Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2023, 04:07 PM

Default Eskimo Ice suit vs Striker vs Frabil vs .....

Looking at retiring the old (8yrs of hard use) Frabill ice fishing suit. Replacing it leaves a guy with a few options. I hear wonderful things regarding Striker suits, but the price is quite high, has anyone put the new Eskimo brand of suits to the test? What about the new Frabill, the FXR, or whatever you have. I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:08 PM

I bought the Eskimo Keeper jacket and bibs off Amazon in Nov 2021. All in it was right around $520. Bibs have the adjustable inseam.

I ice fish usually 2 to 3 days a week and have never had an issue with the suit in terms of zippers etc. I cannot speak in depth on warmth of suit in -40C as if that cold I am staying home plus I fish out of a flip over shelter that is heated. Have wore the suit on my quad and snowmobile travelling to spots with no discomfort.

Thankfully have never had to rely on the flotation aspect of the suit but am confident it will work as advertised.

I would buy again in a heartbeat if and/or when this suit wears out.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:28 PM

Default Eskimo Ice suit vs Striker vs Frabil vs .....

My son uses the FXR stuff (great sale at Cabelas one year) and I use the Strikemaster. I also got my wife the Strikemaster suit as well. I like it. It doubles service when I plow my driveway on the tractor in winter too.

I’d suggest trying a bunch of them on and seeing where the pockets are and how it fits. They all seem to have a bit different cut and pockets in different spots.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-11-2023, 11:04 PM

I really like my Striker Hardwater jacket and bibs. There is lots of pockets for gear etc. It’s a little bulky but that’s expected for the warmth and flotation. I find I’m warm enough when not active, but if I’m towing the sled/ shelter, electronics, gear and auger 200 yards, I’m sweating pretty good when I get there. I lay down on the ice mid day for the occasional 20 min cat nap and am never cold. What was a pleasant surprise was the padded knees, that’s a nice creature comfort I wasn’t expecting, and now wouldn’t got without.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:07 AM

Thanks guys, how is the knee padding on the Eskimo bibs? Have you ever gotten wet kneeling in them, waterproof?
Old 09-12-2023, 03:14 PM

My Striker Hardwater bibs are arguably the best money I've ever spent in fishing. The little details show that it was clearly designed BY fishermen. The little fleece lined pockets for your hands, the cloth squares that button the front for wiping your hands off so you don't need a separate towel... just really great stuff.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaneeranger View Post
Thanks guys, how is the knee padding on the Eskimo bibs? Have you ever gotten wet kneeling in them, waterproof?
The knees are somewhat padded but definitely not volleyball knee pad padded! I have bad knees and the padding that is there is nice when kneeling down. Cannot recollect my knees ever getting wet.

Last edited by JohninAB; 09-12-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

We were in the same boat as your are last year. Went into various stores and tried on suits just for proper fit and function then dropped the cash on the strikerice climate. I am out three times a week ice fishing on average, skidoo ride is about 30 minutes to 60 minutes, prefer to sit outside and did last year many times in -20 with this suit on very comfortable. Going to use it this year for November hunts sitting in the tree stand too....only thing with this suit is it is very warm so move slow or take off the jacket cuz your will sweat up quickly.
God luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...