Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Default This is one reason I don't watch these mining shows just imagine the damage your doing to all this pristine country and then leaving it

Former 'Yukon Gold' TV star fined $145K for leaving big mess at mining claim
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...ined-1.4342786
Shared via the CBC News Android App

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Former 'Yukon Gold' TV star fined $145K for leaving big mess at mining claim
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...ined-1.4342786
Shared via the CBC News Android App

the other day Beets was found guilty of illegally killing black bears. 4 I believe.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM

Yes I read that too

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM

Default yukon gold

I agree the boys must clean-up their mining sites after processing material for gold recovery. Beets has lots of $$$ so should be able to pay his fines. Foy however has never recovered much gold or made any money. He should find another line of work.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM

Mining has been changing the landscape in the Yukon for 100 years. And there are reclamation regulations in place.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Mining has been changing the landscape in the Yukon for 100 years. And there are reclamation regulations in place.
Right , and what does the article say/imply.
Just because regulations are in place doesnt mean they are being followed now does it ?
Rob
Old 09-15-2018, 10:59 AM

There was a study not too long ago quoting how much tax payer dollars would cost for cleaning up abandon oil leases in Alberta, it was staggering.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Is his company bankrupt?

Maybe they have to do what they do for tires. Pay for the environmental disposal fees upfront. That way. If the money is managed. It should be there for the cleanup at the end!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 PM

I read somewhere that he Yukon government thinks it may cost a million or more to clean up Ken Foy's mess. So that is taxpayers money. Not good.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM

Should take the producers of the show to court if possible.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Should take the producers of the show to court if possible.
Why?
Old 09-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Why?
I never watch the show, so am uninformed. I said "if possible", meaning if they shared in the responsibility.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I never watch the show, so am uninformed. I said "if possible", meaning if they shared in the responsibility.
I believe they are actual and established miners. It would seem they are there just to film. If it’s the production crews mess then yes. Charge them. If not, let them be. Entertaining show.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 PM

My brother in law was on an episode or two. Worked his ass off for the first year. Equipment rentals etc. etc. Made 60k when all was said and done. Not sure how he made out his second year. Fun stuff.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I believe they are actual and established miners. It would seem they are there just to film. If it’s the production crews mess then yes. Charge them. If not, let them be. Entertaining show.
Established Miners, yes. Bankrolled by the shows, most defiantly. Not to the extent of Gold Rush mind you, but they get paid for the filming. Guaranteed that contracts absolve the production company's from any liability.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Established Miners, yes. Bankrolled by the shows, most defiantly. Not to the extent of Gold Rush mind you, but they get paid for the filming. Guaranteed that contracts absolve the production company's from any liability.
Agreed.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Seemed every season he lost money or barely broke even. Doesn’t surprise me.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:17 PM

Here you get a fine for crossing a creek on your quad, there they are running oil leaking equipment up and down those drainages. There might be regulations in place but they must be pretty relaxed.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:14 PM

I’m not what you’d call a big fan but I watch occasionally and as both an avid flyfisher with a background in oilfield and log haul road construction, I’ve often wondered how they get away with the irreparable destruction they do to watercourses?Seems like a crime against nature the mess they make imho.
They’d never get away with that anywhere else,jeezus ya need a zillion permits and environmental studies to put a bloody culvert in for a seasonal trickle here in most cases.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Here you get a fine for crossing a creek on your quad, there they are running oil leaking equipment up and down those drainages. There might be regulations in place but they must be pretty relaxed.
Eggzakly!!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 PM

Most of those “reality” shows are a joke anyway,they MUST get paid a ton to have film crews under their feet all the time and re-takes and phoney nonsense.
As a former commercial fisher and long time trucker Imho the only show that’s worth a damn for reality is Deadliest Catch,and even it gets a bit foolish and phoney with drama sometimes.
Ice Road Truckers is the worst,what a phony buncha tards and overdramatic narrating,we watch that in logging camp both as a comedy hour and a training video on how NOT TO drive off-road,lmfao!!😂😝
It’s kinda like a train wreck though,ya don’t want to watch but can’t help yourself,if only to see what carnage and stupid chit is gonna happen next,lolol
Old 09-15-2018, 11:26 PM

I really only watch the show to see Beets implode and the gold count at the end. An hour program takes about 7 minutes with a PVR.

Everywhere we live and travel was once pristine. How many trillion hectares have been changed in North America and all over the Planet by human hands? When it is seen on TV it is a tragedy? Sounds like NIMBY rhetoric.

Lol.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM

I sometimes watch Gold Rush. Much of what they are mining is property that was formerly mined 75 or more years before. So it is not virgin territory. They should still have to cleanup, but don't acting as if it is pristine river bottom.

Most importantly would be to not discharge dirty water to a fish bearing river. DOF can levy huge fines.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Yeah I get a kick out of the reforestation north of my hometown McMurray.
Stunted trees replanted 30 years ago with only what amounts to 10 years growth. Progress comes with a price...
Old 09-17-2018, 05:44 PM

Just back from there Placer mining is a messy environmentally destructive process no doubt about it. Article in the Whitehorse Star, Sept. 10, about a miner being fined 4,500. for several charges relating to allowing oil to leak out of a dismantled bulldozer. Seems a pittance. Yukon is built on mining and they never forget it. You never get to see the scope of the environmental damage on those Reality shows.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...fine-1.4810540
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 09-17-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Biggest problem is real gold nuggets were taken out of Yukon in late 1800's. Now they are moving lot of material for very little pay. Not enough $$$ left after repairing equipment, paying for high cost fuel and wages to do any quality reclamation.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Biggest problem is real gold nuggets were taken out of Yukon in late 1800's. Now they are moving lot of material for very little pay. Not enough $$$ left after repairing equipment, paying for high cost fuel and wages to do any quality reclamation.
Guy I ran into, obviously one of the bigger operators, claimed they took 6000 ounces, between three camps, last season. They're working at bedrock level and you've got to move a lot of overburden to get there.

Grizz
Old 09-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Default mining

My observation - I spent two weeks in the Yukon and Northern BC earlier this month. I reflected several times on the damage to the landscape that has gone on for the last 120 years up there. The dredge tailings are easy to spot and I imagine that most drainages have been completely turned upside down, probably more than once each. I think the reasons it goes on is in large part that there is nobody there to see it. Yukon only has 38,000 people and 28,000 of them are in Whitehorse.
I am a fan of the show Yukon Gold (I think its off air now). I watch Gold Rush sometimes and this trip I saw Tony Beets coming off the ferry with some equipment in Dawson. Was kinda neat seeing the guys with cameras following him around.
That said, beautiful country and I cant wait to spend more time up there some day.
kidd
Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Seemed every season he lost money or barely broke even. Doesn’t surprise me.
Agreed
Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
the other day Beets was found guilty of illegally killing black bears. 4 I believe.
He was also convicted of pouring gas onto a dredge pond and lighting it, known as a Viking babtism.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...nced-1.4263463

He was also convicted of moving multiple heavy loads either without a permit or out of season, can't recall and can't find a link to that one. It happened when he was moving the second dredge. He even admitted during the show he knew it was illegal, but did it anyways and filmed it, what a dummy.

He dosent seem to think rules and laws apply to him.

On a positive note we won't have to watch Todd Hoffman this coming season, he gave up gold mining to be a musician. That guy couldn't find gold in a jewelry store