Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Default Inexpensive inflatable?

I'm thinking about getting myself a cheap little inflatable. Budget is tight right now so budget can go up to $150ish but I'd prefer to keep it closer to $100.

Basically I'm curious what you guys think would be a reasonable size for one person to comfortably fish out of with a small amount of gear. At first I just wanted it to get out to a couple spots that I can't access otherwise, but I figure it'd be nice to have to go for a nice relaxing paddle out on a trout pond or something as well.

WSS's website shows that they have the Sevylor Fish Hunter 3 on for $119 but when I click on it, it gives me an error page, saying the stores no longer have the item in stock or some jazz like that.

Any input you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. Hoping to get something a little better than the $20 Wal-Mart special!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM

I have a fish hunter 3 and its awsome, alot of fun floating around and very easy to fish from it being an inflatable, but where a life jacket because you never know.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM

I have a sevylor fishhunter, not sure if its a 3 or not, but I think it was around $250 reg price, and I got it for around $150 or something like that... really not sure, been a couple years. But its been great. Fits easily in a trunk of a small car, with extra room. I've taken it to BC for fishing small trout ponds, rafting down the Bow river many times, to a few lakes. Can paddle it around small ponds or lakes (although it is a bit of work), but can take up to a 2.5hp motor also. Says it seats four, and something like 900lb capacity, but 2 is comfortable, 3 is crowded.

Anyways, all in all, its a great deal for $120 if they have it. It is very well made for the price. I've ran it over lots of rocks and sticks etc without worry on the Bow, and don't even worry about getting a hole like with the $20 Wally specials (which would be torn to shreds!!). 5 chambers, thick material, can take a motor, comes with rod holders. Pick one up!

Last edited by bloopbloob; 06-13-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 PM

I have a 4 person intex seahawk, that I got on kijiji for $80.00. The lady never even opened the box! It is great, you can even put a motor on it. I am in the process of putting in a hard floor instead of the inflatable floor. Kijiji is the way to go!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 AM

Can check Army & Navy, they keep Sevylors, seems to me they have some cheap float tubes too.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 AM

I have a 4 man coleman, which is good for 2 people. I made a floor out of plywood, well sanded, or you can glue the foam pipe insulation around the edges, and it makes a huge difference. take a 5 gallon pail on a rope, if the wind comes up it makes a good sea anchor, they drift like crazy with any sort of breeze. and carry a small bottle of vinyl repair for when you stick a hook in it like I did

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Kijiji is the way to go!
x2 , crazy deals on everything and anything!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM

i got a sea hawk II with a a trolling motor and battery doesnt even afteect goes pretty good was only 140ish great boat
Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coorslight View Post
i got a sea hawk II with a a trolling motor and battery doesnt even afteect goes pretty good was only 140ish great boat
been looking for this boat around Calgary! where did you pick up yours?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM

just remember to pick up your boaters license if you plan on using an electric so you dont mow down all those innocent jetskiers!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Slightly different tack... last week I saw a pretty inexpensive float tube at Costco, under $200.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
I have a 4 person intex seahawk, that I got on kijiji for $80.00. The lady never even opened the box! It is great, you can even put a motor on it. I am in the process of putting in a hard floor instead of the inflatable floor. Kijiji is the way to go!
I just picked up the same from Walmart for 120 bucks, came with oars and pump. I was thinking of putting in a hard floor bt have seen some comments about seams holding up to the pressure/ weight of the floor (not a rough wood or sanding issue). Would love to here your results, see some pictures when you are done. Haven't had mine in the water yet, just picked it up.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Cheap inflatable boats work... but they can be a PITA when you swing a fishhook the wrong way or drop your pliers.
Have you looked on kijiji for a cheap used canoe that you can throw an electric on? Or even a kayak?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The Sevylor Fish Hunter 3 deal fell through...the sale price was apparently for last year's model (which they're all out of) and the new one doesn't even come with oars.

I'm now looking at the 3 person Sevylor Colossus from CT. Looks to be roughly the same size, and I like the idea of the raised 'seat' in the middle. I'll also go check out the Wal and see what they've got.

FishingFrenzy - I know a canoe or kayak would be better, but for my current situation (Jeep with soft top) the inflatable is just a lot easier to deal with. Don't have to worry about putting it on the roof or getting a trailer for it or whatever. That being said, I do realize that I've gotta be careful with any cheap inflatable I get. It'd mainly be used on the trout ponds anyway so I shouldn't have too many big hooks swinging around, and with any luck all fish will be handled outside of the boat in a net...where it's best for the fish as well as myself!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
FishingFrenzy - I know a canoe or kayak would be better, but for my current situation (Jeep with soft top) the inflatable is just a lot easier to deal with. Don't have to worry about putting it on the roof or getting a trailer for it or whatever. That being said, I do realize that I've gotta be careful with any cheap inflatable I get. It'd mainly be used on the trout ponds anyway so I shouldn't have too many big hooks swinging around, and with any luck all fish will be handled outside of the boat in a net...where it's best for the fish as well as myself!
If you have a hitch receiver on the back, you may be able to get a 90 deg piece of metal to fit into it and go upwards ending in a T, to support the back of a canoe. Something similar could be done on the front to support the front half of the canoe.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Thanks for the input guys. The Sevylor Fish Hunter 3 deal fell through...the sale price was apparently for last year's model (which they're all out of) and the new one doesn't even come with oars.

I'm now looking at the 3 person Sevylor Colossus from CT. Looks to be roughly the same size, and I like the idea of the raised 'seat' in the middle. I'll also go check out the Wal and see what they've got.

I get where your coming from now. In that case i guess an inflatable is a good option for you. Currently I have an Intex Excursion 4. They retail for about 200 bucks but they can be hard to find. Basically the same as the one you were looking at, at CT. I have a hard floor made from 1/2 plywood, a motor mount and a little electric motor. With this setup i can cruise around at a whopping 5kmph
I'll post some pics one day soon. If you decide to go with a hard floor, dont use 1/2 ply, its wayyy to heavy. 1/4in would be plenty but i got the 1/2 for free. OR use blue construction foam, that would also work very well.
Also, this inflatables are NOT fun to paddle at all. Go with one that you can buy a motor mount for.
For small trout pond they can be a good boat. You might also want to look at the pontoons Costco sells. Out of your price range but a better long term investment IMO.
Hope that helps you out!
Tight lines!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Have you considered a belly boat, or is that a no no?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks again for the input guys. I scooped up that 3 person Colossus from CT, filled it up, sat in it, and realized that there was no way I'd be able to comfortably fish out of the thing, so back to the store it went.

After looking around a little more, I saw the Intex Seahawk 400 which looks like a better sized unit...plus it's got a built in rod holder more like the Fish Hunter and a small seat, which I like the idea of. The only problem is that I can't find anywhere that has them in stock!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Fish Hunters are pretty sick. they come with 2 rod mounts, lots of air pockets in case you pop a whole, thick vinasal, and lots mroe for less then 200 bucks i got one and there great!
and good with for fishing
comes from my user name trying to fit 7 people into it haha
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=94409
may help a little!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeincanada780 View Post
x2 , crazy deals on everything and anything!
x3
Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 AM

I have an Intex Mariner which has worked well for me. It was $500 at Canadian tire a few years ago. I picked up a motor mount for $50. It has been very durable and great for rafting as well. It's payload is 900lbs too. Make sure to pick up one of those little boat safety kits if you are putting an electric on your inflatable. I got a warning since I didn't have it.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM

geezle

here is a link for you to check out.

in calgary kijiji

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ288549049

orv.