Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 03:59 PM

Default What do you do with a rifle you just can’t get to group?

So I have an old Alpine rifle in 7mm Rem mag. I had Dean2 borescope it and it looked good but had some copper fouling that I hadn’t fully cleaned. We also found pressure points on the stock. I relieved the barrel channel in the stock and bedded it into the stock. I replaced the scope and all rings are tight and mounted properly. The barrel was cleaned thoroughly.

I cannot get this rifle to group better than 3-4” groups. I have even had groups shooting wild flyers into 16” groups. Multiple flyers not one. Shooting from a leadsled. Not tied into it, just resting on it.

I am using 162 grain projectiles. I even did a load with 140 grain bullets seeing if possibly the 162 grain bullets weren’t stabilizing. The 140 grain bullets didn’t group any better. I am also using reloader 22.

I load in full grains and try to find a grain that groups tighter. Then I try half grains and chase from there trying to find a good load. Its how I have built loads for my other rifles.

What have you guys done with stubborn rifles in the past?
What am I doing wrong?
What should I try?
Old 06-03-2023, 04:09 PM

If you have done the bedding , checked screws ,tried a different scope , glass bedded tried a few different loads , save yourself frustration and money and get a different rifle . Some guns will just not shoot !!!!
Old 06-03-2023, 04:22 PM

If it were mine I would try many different powders, bullets, seating depths, primers until I found something it liked. One powder and two bullets isn’t enough.

I had a .308 once that I tried 8-10 powders and 10+ different bullets before I found one load it would shoot.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:29 PM

^ Amen.

I bought some 165gr .308cal Nosler Ballistics Tips for my .30-06, cuz supposedly they are great. But I couldn't get those to shoot, using multiple powders.

Finally went back to 165gr plain-Jane Hornady BTSPs and immediately had excellent accuracy again... (those Hornadys always seem to shoot well).
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 06-03-2023, 05:15 PM

My 7 rem would tumble 150gr at 100meters, 165gr would shoot good to about 150 meters but would start to tumble past that.
I had good accuracy with 175 and 185grs out of mine.
It took some.time and frustration. But it loved the heavier gr bullets.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:29 PM

My go to on fussy rifles is to try Barnes TSX or TTSX. Start with the flat base and if they work ok then try boat tail. If you've taken care of loose mounts, solid dry bedding, action screw torque, barrel float, barrel crown and any other of the usual suspects then it's worth the cost to try some 150's. If they won't group acceptably the rifle needs to find another home.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:42 PM

Sell it!
Old 06-03-2023, 05:49 PM

I had a nice rifle that I just couldn’t get to shoot . Tried 3 or4 different bedding methods, spent hundreds of $ on different powders and bullets , different scopes . I would have been money ahead to get rid of it early which I eventually did
Old 06-03-2023, 05:59 PM

If things are going like that I check the headspace and cases, and after ruling out all posibilities , being a Mauser action, I would send it to a trustrd gunsmith to rebarrel- in this case it would be fps plus!
Cat
Old 06-03-2023, 06:04 PM

^ He is suggesting to get rid of it though
Old 06-03-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ He is suggesting to get rid of it though
If the rifle has a good stock and the '98 action is solid, rebarreling is an option.
Selling It to someone would not sit well with me unless i gave full disclosure on how bad it shot.
Cat
Old 06-03-2023, 06:26 PM

^ For sure, selling without the full disclosure is no bueno.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:00 PM

Default My worst experience with a dud.

Bought a second hand .308 win rifle once and it grouped 3”. Bedded the action, then it grouped 12”, almost wrapped it around a fence post right there at the range. Tried powders, bullets, loads, I was convinced it was junk.
Then…….
I found the rear scope mount was wrong. It lived it’s life that way before I bought it. I know this because of the witness marks it left on the action.
I bought the CORRECT scope mounts and now it groups sub moa all day long with a simple Speer 165 grain bullet and BLC2.
Moral of the story, don’t give up, but don’t go dumping a bunch of cash in it unless it’s sentimental.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:03 PM

junk the lead sled for starters. proper rear bag and front rest.
try a reduced load using h4895, and 140's. see if shooting something that doesn't kick the $%&%$ out of you all of a sudden gets you some groups...........

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:19 PM

I had a sako 7mm that would not group tried everything so i gave it to my nephew.
Now my weatherby 300 tak driver from sand bags free hand and even from my lead sled
Old 06-03-2023, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
try a reduced load using h4895, and 140's. see if shooting something that doesn't kick the $%&%$ out of you all of a sudden gets you some groups...........
yup
Old 06-03-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Selling It to someone would not sit well with me unless i gave full disclosure on how bad it shot.
Cat
That's what I kept thinking with every comment I read saying 'sell it".

No way would I sell without explaining why. And then you probably can't sell it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-03-2023, 09:01 PM

If it shoots that bad I would suspect you are getting impingement at the neck bullet junction. Either cases to long or the case is contacting a carbon ring and the neck is being squeezed to various inconsistent degrees. Just a guess.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2023, 09:20 PM

I’d swap scopes and then give it another go.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I’d swap scopes and then give it another go.
Yup, first thing I usually do is check the bases and swap the scope out for the scooe I use testing .
When a rifle won't shoot various bullets and powder charges, it is normally sonething mechanical that is the problem.
Cat
Old 06-03-2023, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
I group fine with my other lighter 7mm RM, and my .338 win mag using 225 grain bullets. After that, a 7mm mag with 140 grain bullets is like a kitten.

Any reason why I should junk the lead sled if I use it only as a rest?

Last edited by HyperMOA; 06-03-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
Bought a second hand .308 win rifle once and it grouped 3”. Bedded the action, then it grouped 12”, almost wrapped it around a fence post right there at the range. Tried powders, bullets, loads, I was convinced it was junk.
Then…….
I found the rear scope mount was wrong. It lived it’s life that way before I bought it. I know this because of the witness marks it left on the action.
I bought the CORRECT scope mounts and now it groups sub moa all day long with a simple Speer 165 grain bullet and BLC2.
Moral of the story, don’t give up, but don’t go dumping a bunch of cash in it unless it’s sentimental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup, first thing I usually do is check the bases and swap the scope out for the scooe I use testing .
When a rifle won't shoot various bullets and powder charges, it is normally sonething mechanical that is the problem.
Cat
It is a third scope on this rifle. I don’t think i have checked the bases other than to ensure they are torqued. The cost of some modern rings and bases may be worth it.

Won’t sell it. It was a rifle given to me by a buddies dad after a house fire. It isn’t sentimental, but it is. The amount of work I’ve put into it now, I just want it to shoot.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If it were mine I would try many different powders, bullets, seating depths, primers until I found something it liked. One powder and two bullets isn’t enough.

I had a .308 once that I tried 8-10 powders and 10+ different bullets before I found one load it would shoot.
You can’t find 10+ powders and bullets let alone the primers to do that these days. 😀
Old 06-03-2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If it shoots that bad I would suspect you are getting impingement at the neck bullet junction. Either cases to long or the case is contacting a carbon ring and the neck is being squeezed to various inconsistent degrees. Just a guess.
Can you tell me more? Say that again like you are explaining it to somebody who knows nothing; because you are. How would I check for this? Cases get trimmed each load. (If required)
Old 06-04-2023, 04:20 AM

Have you tried any factory ammo in it?
Old 06-04-2023, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You can’t find 10+ powders and bullets let alone the primers to do that these days. 😀
Maybe you can’t. Some of us are stocked up. Trust me, this isn’t the first and won’t be the last shortage.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me more? Say that again like you are explaining it to somebody who knows nothing; because you are. How would I check for this? Cases get trimmed each load. (If required)
This thread will give you more information than I type out lol.

I had a Savage go south once, I had about 600 rounds on it and out of the blue it started spitting shots all over the place. I had never heard of a carbon ring, but as it turns out it was my problem.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...is-it.3912845/

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
It is a third scope on this rifle. I don’t think i have checked the bases other than to ensure they are torqued. The cost of some modern rings and bases may be worth it.

Won’t sell it. It was a rifle given to me by a buddies dad after a house fire. It isn’t sentimental, but it is. The amount of work I’ve put into it now, I just want it to shoot.
I’d agree with that, this definitely has the look of something mechanical. I had a similar experience and the scope was sliding just a tiny bit in the rings. Not enough to look funny, but enough to move poi around. And do check headspace if you haven’t already.

After that…h1000 and ttsx or partitions.

After that I’d probably put it away for a year to avoid throwing it in the river.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:20 AM

After using actual copper solvents, to remove all copper fouling, and makinf sure there is no carbon buildup, I deal with bedding. Then I try multiple bullets, with multiple powders. If still getting nowhere, I change the scope. I use a proper rest and bags, on a solid bench for all shooting. My last resort, is to rebarrel, if the rest of the rifle is worth the cost to me.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:24 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This thread will give you more information than I type out lol.

I had a Savage go south once, I had about 600 rounds on it and out of the blue it started spitting shots all over the place. I had never heard of a carbon ring, but as it turns out it was my problem.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...is-it.3912845/
I have seen carbon rings do that, but the barrel was scoped and they would have seen if there was enough of a carbon build up to cause that
Cat