Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Slave Lake Help

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help finding walleye in the Joussard area of Slave Lake. We've got a seasonal site at a campground out there, so I've probably spent 30+ hours fishing the area this summer. The entire area seems to be just big flat bowl, I've got to run a hell of a way off shore just to hit 20 feet. I can't seem to find any sort of structure. We were out this last week and everyone seemed to be scattered all over the place. Is this the norm? Is everyone just trolling bait rigs around until they find the depth the walleye are holding? That seems to be the only way I've been able to pick up even a few fish. Actually, the best fishing I had this year was from the dock at the Joussard boat launch in late May when the fish were just coming off the spawn!

Also, if anyone could give me a few hints on finding perch, I would appreciate it. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to open water perch fishing and I'd like to get my 7 year old on to some. Thanks for any help you could give me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 AM
sheephunter

Walleye in Lesser Slave love the flats and trolling bottom bouncers and spinner rigs is the best way to find and catch them during the summer months. There are a couple humps (called the Joussard Bars) off the campground that usually produce well and Little Grassy Point is always good as well. Do you have GPS?

Here's a couple GPS coordinates in that region that may help you out.

West Bar 55 25 386/115 57 426
Little Grassy 55 25 797/116 00 043
Big Grassy 55 24 401/115 50 443
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks a lot Sheep! Our campground is in the little bay between Joussard and Little Grassy so we are right there. I don't have a GPS yet, but I think now I will be lobbying my wife to get one. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM

I was farther west at Spruce Point, first time on the lake so I just went to where the other boats were. About 2 1/2 miles out to the north, 24 -29 feet of water. Fishing with pickerel rigs, they were biting on worms, minnows and jigs with no bait. Caught quite a few but biggest was only 50 1/2 cm (most were 40 to 47). Got very windy Sunday and Monday morning so came home.
Good luck
Doug
Old 08-14-2007, 12:02 PM

We haven't caught anything over 49 cm all year. Everyone is in the 41-47 cm range.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 AM

I talked to a friend who has a cabin at Faust (I think) and knows that end of the lake. He says 50 cm. is a very nice eye
in that area, he's caught bigger but not that many.
Good luck
Doug