Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Default Muzzy! 3Blade, MX3, MX4??

I've decided on the Muzzy broadhead, ive seen good reviews and seems to be a durable broadhead. But now my dilemma! Which is better 3 blade 100gr, the MX3 or the MX4?
The MX3/4 are very much alike but im wondering wich is better 3 blades or 4 blades?

Im shooting 60lb draw, mainly going for moose!

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for so many broadhead questions!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I've decided on the Muzzy broadhead, ive seen good reviews and seems to be a durable broadhead. But now my dilemma! Which is better 3 blade 100gr, the MX3 or the MX4?
The MX3/4 are very much alike but im wondering wich is better 3 blades or 4 blades?

Im shooting 60lb draw, mainly going for moose!

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for so many broadhead questions!
Ive used the the 3 blade head and liked them, im not sure one is better than the other just different. the 3 blade has a bigger cut (1 3/16) than the 4 blade which has a 1'' cut. Hope that helps
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Have heard a lot of good things about the 3 blade
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM

I shoot the 3 blade taken several deer with them, do a grat job. This last year i took a whitetail buck, arrow did not pass through which i thought was wierd when he took off with the arrow. Upon pulling the arrow out I found that the black screw on tip had come off(im guessing in flight) and only 1 blade came out with the head, but the other were recovered though
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Default 3 blade

Another vote for the 3 blade. I shoot them and they have served me well. Tuned my bow in with field tips and tried a broadhead and they shot the same place as the field tips right off the bat.
If you're pulling 60 lbs, you wont have an issue. The bonus about Muzzy's is that they are cheaper than the rest. 6 pack for $32 at Cabelas. The rest are twice the price. I also like the interchangeable blades - no need to resharpen.

I shot a moose at 45 yards, and yes I know, not an ideal shot...but I shot it in the spine and it blasted right through the spine. I don't think that is typical, but it boosted my confidence in my choice of broadheads.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Hey Bassett,

Sorry I can not add any advice because I am still trying to figure out what broadhead to use for this season (my first).
Why did you pick the Muzzy and what others were you looking at?

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 AM

Default MX3's

Another vote for the 3 blade....5x4 muley buck, about 25 yards, complete pass thru breaking a rib on the exit side. He bled out and fell over within 50 yards. A brother and nephew shoot the four blade MX4's and like them as well. The MX models have thicker blades than the "regular" Muzzy's, so there is only three to a pack instead of six, but on the afore mentioned buck, I only had to touch up one blade with my sharpener. Also like the fact that they come with practice blades. At the end of the day, it's a personal choice and I am more than happy with the Muzzy's. Good luck and happy hunting!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM

I tried Muzzy MX-3's for the first time last fall, and here are the results. I was very impressed with how well they flew, and when it came time, they blew through this guy, @ 32 yards, like a hot knife through butter. I hit him a touch high and forward, clipping the back edge of the shoulder blade, (which broke one blade off) but it punched through both lungs, and I heard him crash 5 seconds later, 60 yards away.

While the one blade did break, I think that was due to the fact that this particular blade took the full impact of the arrow, rather than letting the chisel tip do the work.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Muzzy heads. I've used various mechanical heads with good success in the past (Spitfires in particular) , but the fixed blades are basically foolproof, which is good for a fool like me.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Ive shot alot of deer with MX3's cannot go wrong with them.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Muzzy makes a solid broadhead, I have used their products in the past with success, I don't see how you could go wrong with them.

3 v. 4 blade is not a huge issue, but if it were I doing the shopping I would feel inclinded to buy the 4 blade b/c I remember trying to assemble the three blade head for the first time and I cut myself pretty good.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Nice to heir all the input on these muzzy but what does it do on long shots ? 70 or 80 yards . How's it fly ? What kind of arrow drag are we dealing with ?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 PM

ancient thread, but still relevant....3 blade 100 gr impacts same as my field points out to 50, but when shot into a stiff headwind there was a 6-8 inch drop...though it was the same with strikers. 70-80 yards you are gonna see a lot of wind drag and deflection with any fixed blade broadhead. Not really a good idea IMO because you cant practice EVERY wind speed and direction, to know whats going to happen. if you are going to take shots that far out, a heavy arrow with a good mechanical might be a better choice.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 AM

While I am no tech I can tell you I love the Muzzy 3 blade they fly true and without issue. They are a proven effective fixed blade killer. Don't get me wrong I am sure there are other great broad heads out there but Muzzy has never steered me wrong so why changed. I have shot them out to 60 yards at targets without any issue. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:31 PM

Default 3 blade muzzy for me

Almost all of the reasons why I continue to shoot 100 grain muzzy have been mentioned already. Personally I went to them some years ago to ensure I got an exit hole on the bottom side of big bodied deer that were shot from steep angles from tree stands. Another thing to consider is how long the company has been around. They have to be putting out a good product to survive this long while so many "fad" broad heads have disappeared.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Changed my set up to muzzy phantoms. I like them way better
Old 09-26-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post

While the one blade did break, I think that was due to the fact that this particular blade took the full impact of the arrow, rather than letting the chisel tip do the work.
Wow personally I would call the perticular broadhead a failure...not just because of broken blade...which should have sliced thru in most cases..but also because of the way the other blade looks...

Not knocking what anyone shoots or their choice...JMHO on this head shown

Neil