Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Finally made the Tyee club

Was at Joes Salmon Lodge in Hakai Pass last week, and finally landed a 32 pound Chinook to make the Tyee club!

Caught a few Chinook, but there was much more action with Cohos, and a few Pinks. I even managed to catch a Coho on my 8 weight flyrod and a 'buck-tail' style fly - that was a blast.

Also was able to land a couple of small Halibut.

The fishing is heating up quickly in that area, and in Rivers Inlet - anyone who was trying in our lodge brought home their limit.

As the hat indicates - I must have cut and baited over 100 herring baits - while my partner was the 'master boat operator'!!

Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 PM

THAT'S AWESOME. ONE DAY i WILL GO ON A TRIP, HOPEFULLY LIKE THAT.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM

Good for you thumper.

TBark
Old 07-31-2007, 11:58 PM

Default congrats

Great looking fish!>....congratulations. I'm headed to Northern Vancouver Island for a few days of fishing....leaving tomorrow. Can't wait!.....
Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Banned

Thumper, great fish.
What was Haki like?
its the last place I want to hit up that way.

Unfortunately, though you might have made "Joes" Tyee club, I don't think that qualifies for the BC Tyee club.

Apparently as I understand it, you have to be in a boat operated by oars and use specific line. Its a tough club to become a member of.
I used to think it was specific to on place just off of Van Island, but I understand it good any wear on the coast, providing you follow the rules.
Oak Bay is set up for a guy to do it this way.

Still though GREAT FISH!!
I have been trying for years to get one over 30#s. and have been to 3 of the best spots on the coast. Great catch. How long to bring him in? Any large Coho around?

Jamie
Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 AM

Must be getting old, having to use two hands to hold up that minnow !

(Damn ! I wish I still lived on the coast !)
Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Jamie, way to smash down the guys' 32 pound salmon. give it a rest. its a frickin' tyee man!!!!

M
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Banned

Great job thumper,,,, nice fish congrats on making the Tyee club... I am still working on mine,,, this is the year I know it ...
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Man that just make me miss BC even more its been about 8 years since i Caught one of those i cought a 12lb pike last weekend ......................its just not the same

NICE CATCH!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 PM
-NDN-

thats one heck of as fish good job!!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Just curious...what's the Tyee club?

Ace
Old 08-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Nowadays there are a bunch of different versions of this....

here are the basic's.....From the "Painters Lodge Website"

What is a Tyee?
The term is used to describe Chinook or Spring salmon that weigh 30 lbs. or more. Campbell River is known as the salmon and Tyee capital of the world and it is here that the Tyee Club was born to celebrate BC salmon fishing.

The Birth Of The Tyee Club
In 1924, three men were socializing in the local hotel. They decided that the Tyee salmon was just as great as the California Tuna and therefore deserved a club to celebrate, honour and protect the legendary species. The Tyee Club was officially created in 1925 with the formation of a set of rules.

Traditional tyee fishing is done from classic rowboats in the Tyee Pools. Anglers who catch a Tyee become members of the Tyee Club of British Columbia. It is open to any anglers who want to test their skill at sport fishing. The rower will slip the boat into the currents and eddies of the pool, allowing the angler to stay focused on the action of the lure. Any change in the beat of the rod tip will signify a strike. It is then up to the angler to set the hook and battle the powerful Chinook to the boat - single-handedly. If the fish is successfully boated and weighs over 30 lbs., the catch is recorded and the angler has earned a membership in the Tyee Club.

I have heard other rules such as your line cannot be over 20lb test....and to officially become a member you actually have to fish during one of the Tyee events I believe.....

Like I say, there are lots of variations floating around now.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks Guys!

I was at Joes last year and my fishing partner picked up a 32 pounder, so we had to go this year so I could match him. Now we'll need to break the tie with a trip for marlin or something.

It was challenging bringing it in - and great teamwork with my partner on the net, - but to be honest, I found the Cohos more fun. Lots of air time, and screaming straightaway runs just under the surface like shallow torpedoes. I like the flavour of their redder flesh better too.

I like Hakai Pass because the fishing's excellent, you can navigate by sight (although a GPS helps) and stay off the open ocean when it's rough by using all of the channels and inlets. Joes Salmon Lodge is pretty basic (by Oak Bay Marine & Painters Lodge standards), with shared rooms (2 single beds or 1 single and a bunk bed if there's 3 in your group) and shower down the hall. Meals are solid and you can stay out on the water and fish from dawn to dusk if you want. Good, seaworthy 17ft Boston Whalers and mooching rods/tackle bait. Not guided, but they have a good orientation and show you how to prepare your bait and there's always a 'fish master' on the water and you can follow him to the day's hot spots - or strike out on your own.

For under $3,000 'all-in' from Vancouver south terminal for 3 nights (fish afternoon of arrival, then 2 full days, and morning of departure) - it's not out of reach for the working guy! The ride in/out from Port Hardy on Coastal Mountain Airline's 1946 Gruman Goose is a blast too - if you enjoy vintage aircraft.

If you get a 30 pound + Chinook you get a Joes Salmon Lodge Tyee pin. I guess it's not 'Tyee Club of BC ' certified - but it works for me!
Check out their website http://www.joessalmonlodge.com/
or pm me with your phone number if you want more info.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

Hell of a fish.. Someday I plan on catching one that big.
I have hit 29 pounds 3 times now.. but never 30#s But everytime I have gone someone (other than me) manages to nail a big one.

Great fish,
How long was the fight?
I miss the sound of those screaming reels.

Jamie
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Just curious...what's the Tyee club?

Ace
Thanks Ace, ya beat me to it!

Thumper, beautiful fish and congrats on entering the club. I as yet have not had the chance to get out after 'em but will. I'm from the 'other' coast and my best salmon was 18lbs on a fly outfit. Crazy stuff for sure! Anyway, well done and I'm glad ya had a great trip!

Tree
Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 AM

The teem Tyee refers to any spring, king, chinook that weight 30 pounds or more, originally from the traditional rowboat fishing in the Tyee pool. I guess it's the same as when you kill a 170 whitetail, even if you don't enter it in the book is is still generally called a booner. Congrats on your fish. It was my third trip this past july and I finally caught a tyee as well, 35 lbs.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Congrats dude...
I thought the tyee Club was exclusive to a row boat and 20lbs test line?
Have they changed it, and I didn't know about it?

CH