Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-10-2023, 10:04 AM

Default Stone glacier packs

My mystery ranch Marshall is getting long in the tooth it’s time to sell it off and try something a bit lighter. I’m looking at the sg terminus 7000 and the sky guide 7900 I do a lot of big expedition style 11 day back country hunts and was thinking someone that has one might want to share what model is better and why from experience.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:18 PM

I got the sky 5900 on the xcurve. Few differences between the two. As I’m sure you know.

They are great bags. It is incredible how small they get. Lots of adjustments for fitting. I do find that the waste belt isn’t quite as comfy as the MR. But over all I still like the SG better.

The Terminus remind me a lot of the Seek Outside Unaweep I used to run. I really like that bag. But once switching to the sky horse shoe zipper I don’t think I would go back to a single side zip. I love being able to lay the bag down and open that baby up for a full view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2023, 01:12 PM

You can swap out bags with the Sky Guide if you decide to run a smaller bag one day. The Terminus is permantly attached to the frame. I bought the Sky Guide in the 5900 X-curve and love it.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:04 PM

I have the 6900 just because I liked the side pockets better for my style.

The nice thing as mentioned is they all do a bivy mode and pack way way down to become a day hunting bag. I toss the lid inside mine and can go froma 3200 day bag right back to the 6900 plus load shelf.

I believe jimbows now has stone glacier. At least they were saying they were becoming a dealer a little while ago. Go check out the bags.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:09 PM

Jim bows didn’t have a terminus in stock but precision optics in quesnel does. Some good points brought up so far.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:53 PM

I have the 5900 and Solo. They are exceptional packs that are comfortable and very versatile. I replaced Mystery Ranch packs with mine and couldn’t be happier. The MR packs were great, but I prefer the SG product. They carry weight better become very compact and have a better meat packing system.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:08 PM

I have the sky guide 7900, use it for the same purpose 2 week long sheep hunts. Along with shorter backcountry hunts. I really prefer the load shelf design for packing meat. Plus I can put a smaller bag on the frame for day hunts. While the terminus is kinda a one trick pony, albeit very light.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:52 PM

I have the Sky5900 and guide7900 love both, upgraded to the 7900 for longer hunts and more room in the pack.
Love the accessory pockets and camp pockets that you can add, load shelf is top end IMO. My dad bought a Kuiu pack and has issues with how many pockets it has. I enjoy the SG pack because it is pretty user friendly very adjustable, great durability.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:33 PM

I have a Solo and a Terminus and have used a 6900. The Terminus 7k is my go-to for long sheep hunts where savings ounces is important to me. There is also a larger Terminus pack that could be an option. I think it ultimately comes down to whether you like to pack meat in the pack or on the shelf.

I do think the Terminus 7k is about the perfect sheep pack for me outside of long late season hunting trips.

I also like having a pack that I can toss quarters on easily for moose and elk hunting. So I keep an external frame pack around as well such as the SG Xcurve, or the Exo K4 which I’ll be trying this year.