Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Warm Water Stress

Catch and Release puts some stress of a fish and there is always some mortality from it no matter how carefull we are to try to release a fish in good shap. We have had some cooler temperatures lately and it should drive down water temperatures somewhat. But there have been some pretty high stream and pond water temps this summer and that puts a lot of stress on fish.

So if you must angle when water temps are high, try not to play a fish to exaustion and try to be extra careful, unhooking it IN THE WATER and don't spend time measuring and photographing it.

Watch your back-cast!
Robin in Rocky
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM

I've always followed the tournament fisherman's idea fo the more the fish is played the less likely it will survive.

I liek to unhook 'em in the water with needle nose and let 'em go!
cat
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-28-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
A guy at Canuck Rubber was looking for a thermometer yesterday to check water temperature, he was told not to fish in streams if the water was ..degrees.
News to me.
"Some streams in the foothills between Rocky Mountain House and the Montana border are experiencing water temperatures as high as 26 C. Trout and mountain whitefish in those streams are particularly hard hit. The Alberta government is receiving reports of dead fish in shallow parts of rivers, reservoirs and lakes in the southern half of the province. Reports vary from a few to several hundred fish of various species in different locations.

While high temperatures persist, anglers can assist our fish populations by avoiding fishing in any foothills streams where water temperatures are found to be about 22 C or higher. Carrying a thermometer to check water temperature before you start fishing will be helpful.

The public is also asked to advise Fish and Wildlife staff if they see large numbers of dead fish. Please contact any Sustainable Resource Development office with information on numbers of dead fish, species if known, and location. Fish and Wildlife staff will closely monitor the situation to determine when conditions have improved, or if further restrictions are needed."

Taken from here

http://www.gov.ab.ca/home/NewsFrame....3A06DA3AB.html
Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Catch and Release puts some stress of a fish and there is always some mortality from it no matter how carefull we are to try to release a fish in good shap. We have had some cooler temperatures lately and it should drive down water temperatures somewhat. But there have been some pretty high stream and pond water temps this summer and that puts a lot of stress on fish.

So if you must angle when water temps are high, try not to play a fish to exaustion and try to be extra careful, unhooking it IN THE WATER and don't spend time measuring and photographing it.

Watch your back-cast!
Robin in Rocky
Good timely advice, Robin, especially about landing fish quickly and keeping the fish in the water,,,, letting fish flop on the bottom of the boat or on the shoreline rocks or mud is always hard on fish, but doubly so when they are stressed from higher water temps. If you must remove the fish from the water, here's a little trick. Hold your breath while you have the fish out of the water. Trust me, you will get the fish back in a lot quicker!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Hold your breath while you have the fish out of the water. Trust me, you will get the fish back in a lot quicker!!!
That is one hell of an idea!!!!!