Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Ice Fishing Tents

I'm looking for a good reliable ice hut. I'm not sure if I should look at a 1, 2 or 3 man. Any advise??
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Default Ice Fishing tents

My advice would be to go for a 3 or 4 man tent. I bought a 2 man frabill last year and I find it to be too small I wish I had spent more and gone bigger

Bob
Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 PM

I've heard of guys using summer tents and throwing a black tarp over it. They cut the floor out of it large enough for 2 holes. I have a large 4 man tent that doesn't get much use in the summer. Could that work?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Default tents

My girlfriend got me a 4 man ice cube for christmas. Just used it for the first time today... Had 3 ppl in there in lawn chairs, fishing 4 holes. Had a 20 lb propane bottle with a sunflower on it in the middle and we were good to go. as far as room in the tent goes, it was pretty decent, a bit bigger would be better, but I haven't seen any portable tents any bigger then the 4 man ice cube.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 AM

The 4 man ice cube is perfect for two people with all their gear. Three people is OK but I found it crowded. The 4 man ice cube is a solid choice if your looking for a tent.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
The 4 man ice cube is perfect for two people with all their gear. Three people is OK but I found it crowded. The 4 man ice cube is a solid choice if your looking for a tent.
I agree. I have the four man and find it is just right for two. I built a folding floor out of 5/8 plywood (maybe a little light) with a hitch for my snowmobile. Saves taking it down everytime you want to move. They are a little awkward to set up and take down alone if it is windy.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Default Shappel 3000 3man

Just got our new Shappel 3000 Cabin style shelters .

Will try them today .....will let you know ......

looked plenty big for 2 guys when I set it up in the

living room ( wife was impressed ..)

Will be interesting to see how wind worthy , it is .

probably have to make some modifications ...

Fishin hole has these , not a bad price ....
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Just bought a 4 man ice cube and tried it at kananaskis on Thursday, love it would not go smaller. It is perfect for 2 people with the underwater camera and a little heater. Takes only 2 minutes to set up and 1 to take down
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 AM

Default Depends....

The size you'll want will depend on several factors including:
-How will you transport it? (Do you have a pick up truck or a Smart Car?)
-How will you get it out on the lake? (A vehicle, quad, two feet and a heartbeat, etc.)
-How many people do you usually fish with? (I suggest going with 1 size bigger than suggested by the manufacturer.)
-How mobile do you want to be? (i.e. do you set up once for the day or do you move around?)

I have tried a few different kinds over the years and have seen a few others. I have used the 1 man fold up kind for several years that they used to sell at the Fishin' Hole and it has served it purpose well, but I just bought a Clam 2000 from Bass Pro Shops to have a little extra room. It hasn't arrived yet, but it received really good reviews on Cabela's. The Fishin' Hole has the Clam 5600 but it weighs 75 lbs which is WAY to heavy for most people unless you take your vehicle on the lake (which I NEVER do anymore).

I find the Ice Cube a nice tent however it's a pain in the @$$ to set up in the wind and it has no floor so there's nothing holding it in place unless you put some guy wires out to hold it in place.

I've never used the Shappell tent, but I saw it set up in the Fishin' Hole and the material looked really thin and I questioned its durability.

I have a friend that has the 1 man Eskimo quick flip, and although it's nice and dark inside, it's a pain to haul around and doesn't fold up very small (it takes the entire back of his explorer to fit it in).

I'm not sure if there's a magic tent that would be good for everyone, but typically you get what you pay for so don't chince out or you'll regret it.

Just my $0.02.

-Trevor
Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondeta View Post
I've heard of guys using summer tents and throwing a black tarp over it. They cut the floor out of it large enough for 2 holes. I have a large 4 man tent that doesn't get much use in the summer. Could that work?
I would not recommend it. It would freeze to the ice and never come off.

A heavy woods canvas tent without a floor may work. Depends though if you want it dark enough to see the bottom or down the hole. In that case you need a black tent. Black also helps keep you warmer.

a sewn black heavy plastic bag works for a one man. Just don't let the wind catch it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up eskimo 6 man

my wife bought me the 6 man the greatest tent ever. I could park my full size dodge in it and it sets up like nothing 3 guys a table hotplate and the fish come right out of the hole and into the butter. yesterday i had 4 adults 2 kids and 8 holes, with room to spare. It was a gift from the fishing gods.
go to redrock.com with shipping it came to 416.00. Get on there soon it doesn't stay in stock and not avalible in Canada
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM

I got a 3 man tent for christmas... i think it would be very tight with 3 people in it.... i usually carry alot of gear with me and it works perfect for me.... i dont think i would want a 2 man tent.... 3 man is good for 2 people with gear.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM

I built my own collapsable shelter. Hard floor and end walls. Canvass side walls and roof. It's 4'x12' and is very comfortable for 4 people.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

It isn't light, so these ice cubes or others do have some good advantage there.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM

I Had a friend who was a welder and he fab'ed a "light weight" house for a large group of us who wanted to go to Upper Kananaskis. I thought I was going to die when we had to haul it out at the end of the day.

You did a very nice job there A,D but you're right: all the alternatives have their advantages and disadvantages. The tents give you mobility and the huts have all the comforts if home. I think you can even get cable.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:14 PM
TundraBuck

The Eskimo Quickfish III has served me well. 250 bucks at Costco. Worth every penny.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Default ice fishing tents

I have the shappell 6000 which is 6x6x8 with ice anchors which I predrill with a 3/8 drill.Will hold 3 guys easily 2 if you have lots of gear. Takes 1 minute to set up and the same down. Weighs 25 lbs. has a carrying case with straps very easy to haul. I use a quad with sled behind so I usually take way more than I need.