Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2023, 08:17 PM

Default Getting starting with hunting

I’m new to hunting and would like to try shooting gophers or coyotes. Any suggestions how to get started? I live in Calgary and have been shooting at ranges for a few years now so not new to guns. I also have my WIN card.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:04 PM

Get a county map. Drive around until you find gophers. Get permission from the land owner and then have fun.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:18 PM

What part of the city & what do you have for a gun? I might be able to help find some grass rats.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-04-2023, 10:26 PM

Depends on what you are planning to eventually hunt and how you want to hunt it. If it is big game and bush (read as crown land), I’d start with hiking bush looking for grouse, while learning the bush, the sign, the trails, etc. Basically, learning everything you can about the game you are going to hunt in the environment you are going to hunt it.

Shooting gophers and coyotes is a good shooting practise (of course, to consistently shoot coyotes takes a lot of practise and skill), but it doesn't get you any closer to hunting big game, imo, if that is what you are after.

Edit: maybe, if the plan is to hunt farm land, it does get you closer to hunting big game, at least in terms getting to know people, permission, etc?
Old 04-07-2023, 05:37 PM

I recently started shooting gophers, so far my count is two, one on each trip… I’m happy with it given I’m a beginner If you want to tag team let’s go together! I’m not pro but I can show you what I learned so far.