Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 04:58 PM

Default Score Shotgun Shells

Cabela’s is now selling Score shotgun shells. Has anybody used these Score for goose or duck hunting? Good or bad? Let’s hear your thoughts. Thx.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:53 PM

They are good to go. I use 'em for geese mainly and the odd opportunity shot on ducks.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:46 AM

Been using them for years! They are quality and made in Canada (Manitoba).
Old 06-04-2023, 07:51 AM

I have been using them for ducks and geese for a long time. No problems at all.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:35 AM

It’s excellent ammo and it’s one of the cheapest. To many guys get caught up on the gimmick ammo the long range snow goose or the black cloud stuff. Absolute waste of $ imo. It’s also important this buy ammo that’s the same speed.you get used to leading a bird with say 1550 and the man ya buy some faster ammo cause they say “!it’s faster so better at long range” crap an all of a sudden your missing everything. Shot shell ammo is crazy expensive nowadays so the cheapest stuff work just fine. Best stuff on the market for killing is bismuth hevi shot an a tungsten. If you can afford it great! Stuff kills very well. But crazy expensive.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:47 AM

It's reliable, so if it patterns well with your shotgun/choke, it will work just fine. I still use Kent Fasteel, because it patterns so well for me, but the only shotshells that I truly avoid, are the cheap Winchester loads, because the shot can be very irregular, and they seem to have more issues cycling than any other brand. When it comes down to it, the shooter is by far the largest factor, and loads and chokes have a much smaller effect on your success.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:21 AM

I’ve had great luck with Score waterfowl loads, and I feel good about buying a Canadian product.

All our shotguns cycle them fine.

Unlike the poster above, I like the Winchester loads. No issues with fte or ftf. I throw all my rounds in my blind bag and just ram em in as fast as I can. I shoot whatever is cheapest and cycles through my guns.

Only shell I haven’t had good luck with is Challenger.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:36 AM

A number of years ago I bought at cost all the stock from a store that was going out of ammunition, I ended up with close to 140 boxes of steel loads, 2 3/4" and 3" BB, #2, #3, #4 Winchester Super X, Winchester black cloud, Federal Speed Shok, Remington Hypersonic, Kent fast steel and score, to be very honest I don't see any noticeable difference between them.

When I do my job and get them on target birds fold, some of the nicest shooting loads have been the federal and Winchester 2 3/4" x 1 1/16 oz #2 steel @ 1550 FPS, IC choke over decoys @ 35 yards or so they just fold geese dead.

To answer your question the score ammo worked just fine in my SX4 as did all the rest.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:42 AM

I’ve found no matter the manufacturer, if you put some effort into actually patterning the given load and determining which choke works best with which shell, you can get good results no matter who makes the shell.

There’s no flys on the Score loadings……

There are no absolutes