Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-04-2016, 03:48 PM

Default New to archery

Well I've waited long enough, been wanting to get into archery for a couple of years now and it's finally time. I plan on going bow shopping this coming weekend, I haven't shot a bow since I was a kid so I'm thinking its best I buy new from a shop? I see there are a lot of good deals out there on used equipment but I don't have the first clue as to setup or things to watch for so am I best to buy a lower quality bow from a shop but be able to get setup and fitted and whatnot vs being able to afford something better used. There's no shops in Edson where I live so I will most likely be heading east to look around
Old 12-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Default Accurate Archery

Turn north on hwy 43 to Alberta Beach and go see Lawrence at Accurate Archery. You won't be disappointed and you will be able to shoot Hoyt, Prime, Elite, Mathews, and I even think he has a PSE forsale. He carries the Hoyt Powermax which is rated one of the best entry level package on the market.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Yup, Lawrence at Accurate Archery will introduce you to a lot of bows and will answer any questions that you may have about archery gear in general. In fact he will likely answer questions you haven't even thought to ask yet, lol. He is a wealth of knowledge and will readily share it with you!

Norm
Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Big fan of Lawrence as well. Call first to make sure he is in.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:29 PM

Accurate Archery which has already been mentioned a few times, and a little farther east and you have Jim Bows, in Edmonton. Both are excellent. Not sure what brands or stock they have to shoot, but I would call each and find out what they have and price ranges.

You will need arrows, case and release also which can add up quickly. You may also want to pick up a target unless you belong to a club.

IMO- buy new and get fit. Get the best bow you can afford, rests and sights can always get upgraded later. Selling your bow down the road you will lose 30-50% on it selling it used.

Good luck, happy shopping
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the responses I was planning on checking out accurate archery and it's good to hear all the positive recommendations for them. Hopefully by Saturday I'll be posting up what I got👍
Old 12-05-2016, 10:52 AM

T and T archery in Sherwood park is very good to deal with as well... best to try out as many model as possible...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 12-05-2016, 10:57 AM

Ok I hadn't heard of them yet, I will most likely spend the day working my way east depending how it goes
Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
T and T archery in Sherwood park is very good to deal with as well... best to try out as many model as possible...
John and Diane are really at TnT as well. Have Athens and Obsession archery as well as prime and Bowtech I think
Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 PM

I'd be happy to meet up at one of the ranges as show you my bow and coach you a little, if you'd like. I also work as a bow technician right now if you are in the market for something.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:15 PM

If you are planning on checking out more than 1 shop don't forget to check out Jimbows in North West Edmonton. They are great to deal with as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Bought my new bow from there today awesome service and very nice people!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Default Budget shrunk

Thanks guys going to head out in the morning and see what I find budget had to shrink unfortunately but worst case I will figure out what I like and save if needed.. thanks dukesarcher that's nice of you to offer but I'm 5 hours from calagry
Old 12-11-2016, 06:36 PM

Wholesale sports still has some bows on for 40% off. I picked up a bow tech carbon icon package for $510.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 PM

I ended up picking up a Mathews creed xs from Lawrence at accurate archery, tried out quite a few bows and it just felt right to me, tried the powermax among others and they just didn't do it for me. Very happy with the purchase experience I was in there for over 2hrs and already learned so much I wouldn't have thought of👍
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedstew View Post
I ended up picking up a Mathews creed xs from Lawrence at accurate archery, tried out quite a few bows and it just felt right to me, tried the powermax among others and they just didn't do it for me. Very happy with the purchase experience I was in there for over 2hrs and already learned so much I wouldn't have thought of👍
Thats great that you found a bow that you liked. It's even better that you shot lots!

Congratulations on your purchase, enjoy!

Norm

Last edited by normanrd; 12-12-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedstew View Post
You will be a mile ahead than most as you know you are set right with draw length etc. A few good bow techs in the Edmonton area but I think Lawrence is best and takes his time to make sure your ready.