Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Default Mikisew Fishing Sign of the times, hope nobody lost deposits

Due to the present tough economic times Mikisew Sport Fishing will not be taking bookings for the upcoming 2016 season. We would like to thank all past customer for their support and ask that you please touch base in the fall via a return to this email and further updates will be provided at that point.

Ron Herman
Corporate Sales Manager
Mikisew Group of Companies
Cell: 780 996 6145
Ron.Herman@mesg.ca

www.mikisewgroup.com
Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. I would have though they would have just started marketing to United States costumers given we have a 35% off sale for them.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Was just thinking the same thing. I know bookings are way up for next summer at the place I guide at in Ontario. %30 cheaper for the americans is a pretty good discount on a fishing vacation!
Old 11-19-2015, 07:06 PM

The exchange rate wasn't much different than it is now for the people that took trips over this last 2015 season, & I'd say Mikisew barely broke even.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Banned

Default Mikisew

Ever since their airline was shut down things have trended in this direction. It would be very hard to restart after being own for a year as the cabins will be in rough shape. I wonder if they will just leave the boats and motors on the various lakes?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXL View Post
The exchange rate wasn't much different than it is now for the people that took trips over this last 2015 season, & I'd say Mikisew barely broke even.
But did they step up the marketing to the Americans. From some that I spoke to at the Boat/sportsman show in the spring a number of them missed the dollar shift and did no or little marketing to the American Market. Which is unfortunate.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned

Default Not a surprise

When Tim left, you could tell this enterprise was not getting the attention it deserved. Even though Tim wasn't the most organized, he always met us in Fort Mac and was there when we returned. That did not happen last year. Plus they lost Brian's services in Fort Chip and he looked after a lot of the little details like making sure there was gas, oil and propane and that things worked OK.
In my experience dealing with native run enterprises, they could use a good helping hand with marketing and customer service.
If it was handled and promoted better, it could have been a good tool or developing Ft Chip as a tourist destination but maybe that wasn't in the cards.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Obviously the band ran out of taxpayer money!!! They ran as good a subsidized enterprise as could be expected. Lastest longer than most, must have been the tips that kept them operating as long as they did. Avgas costs money, and plane maintenance also costs.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 PM

A person probably could snag that operation pretty cheap right now.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Banned

I ran a fly in outfit. It's hard enough to break even let alone make any money, especially when you have to pay McMurray aviation a quarter of a million for flights. I wouldn't buy mikisew for 100,000. Trust me. It's a tough racket. If you had your own plane and wanted to run a mom and pops outfit you could make it work. .. just my 2 cents. I worked with Tim and know him well. The shows are expensive and a grind. I did 10 one year and I didn't see the return hardly at all.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:31 PM

I agree with binnzer32 about Mcmurray Aviation & there monopoly to charge what they want ever since Air Mikisew shut down, as there is no other charter/sched flight competition. And yes, those sport shows are very expensive to be an exhibitor. As far as the band goes, they would most certainly want $100,000 plus per camp if they were ever to sell, but I am pretty certain that they won't sell as a few of those camps are on there own reserve land.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXL View Post
I agree with binnzer32 about Mcmurray Aviation & there monopoly to charge what they want ever since Air Mikisew shut down, as there is no other charter/sched flight competition. And yes, those sport shows are very expensive to be an exhibitor. As far as the band goes, they would most certainly want $100,000 plus per camp if they were ever to sell, but I am pretty certain that they won't sell as a few of those camps are on there own reserve land.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
A person probably could snag that operation pretty cheap right now.
What's the draw there over a lodge in Sask or Manitoba? Can a walleye be kept for shore lunch? Any chance at a few pike over 30 lbs? I have never been up,there so I do not know.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:56 PM

So does that mean we can go up and use the cabins ?
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
So does that mean we can go up and use the cabins ?
Well that would be a nice idea if they didn't have eyes and ears everywhere to tell them if someone was using their camps. We have heard that if they find anyone at their camps they would charge them with trespassing not to mention that's it's a BIG Liability issue. Remember they know everyone in the area: float pilots, forestry pilots, the list goes on....
Old 11-23-2015, 03:21 PM

Nothin they can do if I charter a float plane and set up my tent on the big rock at Charles Lake North....
Old 01-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Banned

Any positive news on this?
You would think the ft Mac would try to keep this alive considering the loss of oil traffic.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:21 PM

After last year with the new managers, you could see it coming.... Upgraded cabins but most of the rest of the gear needed maintenance at most camps... It's to bad, loved going to their camps..... Been going for years! Need to find another remote camp outfit now I guess....
Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 AM

We went to Loutit and you could see the neglect there big time. It's too bad. Just need the right people to step in a make it shine again. I'd love to do it but it's just not in the cards right now.