Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Default bull dog targets

so was wondering if any one uses a bull dog target if so do you like it how well does it work how hard is it to remove an arrow how well do they really last what are they like to deal with any other things you might think important thanks for your impute
Old 03-20-2014, 03:23 PM

I have shot one all winter....it's decent....arrow extraction is quite easy. Just don't keep hammering the same spot over and over. That being said I have never put an arrow through or up to the fletches. This has seen hundreds (maybe over 1000) of arrows from 300fps or faster at 10 yards in my basement.

LC
Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM

I had one, it's okay, I shot grim reaper practice target heads into In and it's was destroyed after 5 shots.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
I had one, it's okay, I shot grim reaper practice target heads into In and it's was destroyed after 5 shots.
.....Field points only

Grim Reaper practice heads are not field points....

LC
Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 PM

every had any warranty issuses
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian medic View Post
every had any warranty issuses
No but they have a lifetime warranty....basically means once you have shot it out they will send you a new target face.

LC
Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Default Bulldog targets

I have 2 a 2x2 and a 3x3and they are really good, just use the proper target points. If you inserts and points are flush with the arrow they are easy to pull. Cheers
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM

really like the look of the 3x3 how heavy is it and where you get it from
Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM

I got mine from wholesale sports, and mine weighs alot more than any other target I used.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Bulldog targets

Not sure how much it weighs but it is heavy, I turn it around or on it's side to spread out the shots and it is a handful to move. I shoot across my rec room/man cave down the hallway and across my garage which is where the targets are in the picture about 40' Cheers
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 PM

Default Bull Dog Targets

Bought 2x2 Block target one year before two bull dog targets which where bought together. Shot Block target in garage for entire winter anywhere from two to ten yards. Still stopped field points great. Hung up first bull dog target outside and kept it covered to protect from elements when not in use. Shot from May to July and cover shredded. Arrows passing through and inserts disappearing somewhere inside. Continually had to use arrow puller. Contacted company for new cover and put up other bull dog while waiting. Shot it out same way by October. Sent away for new cover. Put up Block target that we had shot all previous winter at close range and no more arrow puller, no pass throughs. Took Block down for winter and put it up again in February. Still shooting it and still working great. We are sold on the Block targets and won't buy anything else. Can't believe the durability, ease of arrow removal and stopping ability. Just this archer's opinion but bull dog, no thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 AM

We had the big "Range" Bulldog targets on our outdoor range for the 20-30-40-50-60 etc yard targets....super heavy there is no moving them a whole lot...and everthing downward in size...

The standard has a lifetime warrenty...however they are not easy to rebuild...

The biggest issue we found was UV rays...the outdoor target face material turned to dust in a year...Bulldog replaced all the material less the stuffing to rebuild...it took me a solid week to rebuild...

They stop arrows nicely, but are harder to pull out then some...

The big Caution is dont leave them outdoors for long periods ...when you do have a protective UV cover for them...we now cover them each day after using...a pain but they last a long time that way...

Also never use broadheads on them they are classified as a bag target for broadheads...

For the money, used for only target/field tips they will last like any other and are made in Canada...

Neil
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 AM

I have one and I also have a Spyderweb. I would spend the extra money and get the Spyderweb. Arrow extraction is easier and the life of the target is quite longer. My Bulldog was looking pretty rough after a couple months and I was getting passthroughs after 4 months. The Spyderweb on the other hand has lasted over 2 years with 10,000 plus shots into it.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM

was looking at the spyder web on line it don't have the life time replacement offer so im still looking at the bull dog they say if your getting to much penatration you just rework the bag
Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian medic View Post
was looking at the spyder web on line it don't have the life time replacement offer so im still looking at the bull dog they say if your getting to much penatration you just rework the bag
I don't know of any other target with a lifetime warranty...Although the "rework" may be more than most are willing to venture....

Neil
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Bull Dog Targets

We've "re-worked" the bag to death and the arrows still pass through. The problem is the cover. There's too much reliance on the fabric stopping the arrows or at the very least, slowing them down so they don't pass through the inner works of the bag. Once the cover is shot or shredded, you don't have anything to stop the arrows. The bag itself is full of types of plastic, such as bags and stuff, which we've added to heavily with each replaced cover. The problem is the cover fabric just doesn't stand up to the practising required by the serious archer.