Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2015, 03:23 PM

Default Eye dominance.

This has probably been talked about on here before but I have a friend who is just starting out in the bow hunting world. He is a left handed shooter with right eye dominance. My suggestion was to start shooting with your dominant eye so you don't have to try and fight your brain, also you have a better field of view shooting with both eyes open. Is it not a lot easier to change technique than it is your brain? Let me know what you think and why. He talked to a bow shop owner who convinced him otherwise, am I wrong?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 PM

I shoot left handed but I am right eye dominant....very unorthodox.

Most bow pro shops suggest the archer shoot with eye dominance, there are ways around this as I have figured out and worked on.

LC
Old 02-09-2015, 09:16 PM

Wow don't everyone answer at once. Haha
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 PM

I am right handed but left eye dominant and so I shoot left handed.

I'm not an experienced archer by any means, so when I went to purchase a bow, the pro at the shop I was in suggested I start out shooting in the manner that would require the fewest adjustments and contortions.

I do okay left handed. Just need more practice. But I'm strong and stable in a left hand position and am glad I started out that way.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 PM

I shoot with both eyes open.. Always have just seemed more natural.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 PM

You should shoot with both eyes open, only if you shoot with your non dominant eye should you have to close one eye. You will have better field of view and it's a lot easier to watch arrow flight.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 PM

Learn to shoot with dominate eye an you'll shoot better. I've known lots of right hand guys that find out they got a dominate left eye.
There is always some exceptions to every rule. Lefty is one of them lol I've got another buddy that puts a patch over his eye.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 PM

Another vote to go with the dominate eye from me.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
I shoot with both eyes open.. Always have just seemed more natural.
And as per usual I answered before reading the question properly... Oops sorry.

Use your dominant eye..
Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default eye dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Learn to shoot with dominate eye an you'll shoot better. I've known lots of right hand guys that find out they got a dominate left eye.
There is always some exceptions to every rule. Lefty is one of them lol I've got another buddy that puts a patch over his eye.
I am right handed for everything except shooting, as I am left eye dominant. When I got into archery I wasn't about to switch to the other eye as I shoot shotgun far more. So I went with the lefty bow, at first it felt very awkward as I am right handed, but I would say after less than 100 arrows it was feeling very normal and comfortable. I would say stick with the dominant eye as it doesn't take long to get used to, unless you have a big desire to look like a pirate, then by all means. Good luck, cheers.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Lol....I want a pirate patch!

I close my dominant eye (right) while aquiring the target and drawing my bow, then before the shot/release I open that eye and shoot with both open. This prevents the dominant eye from taking over.

LC
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 AM

I too am "mostly" right handed but am left eye dominant. I shot a right handed bow for a year before I decided to switch. I just could not get the kind of groups I thought I should be able to when I was shooting right handed. I did close my left eye while sighting. It just didn't seem to work for me. I tried a left handed bow. It did feel very awkward at first but within an hour I was shooting tighter groups than I had after a year shooting right handed. When I talk to people about archery and eye dominance my recommendation is always to shoot to the dominant eye.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Another vote for dominate eye...Lefty being an alien and an exception to the rule it is near impossible to shoot opposite of your dominate eye and have proper form with both eyes open...

It is possible like mentioned with dominate eye closed and shooting opposite or wearing a pirate patch..which I have seen several do...

In most cases where one can shoot oppiste the shooter is most likely border line with not only left or right hand but also close with left or right eye...

Some of us just couldnt do it...I know I couldnt/cant shoot left handed...

If one for right eye dominat uses the dominate eye test using the right arm straight out with pointy finger on the X of a target...both eyes open...

Close right dominate eye...I... pointing at X close left eye...am now aiming TWO feet plus just at ten yards to the right of target...

One can visual see the handicap of this very clear...from a aiming standpoint with an open sight shotgun I would miss a moose size critter at ten yards...

Doing so with a rifle utilizing a scope this isnt an issue...even with both eyes open as the scope will take presidence to eye being used...

So with all the above in mind...if one was to shoot with their dominate hand and oppisite dominate eye ..an peep will be absolute nessecary...if peep is magnified ...even better!!!

As a lot of factors can play here...even low light...I suggest trying same hand as strong dominat eye to start!!

JMHO
Neil
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll pass it on.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Default Dominant

I'm a lefty but can shoot either I'm right eye dominant so for my bow I shoot right handed way better to keep both eyes open. Or you can always poke one eye out lol.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
I'm a lefty but can shoot either I'm right eye dominant so for my bow I shoot right handed way better to keep both eyes open. Or you can always poke one eye out lol.
And there we go.. a simple solution, add a Three Stooges routine and its even funny...lol

Neil