Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2023, 10:11 PM

Default Gap lake Kananaskis report

This lake has a reputation of being hard. Went there last week, no fish in sight during most of the day, and it was not possible to see anyway as the water was opaque with silt. Very little plants or predatory birds. Went on a kayak and saw some tiny brown trout by the railway, where it was deeper. Chatted with some people and no one had any luck. Around sunset, a lot of activity appeared all around the shore, no catch but there was definitly plenty of opportunity. If you live closer by, it can become an easier lake.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:51 PM

Is there still enough water to launch a boat? Spent many hours on that little lake and you are right it is one tough place to land fish. But perservance can pay off.

Have not been there in yrs now you go and tweak my interest, only about an hour from my place so there ya go I'll be heading out in the very near future.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:55 PM

Hard? Never used to be, at least for little trout and whites. Think the biggest i caught there was a 14in whitefish, never got skunked though. Figure it’s pretty much a nursery.

Mountain lakes require different flys than downstream rivers or ponds. Got my butt kicked a couple times until I figured it out.

That murky water is fantastic for not spooking pressured fish, but you can’t see your refusals. Just keep switching until you find what they want, they are certainly eating.