Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM

Default Which type of line should I use with a Bait casting reel?

Hey folks, I need some advise. I tried spooling my bait casting reel with some braided line but because it is such a small diameter, it seems to bind up when I cast. Should I use a different type of line? Any help would be great.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Minimum 10 lb mono
Old 04-14-2010, 10:41 PM

I've used braided for years. I like the feel for jigging over mono, one thing is you can't fill your reel up too full or you end up with rats nests. And when you do get one don't even try to untangle, cut reload and go. Snags can be tough too, braid doesn't break easily.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 AM

This might be a silly question, and I mean no disrespect by it, but are you new to baitcasters?

I ask because I hear they can be a bit of a pain to get dialled in properly, which can lead you to birds' nests, regardless of the type of line you're using. Most guys that I know that use baitcasters have them loaded up with one braided line or another.

I don't use a baitcaster myself (the learning curve intimidates me a bit ) but I've seen that once you've got it set up right you can cast a freakin' mile with them. Hope you get it figured out

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 AM

Power pro.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Best to learn with mono line. Cheaper to replace if you have to cut/remove and easier to untangle. Once you become proficient with casting switch to a superline if you wish(heavier the better 12 pound diameter equivalent). Once you get comfortable with that, than you can see how lite you can go.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Even if you get a rats nest with power pro, simply just pull it out and it will be fine. Unlike mono where it's wasted.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Power Pro works well. Make sure to spool it on as tight as possible and it won't cut into itself as much and cause the binding. As for birds nests I've had my fair share some were easy to clear up some not so easy but the power pro is a fairly easy line to untangle.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Ive used spiderwire and fireline since it came out as well as bunch of others. Have not tried power pro as yet but bought some at BP Tuesday. Finally decided to try it. Seems to be highly rated by the members on here(thats why I bought it). Thanks mustang and others.

edit-I will try it on spinning reels first though
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM

I am fairly new to baitcasting, I had a cheap one before which I used mono on & it was a nightmare & scared me off. I now have a good reel & loaded it with 30lb braid line. I have been playing around with the settings as recommended for beginners. done about 20 casts with no bird nesting at all. I am only casting about a 80ft right now but as I get better will back off the drag & break, then I sure I will curse the day I bought it.

Right now I am pumped to get on the lake with it.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondeta View Post
Hey folks, I need some advise. I tried spooling my bait casting reel with some braided line but because it is such a small diameter, it seems to bind up when I cast. Should I use a different type of line? Any help would be great.
Its sounds like you have one of two problems. Either the reel isn't dialed in properly creating a bird's nest (which is really easy to remove just by pulling on the right piece of line), or you didn't wind on the braid tight enough when you spooled up the reel. You really need to tighten up on the drag and get braid on really tight when spooling or it'll start digging down thru the layers. I've got 30lb. braid on all of my baitcasters and will never switch back to mono.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to try a heavier line and make sure to keep the line as tight as possible when I re-spool it.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondeta View Post
I had this problem and the ppl here recommended

-spool on braid very tight.

-use a braid with the thickness of the recommended mono for that reel. So if your reel recommends 10lbs-15lbs line, find a braid that has the thickness of 10lbs-15lbs mono. If you don't do this you end up using a braid that is thinner than the reel is designed for and therefore cuts in on the spooled line.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:38 PM

I find myself disagreeing with the spool it on as tight as you can. There should be some tension but not excessive. One other thing is when you balance your reel for a 3/4 oz spoon and then switch to a 1/2 oz rap you need to atleast adjust the fine adjust dial. Otherwise get you birds nest picking fingers ready.

Fireline 14-20# only way to go theres almost no birds nest to big that you can't pick out with it. It becomes almost an art lol.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Power Pro Braid 12lb minimum.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I find myself disagreeing with the spool it on as tight as you can. There should be some tension but not excessive.
You would be surprised how little tension a person can actually put on the line while spooling. IMO, its nowhere near the tension that a 15 pound pike can put on while fighting it, and I've had salmon take line with my Abu 7000 on its heaviest setting.