Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You don't need to hunt to be an outdoorsman , but by the same token, an outdoor forum is not really a suitable hangout for an anti hunter.
Why? Couldn't an anti-hunter enjoy the outdoors?
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anti-hunters ......... they get a mention in the AO 'rules'.

Quote:
This message board intended use is for hunters, anglers, trappers, and all individuals who may be interested in the Outdoors. Therefore, anti-hunters, anti-anglers, and anti-trappers are not welcome to the use of this message board.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=10691

So sad about that kid.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 AM

Terrible situation and what a grizzly scene. For owners of dogs with Pitt bulls or variations like it yes I know that they can be friendly and nice but you are in big trouble if you have that breed and it attacks an person. They earned their reputation. I have a friend who always had Pitt bull cross dogs cause she liked them and wanted to prove to world how nice they are. After some bills from the vet for attacking other dogs she gave them up and it was only a matter of time before her dogs hurt a person.
From what I seen of these dogs is that the killer instinct was always there just below the surface and was ready to snap at any time.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Very bad situation for all involved, sad too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Default pit bulls

Sad state,TV show last night how do gooders were importing about 800 pit bulls from California into Calgary. Would be interesting if this is one of those nice puppies brought from US.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Shouldn't be welcome on a forum that promotes hunting but by all means nature walk till yer hearts content...

Last edited by 1899b; 09-17-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Playing with semantics?

If you browse through the sub forums you will see that right below General is Hunting, below that is Guns and Ammo, then Archery. It’s not a hidden theme, it’s up front, this site was designed for hunters and gatherers not anti hunters. As a matter of fact, anti hunters are the only group which threatens our forum and have no business browsing our pages let alone becoming an antagonizing member. They should be rooted out and banned.

How long would peta put up with people posting stories of a successful hunt and the delicious meal that followed? Would they be welcomed with open arms because they too love animals?

Give your head a good hard shake.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM

I'll say my piece. Dogs are breed to do jobs, terriers are bred to either kill stuff or really hurt stuff. People that are surprised when a terrier tears something apart are the real problem. they do not understand dogs or breeding. It would be like me expressing surprise when my pointer points. I don't understand it, it's totally out of character, he's never pointed before. I find people that own the terrier breeds are the most unqualified people to own dogs, never mind terriers.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'll say my piece. Dogs are breed to do jobs, terriers are bred to either kill stuff or really hurt stuff. People that are surprised when a terrier tears something apart are the real problem. they do not understand dogs or breeding. It would be like me expressing surprise when my pointer points. I don't understand it, it's totally out of character, he's never pointed before. I find people that own the terrier breeds are the most unqualified people to own dogs, never mind terriers.
This is bang on!!
Shocking that a dog that was breed to kill and rip apart other dogs, turns and kills and rips apart a human..
I know not all pit bulls are bad, but lets face it, that's what they were made for. SO big shocker when that's what happens. Its sad but it is the truth.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM

And don’t get me wrong. I loved our Rottie. But never again. I’ll never forget when we were babysitting a friend’s toddler and the mom came to pick up the kid and Sasha would not let that woman take her child home. Rottweilers? Never again. Pit bulls?? Nope no thank you..
Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Almost any dog is capable of inflicting deathly damage to any person. This dog was kept in a chain link pen and most likely trained to guard. Any dog trained like this will attack when it seems fit. Please don't blame the breeds in cases where the owners (humans) trained the dogs to act this way. I'm glad the child survived and it's unfortunate that the owner didn't but it seems that this is how the dog was trained to act and react.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Almost any dog is capable of inflicting deathly damage to any person. This dog was kept in a chain link pen and most likely trained to guard. Any dog trained like this will attack when it seems fit. Please don't blame the breeds in cases where the owners (humans) trained the dogs to act this way. I'm glad the child survived and it's unfortunate that the owner didn't but it seems that this is how the dog was trained to act and react.
Those dogs have those traits within their lineage and genealogy to be aggressive. A lot of times they don’t need to be trained to bring that out of them. It can happen within seconds and out of the blue.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Those dogs have those traits within their lineage and genealogy to be aggressive. A lot of times they don’t need to be trained to bring that out of them. It can happen within seconds and out of the blue.
Well let's ban every dog that has teeth I guess. It would be fair
Old 09-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Can’t remember the last time a basset hound or cocker spaniel ripped apart someone. How about just the dogs with the bad track records?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Starting with the toy breeds... I honestly have to say the soap on a rope kinds are the worst for biting people... Who cares about size, their attitudes are generally poor and actions as well...

This debate will end like the assault weapons, personal opinion only.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Can’t remember the last time a basset hound or cocker spaniel ripped apart someone. How about just the dogs with the bad track records?
Or a chihuahua. Oh wait a minute... don't these smaller dogs attack way more frequently than the "big mean" breeds? But they're so small and cute so we will let it pass
Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I'd still be okay with banning all yippy dogs.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:24 PM

Take a minute and imagine what an attack by a dog would like to inflict enough damage to kill a person. People don't died from a single dog bite just like a deer doesn't die from a single cat bite. It is a prolonged and violent attack to cause a death of a human. Comparing that type of attack to receiving a single bite from any breed of dog is like comparing a "pea shooter" to a "firearm". They both set a projectile into motion, but the result is very different.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 09-17-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Or a chihuahua. Oh wait a minute... don't these smaller dogs attack way more frequently than the "big mean" breeds? But they're so small and cute so we will let it pass
You don’t get a pass if you can’t take on a chihuahua. Turn yer man card in. Now your being silly.. nice comparison though..
Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
You don’t get a pass if you can’t take on a chihuahua. Turn yer man card in. Now your being silly.. nice comparison though..
I'd love to take on a chihuahua. Years of built up annoyance would be taken out the little bugger
Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM

And it's not me its kids. Any one or two year old would get destroyed by a chihuahua
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Let's play 'guess who owns a Stupid dog' in this thread for $50.00, Alex!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Fully support a ban and extermination of these savage breeds.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
These dogs are bred to attack/be aggressive. Regardless of training, these characteristics can emerge. I didn't train my border collie to herd, but it was his instinct to do it.

Even if it simply came down to training, a poorly trained golden retriever will jump on you and eat the ice cream cone that you dropped on the ground. You can't say the same for a pitbull.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Only difference is a 4 lb dog doesn’t kill. It just annoys.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Take a minute and imagine what an attack by a dog would like to inflict enough damage to kill a person. People don't died from a single dog bite just like a deer doesn't die from a single cat bite. It is a prolonged and violent attack to cause a death of a human. Comparing that type of attack to receiving a single bite from any breed of dog is like comparing a "pea shooter" to a "firearm". They both set a projectile into motion, but the result is very different.
Exactly
Old 09-17-2018, 02:05 PM

More talk of banning things?

Banning pit bulls and all mixed breeds would be impossible and like handguns would still exist and do exist in cities where they are "banned"

Maybe a Pit tax would be a more Liberal way, say a $5K a dog with some approved safe kennel laws, muzzles etc. establish maximum size limit?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Surprising to see gun owners in favor of banning personal property......

Change breed to "assault rifle" see what I mean ?
I think the difference is that "assault rifles" owned legally arguably do not negatively impact public safety, while many dog attacks occur while the dog is in care of the dogs legal owner.

That being said, my personal experience with a pitbull was in a busy work environment with lots of public contact and the dog was a sweetheart, but I do not know enough about the breed to have much of an opinion apart from that.

Last edited by mattthegorby; 09-17-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/20...they-be-banned The CBC Fifth estate had an interesting documentary about Pitbulls last night, it was a rerun from last year but interesting to say the least.

My neighbor down the street has a pitbull , and when I walk by his yard that dog goes nuts, barking like crazy and frothing from its mouth.
I love dogs but hate Pitbulls, they are to intimidating.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Comparing a dog to an inanimate object is a ridiculous argument. It is like comparing a pet poisonous snake to a pencil. Guns and pencils don't kill on their own. Dogs and poisonous snakes do.