Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM

Default Fall harness question!!

Hi Guys,

I went out today to try out a fall harness I got from cabelas this morning. Using my climbing stand the lanyard on the harness is no where near long enough to reach the tree while climbing.. how the heck to the figure I am supposed to climb with a tree in my face? Is it possible to add a length of rope between the lanyard and the tree strap or is that a massive no no? Really p'd me off
Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 PM

I don't use my harness while climbing. Not suggesting you don't.......I just find that using a harness while jacking myself up a tree is problematic. I don't use a harness when using my climbing sticks either...........but I do when I'm positioned in the stand
Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 PM

I had to climb and then put the harness on the tree.. but if you ask me I am probably more likely to get into trouble going up or down
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Buy a hunter safety system "rope". It attaches to the tree and gives you all the room or rope you need to use a climber.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-04-2014, 08:54 PM

Is that the rope with that latch on it?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6WTF View Post
A couple of principles of safe use of treestand. Firstly is stay connected to the tree at all times. Assume you can fall and take appropriate precautions. The majority of the falls happening climbing up and down from the treestand.

The long tether is designed for when you are in the treestand itself. You can use a linesman's belt to support yourself as you climb. Once in the treestand, transition to a treestrap and connect your tether.

I have "lifelines" attached to all my treestand. This is a rope running from above the treestand to the bottom with a sliding knot called a prusik that you connect to on the ground then slide it up all the way until you are in the treestand. This is by far the safest method and provides security all the way. Invest in a couple or make the equivalent via MEC.

As an IBEP instructor, I can tell you the facts speak for themselves. The people that have falls developed poor safety habits and did things like climb up without a harness then get dress in the stand...at 25 ft up. Spend the $40 on a lifeline and climb safely.

I fell once, climbing up a short stand height. A branch came off the tree and hit me, knocking me off. I was on a lifeline and fell about 2 ft. If I did not have one, I would have fell 15 and the ground would not have been inviting...

Be safe. Drop me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus32 View Post
A couple of principles of safe use of treestand. Firstly is stay connected to the tree at all times. Assume you can fall and take appropriate precautions. The majority of the falls happening climbing up and down from the treestand.

The long tether is designed for when you are in the treestand itself. You can use a linesman's belt to support yourself as you climb. Once in the treestand, transition to a treestrap and connect your tether.

I have "lifelines" attached to all my treestand. This is a rope running from above the treestand to the bottom with a sliding knot called a prusik that you connect to on the ground then slide it up all the way until you are in the treestand. This is by far the safest method and provides security all the way. Invest in a couple or make the equivalent via MEC.

As an IBEP instructor, I can tell you the facts speak for themselves. The people that have falls developed poor safety habits and did things like climb up without a harness then get dress in the stand...at 25 ft up. Spend the $40 on a lifeline and climb safely.

I fell once, climbing up a short stand height. A branch came off the tree and hit me, knocking me off. I was on a lifeline and fell about 2 ft. If I did not have one, I would have fell 15 and the ground would not have been inviting...

Be safe. Drop me a PM if you have any questions.
This learn how to set up a life line I have used both the Prusil knot and I also like the set up with a Bachmann Knot I like to use the Carabiner for moving up and down the life line. To many horror stories of falls be safe out there.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 AM

This November's Field & Stream has a useful article with drawings
that illustrate the advice given above; there's some other tips too.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6WTF View Post

Yes; Hunters Safety Systems makes them. Should be about $35 at Cabelas. They have a pruissic knot so that you can adjust how long your line is.

They also make the LifeLine, like Morpheous mentioned. Basically the same thing but has enough length to reach down to the bottom of the tree. That is what I use - it's great for when you go up and down the same tree repeatedly - you slide the pruissic knot up/down as you go. You can buy it in multiples of three, so if you have multiple stands, you can leave one at each stand.

Stay safe!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Yup, easy-peasy with a Prusick which is super easy to tie and keeps you safe.
Used this in Industry for years, not just for liflelines but for other rigging as well.
http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/...Categ=climbing
Cat
Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yes; Hunters Safety Systems makes them. Should be about $35 at Cabelas. They have a pruissic knot so that you can adjust how long your line is.

They also make the LifeLine, like Morpheous mentioned. Basically the same thing but has enough length to reach down to the bottom of the tree. That is what I use - it's great for when you go up and down the same tree repeatedly - you slide the pruissic knot up/down as you go. You can buy it in multiples of three, so if you have multiple stands, you can leave one at each stand.

Stay safe!
If you have a bunch of stands, you can make the same at slightly lower cost by heading down to MEC and buying rope to do the same. I used some older climbing rope that I had retired which works great.

The important thing is to plan to fall and take appropriate precautions. The danger comes when you tell yourself...no worries, I have done this hundreds of times and never had issue, up I go with no safety or harness. That will be the day when something happens. Just look up the accidents and how they occur...entirely preventable. Your talking $35 a stand to be entirely safe for the season..
Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Actually a fall harness should act more like a fall restraint wile using it in a tree stand... You really do not want to rely on a fall harness to break your fall should you fall from a tree stand... It should only be your last line of defence...that being said limiting the fall distance wile you are harnessed up should be your main concern aside from not falling in the first place...
Old 11-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Fall arrest and fall restraint are two different things and I think people get them confused at times.
I am all for fall restraint, don't like the fall arrest idea after 30 years in a trade using harnesses of different types every day- or none at all when I first started!!
Cat
Old 11-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
Actually a fall harness should act more like a fall restraint wile using it in a tree stand... You really do not want to rely on a fall harness to break your fall should you fall from a tree stand... It should only be your last line of defence...that being said limiting the fall distance wile you are harnessed up should be your main concern aside from not falling in the first place...
Well I watched the DVD that came with the el cheapo harness I did get. And it seems the goal they are going for is stopping your fall and still being within reach of the stand.

Now with the climber.... I really think that 90% of the reason I would fall is if the stand fell down... which would leave me high and dry anyhow!

I went and tried it out. With just that short strap and the stand is horrible! I HATE IT! Thing feels like a death trap.. and I get about 10-15 feet up and I literally cant talk myself into going any further.

I might save it till there is some snow on the ground and practice with it off season. I dont want to be THAT guy who bought a stand went out and hung by my ball sack from a tree till I passed out and died. ..

Im picking up a blind tomorrow, I have six days left at the end of the month (gotta go to work) so it looks like I will be eating tag soup for the second year in a row
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 PM

What stand do you have?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM

I have an old warren and sweat. Has blades to go around the trees instead of cables