Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 08:05 AM

Default Reloading 26 Nosler

Hi folks,

Does anyone have a reliable starting point for loading 26 Nosler with 127 Barnes LRX and IMR7828ssc?

From searching online I have found 59.0gr (Min) posted on another forum. Nothing posted in any of the manuals I own. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and of course feel free to share your personal loads here too. that would also be great.

I see lots of info for using H1000 or Retumbo, but having 8lbs of 7828ssc makes this a lot easier to get started.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2023, 10:06 AM

Found this on precision hand loader forum:

Albeit not from berger the Barnes 127 LRX is a very good shooter from mine with US869, here is the data they provided me regarding the .26 and 127 LRX- and they were right about Nosler's book being way hot on charges. US869 and Retumbo have both performed well for me on everything I've loaded thus far, with the velocity nod going to US869. I would really like to get my hands on some Vihtavouri to try as well.

We are working on shooting the 26 Nosler data and publishing it on our website. In the meantime I personally recommend- For the 26 Nosler and a 127 gr LRX-

Retumbo Start @ 65.0 grs and you can work up in half grain increments until you see signs of pressure such as a sticky (hard) bolt lift, ejector mark on head stamp or flattened/leaky primers.

H1000 Start @ 62.0 grs and then the same procedure.

US 869 Start @ 81.0 grs and then the same procedure.

IMR 7828 Start @ 59.0 grs and then the same procedure.

IMR 7977 Start @ 65.0 grs and then the same procedure.

You can use “other” (lead core or monolithic) bullet load data when loading a Barnes Bullet of equal (or close to) weight. Just be sure to start at the minimum starting load and work up from there in half grain increments watching for signs of pressure such as, a sticky (hard) bolt lift when ejecting the fired case, ejector mark on the case head stamp or flattened/leaky primers. Once you notice any of the pressure signs then you will want to lower the charge about half a grain or so to where no pressure signs are present, and that would technically be “YOUR” rifle's max load. The load data published by all of the companies is just a reference point/guideline to safely start out at the minimum charges.

Good luck
Bruce