Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2021, 12:52 PM

Default Lightweight Tipi Tent

Does anyone have any input or experience with the Luxe or LiteOutdoors tipi tents? As far as quality of material and build quality. Leaning towards LiteOutdoors for the very reason he is located in Alberta and would rather support someone local. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2021, 02:20 PM

You may have already looked into this company but "seekoutside" makes lightweight backcountry tipis as well. I have one and it works great; also has stove options for colder weather hunts while still keeping it light weight.

Should find some info using the search function to for all these brands.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:02 PM

Which model do you have?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:24 PM

I have the lite outdoors 4 person model, what I like about it is the snow flaps on it if your in the wind this is the best tent I have, along with ti goat 7.5 I also have the cattle mountain tipi from , aliexpress.com its just like the tigoat model, but cheaper.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_White View Post
Which model do you have?

I have the cimmaron. Comfy for two people, gear and stove. 3/4 ppl no stove. Has held up well on a handful of sheep hunts with some nasty weather days.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:47 PM

I’ve got the Lite outdoors plateau and it’s an excellent shelter. Tons of room for two guys plus gear with the stove. Well made and like Nimrod said the snow flaps are awesome when the wind picks up.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:19 AM

I have also been looking at the tipi tent and hot tent set up. Looked at seek and love the look of them. But also wouldn’t mine supporting liteoutdoors because it’s an Alberta based company, as long as it is comparable to the seek outside quality. Would the liteoutdoors have enough room for a guy on a cot with 2 dogs in there? Was hoping to be able to fit a cot in for when I’m truck camping but also be able to pack in when desired. Is there anyone around the Calgary/airdrie area with a set up I could come check out. I could supply beer for your time.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:33 PM

I just purchased the isola and stove from lite outdoors. It hasn't shipped yet, but when it arrives I can take some close up photos and give some impressions. I'm just north of Edmonton.

Before purchasing I marked out the floor dimensions of both the plateau and isola with masking tape. Then used a 2x4 as a pole and laid a tarp over. I'm mostly a late season solo hunter that's why I'm giving the isola a try.

I emailed lite outdoors with some questions and they were very prompt and even responded on the weekend. They also informed me that they have a lighter and stronger model in both tents which I purchased. So far they've been great to deal with and there local.

This will be my first hot tent combo. I've used a bivy/tarp, snugpak ionosphere and the black diamond Eldorado in the past. Switching it up depending on the hunt. I looked at Seek and Luxe and figured if LO makes a great stove, might as well give them a shot.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2021, 05:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Will post which tent I decide to go with.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:49 PM

If anyone has any questions about LiteOutdoors products send me a message. I'd be happy to help answer any questions.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2022, 11:57 AM

Anyone try the lightweight version of the liteoutdoors plateau 5? Hold up as well as the standard version?
Old 12-31-2022, 12:40 PM

A bell tent made of the same material as the teepee tents would be the bomb.
More useable floor space etc. I’ve looked quite a bit for that kind of tent but haven’t found one. There’s all kinds of bell tents available in canvas, why not synthetics?
Old 01-01-2023, 07:38 AM

The Lite Outdoors setup comes in a bit cheaper than the Seek Outside models too.
Would really like to get into a Isola with a stove for the 23 season myself.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70GOV View Post
The Lite Outdoors setup comes in a bit cheaper than the Seek Outside models too.
Would really like to get into a Isola with a stove for the 23 season myself.
Quite a bit cheaper for sure, especially with our exchange rate. Always prefer shopping local when I have the option as well
Old 01-01-2023, 11:59 AM

Default Lightweight Tipi Tent

I have the lightweight Plateau 5, the tent is wicked and holds up well in the snow and wind. Use the liner or you get condensation (and will in any single wall shelter)

I only have about 25 days in it but no complaints so far.

I have not heard anything good about Luxe … Seek has a good reputation.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post
I have the lightweight Plateau 5, the tent is wicked and holds up well in the snow and wind. Use the liner or you get condensation (and will in any single wall shelter)

I only have about 25 days in it but no complaints so far.

I have not heard anything good about Luxe … Seek has a good reputation.
Thanks for the info on that. Think I will go that route then
Old 01-01-2023, 03:23 PM

here are my tents, the white ones are the cattle model off ali express , green is the lite outdoors 4 man, and the brown one is a luxe 4 man, all have stove holes, i also have 4 titanium wood stoves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3730.jpg (51.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 01-01-2023, 04:20 PM

Argali recently put out a really nice tipi also just another option. I have a seek cimmaron and I love it.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:35 PM

+2 on the Cimarron. We used it this year on a mule deer backpacking hunt. It is a pretty slick tent and was very easy to set up. I have not tried any other Tipi tents so my experience and opinion is limited to the SeekOutside.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:17 PM

I have the Seek Redcliff with their XL Ti Stove.

Could fit 3 with cots and stove, but it would be tight. Best for 2 with cots, stove and a table.

I have the nest as well for early season. Not a fan of the bugs crawling over my face while sleeping on the floor.

If no cots you could probably do 4 plus stove comfortably enough.

No complaints, very happy with the product. I got mine with secondary mesh doors, would not recommend as I never use them and it's unnecessary extra weight.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:31 PM

Just curious, and no intention to derail, but why a tipi rather than a regular lightweight tent like a BigAgnes.? Reason I ask is that I need to update this season.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:49 PM

I would say a benefit of a tipi or pyramid over a typical tent is the lack of tent poles as they can pitched with 2 trekking poles or a tree branch if necessary. So benefit is weight saving and simplicity. Sucks to lose a shock cord or break a pole on a long mountain trip with a typical tent.

Also, most typical bathtub style tents don’t have a stove jack and the floor prevents the safe use of a stove.

That all said, I prefer a typical bathtub type tent for summer fishing/hiking.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:41 PM

Thank you for that explanation - it was very helpful.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:04 AM

Default tent

to add something here. I have both types of tent and the site selection is different For the tipi I need to stay down in the trees. It doesn't take high winds or big snow loads. The bathtub tent is the all terrain go anywhere tent.
It is great to have a stove on those late season hunts!!
Old 01-03-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Just curious, and no intention to derail, but why a tipi rather than a regular lightweight tent like a BigAgnes.? Reason I ask is that I need to update this season.
For me it is lighter weight for more space. Can even stand up in a tipi tent. Add to that the ability to add a wood stove for later season hunts
Old 01-03-2023, 01:23 PM

Yeah, depending on how you spend your time outdoors it's tough to have a single tent do everything well.

For camping with the family or taking ATV/boat, I like my Jumping Jack Tent Trailer.

For solo or duo fly fishing around the FTR I like having my wedge roof top tent to camp anywhere sans much setup. Same for early season upland bird.

For full day hikes into the backcountry in the buggy summer I use my MSR Hubba or my OR Bivvy Sack + tarp. Been eyeing the Z Pack Duplex for it's weight, but haven't justified it yet.

For cold hunts or winter stuff, I use my Seek Redcliff with stove for base camp. OR Bivvy for spike camp.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the additional info- guess I will have to buy both.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:09 AM

Did anyone make a dynema trepe and would be able to share their final cost and plans?
Old 01-16-2023, 05:30 PM

I just put together this mountainsmith lt with a lite outdoors stovejack and 12” stove. Whole setup weighs less than 5lbs and is going to make mountain backpack hunts a little more cozy. I have a Kifaru 8 man with stove for base camp or group hunting but at 12lbs with stove it’s to much for one person to pack.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2023, 09:39 AM

I can't comment on the Lite Outdoors or Luxe, but I wanted to say I found the Firehiking 1-2 person tent on Amazon which seems to get rave reviews. I will let you know if it's actually any good once it arrives.

I'm not sure if I will like hot tenting so I did not want to invest a lot of money into it. I got the Danchel T6 Titanium Stove to go with the tent and the whole order shipped was less than $600 CAD. Once I know I like it I'll look at upgrading gear and getting something a bit nicer.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08VDNSWZC/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08YY8ST3M?...c_p_m_5_i&th=1
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill