainer is preferred. and my preference. Would love a PM if that’s okay.

We are doing really well at the basics. Not perfect. Steps have gone up an average of 6,000 per week. Lucky enough to have her with me all day everyday. Day 4 and she’s acting like my left leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2023, 10:48 PM

I’d be interested in getting some training as well with my guy who’s 15 weeks
Old 06-01-2023, 01:05 PM

Default Dog Trainer in Central AB

Steve Lemon just outside of Delburne would be an option. I'm currently working with Steve to help me with my Brittany. He is mainly a works with retrievers but work with pointing dogs as well. He basically trains you to train your dog. One of the best if you need someone to do force fetch with your bird dog
Old 06-06-2023, 07:52 AM

Does anyone close to Edmonton have pigeons for sale ? Any farmer need pigeons trapped?
Old 06-06-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth66 View Post
Steve Lemon just outside of Delburne would be an option. I'm currently working with Steve to help me with my Brittany. He is mainly a works with retrievers but work with pointing dogs as well. He basically trains you to train your dog. One of the best if you need someone to do force fetch with your bird dog
I was having an issue with forced fetch and one session with Steve got me back on track.