Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Honestly this is the most impressive thread I have seen having to do with religion on this site....slow clap for keeping this rolling without having it locked

LC
Do I hear an AMEN?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM

I just pop in every week or two to see who's winning. This thread seems to have taken a turn down loonie lane... as most threads eventually do. I'd say it had some impressive elements a few weeks ago... now, not so much.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Time for a revival of sorts.

Question asked on another forum, with no answer. Perhaps one of the faithful can answer it here.

Can someone explain the Holy Trinity to me?

I know there is only one god, and there are three persons in this one god. The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

So presumably, before the year one, there were only two. The Father and the Holy Ghost.
So what would that be called then? The Holy Duo? Did the Jews worship a Holy Duo?

But how can he be the Father, when he hasn't yet got a Son?

And What's the difference between the Father, who isn't a father, and the Holy Ghost?
Surely, they are BOTH holy ghosts? As neither are human, both are of the spirit world.
Not all Christians believe in a trinity
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default New life form

Well, just when the questions have run out on where we came from, and where the missing link is and discussions on what was there at any creation that may have occurred, scientists now have found a new life form that exists in only one lake in Norway.

Edmonton Journal article.

Scientific Abstract
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:

Question asked on another forum, with no answer. Perhaps one of the faithful can answer it here.

I know there is only one god, and there are three persons in this one god. The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

So presumably, before the year one, there were only two. The Father and the Holy Ghost.
So what would that be called then? The Holy Duo? Did the Jews worship a Holy Duo?
The Dynamic Dou.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Not all Christians believe in a trinity
Your kidding right? Pretty hard to call themselves a Christian who doesnt believe in the Trinity. Thats one of the fundamental beliefs of Christianity. Plus of course the death, burial and resurrection.
But then many believe they are Christians no matter what these days i guess. Some even think going to Church makes them a Christian,but they dont care or dont want to know what the Bible defines as a Christian. Strange. And basically the Word is all we got to base Christianity on.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Your kidding right? Pretty hard to call themselves a Christian who doesnt believe in the Trinity. Thats one of the fundamental beliefs of Christianity. Plus of course the death, burial and resurrection.
But then many believe they are Christians no matter what these days i guess. Some even think going to Church makes them a Christian,but they dont care or dont want to know what the Bible defines as a Christian. Strange. And basically the Word is all we got to base Christianity on.
Actually, he was right. Unless of course you are adamant that Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons, among others, are not Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrin...he_Holy_Spirit

The concept of a trinity existed in many religions, including Hinduism. It was endorsed and include in Christianity at the First Council of Nicea and promulgated through most sects after that.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Actually, he was right. Unless of course you are adamant that Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons, among others, are not Christian.

The concept of a trinity existed in many religions, including Hinduism. It was endorsed and include in Christianity at the First Council of Nicea and promulgated through most sects after that.

It was also endorsed by Jesus long before the Council of Nicea.
re: John 16 starting at verse 7 for the next few verses He made it pretty clear.

Last edited by cranky; 04-27-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

But how can he be the Father, when he hasn't yet got a Son?

And What's the difference between the Father, who isn't a father, and the Holy Ghost?
Surely, they are BOTH holy ghosts? As neither are human, both are of the spirit world.
The word "Trinity" is nowhere to be found in the Bible. However, the concept or an understanding that defines the term "Trinity" can be found expressed through the pages of God's word.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." - John 1:1-5

The following verse is referring to the manifestation of the Word (Jesus) becoming flesh:

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." - John 1:14. This verse alone indicates that the two are one of the same.

Jesus had His beginning before His manifestation in the flesh, as God would have likewise had His beginning as He always was:

"And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." - John 17:5

"who has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel."
2 Timothy 1:9-10

God has commanded that He alone was to be worship:

"And God spoke all these words, saying: I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself a carved image —any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me." - Exodus 20:1-5

More specifically, Jesus knew that only God was to be worshiped:

"Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me. Then Jesus said to him, Away with you, Satan! For it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve." - Matthew 4:8-10

The question then arises Why Jesus never admonish anyone when they worshipped Him? Even God commanded the angels to worship Jesus:

"And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, Let all Gods angels worship him. - Hebrews 1:6

And Jesus allowed himself to be worshipped; whereas the apostles and followers did not allow this. Who worshipped Jesus?

Answer: The Angels (Hebrew 1:6), Disciples (Matthew 14:33, 28:9, 28:17; and Luke 24:52), Wise men (Matthew 2:2, and 2:11), Leper (Matthew 8:2), Ruler (Matthew 9:18), Woman of Canaan (Matthew 15:25), Mother of Zebedee's children (Matthew 20:20), and Blind man (John 9:38)

Whereas the disciples did not allow themselves to be worshipped in any manner, covered in greater detail at this site:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/worship.htm

Why would Jesus allow Himself to be worshiped if He was not God?
Answer: He wouldn't, they are one of the same.

Why a Father and a Son?
Answer: God has always had Sons:

"Now then, my sons, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. - Proverbs 8:32

"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." - Galatians 3:26-28

However Jesus was his only begotten or one and only Son born of a virgin birth; born of God. "The word became flesh."

So why would God come as a Son? In order to understand this we will look at the Modelling Principle as understood in Psychology:

Modeling Principle: To teach a child new ways of behaving, allow him to observe a prestigeful person performing the desired behavior.

If God was to model as the Father, the example to the Sons of God would then be how they should walk as a Father. However, there can only be one Father in a family; likewise there can only be one head in a family who is God:

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." - Ephesians 5:22-24

Therefore God walked as a Son, so that all the sons of God might learn to walk as He did.

So where does the Holy Ghost fit in? Well if we go to Genesis you will see that man is made in the image of God:

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." - Genesis 1:27

We were made this way so that we might understand things about the spiritual realm, the things we cannot see:

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened." - Romans 1:20-21

If we take a look at our image we will see that there are two major components, a head and a body. The head sends signals or messages to the body and the body responds. In other words the head controls the body. This is accomplished through the nervous system similar to an electric like conduction system, although it uses potassium and sodium ion to convey the message through a series of neurons. The Holy Ghost would be the like that conduction system in the spiritual realm of things, which conveys the signal (message) from the head (Christ) to the body (Church or believers). The message that travels the conduction system is not separate from the head in which it originates, although it goes out from the head.

They are all connected: Head, Spirit, and Son; three in one.

God is Spirit (although He manifested Himself in the flesh in Christ) and His worshipers must worship Him in Spirit. It is the Holy Ghost that connects the worshiper to God (another three way connection):

"But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." - John 4:23-24.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 AM

What is truth?

Do you believe there is absolute truth or perhaps it's all relative??

I don't want dictionary or wiki version...I want your version please
Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 AM

All relative, no need to explain because it would be relative...

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 AM

Hey, avb3, have you seen this yet??

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3971214/b...ylist_id=87249
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

No offence but...Mormonism is by definition a cult and despite claims to the contrary...barely resembles Christianity in many many ways.
They left their Protestant roots behind and went off on their own in the 1800's.

But as stated before...not all Christians believe in the holly trinity....they're usually called Protestants.

When the Protestant Reform occured...along with a number of other Roman Church ideals.... the trinity was rejected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmum View Post
Hey, avb3, have you seen this yet??

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3971214/b...ylist_id=87249
Nope, hadn't seen it. So you have no problem with the dating of the material? That often seems to be a bone of contention, and this would show the earth being much older then the fundamentalist insistence on 6000 years.

Also, no great surprise that there are similarities with what the saying on the sample read and those in the OT. After all, the area (ME) is rife with similar stories, such as Gilgamesh and Noah, Virgin Mary/Christ and Isis/Horus etc.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
No offence but...Mormonism is by definition a cult and despite claims to the contrary...barely resembles Christianity in many many ways.
They left their Protestant roots behind and went off on their own in the 1800's.
Why are Mormons by definition a cult any more than Southern Baptists, Coptics or the Greek Orthodox?

Quote:
But as stated before...not all Christians believe in the holly trinity....they're usually called Protestants.

When the Protestant Reform occured...along with a number of other Roman Church ideals.... the trinity was rejected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
I think you understood that concept wrong. Martin Luther (the father of Protestantism) very much believed in the trinity, as to most Christian sects, and especially the fundamentalist ones.

The link to wikipedia does not refute that at all; it just states there are some sects that call themselves Christian who do. Most evangelicals and fundamentalists would argue that the concept of the Trinity is key to being a Christian.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 AM

As the new thread gains a little traction, I thought this deserved a bump and a little new fodder from some guy who apparently believes that we gain information and complexity by sheer accident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxG4Kji-u28
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
As the new thread gains a little traction, I thought this deserved a bump and a little new fodder from some guy who apparently believes that we gain information and complexity by sheer accident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxG4Kji-u28
And here is Dawkin's view of that interview.

Among other things, he states:
My generosity (in granting the interview) was rewarded in a fashion that anyone familiar with fundamentalist tactics might have predicted. When I eventually saw the film a year later 1, I found that it had been edited to give the false impression that I was incapable of answering the question about information content 2. In fairness, this may not have been quite as intentionally deceitful as it sounds. You have to understand that these people really believe that their question cannot be answered! Pathetic as it sounds, their entire journey from Australia seems to have been a quest to film an evolutionist failing to answer it.

Tactical Lever, thanks for telling us the full truth, the complete truth, and nothing but the truth.

Or maybe you did, from your point of view.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
And here is Dawkin's view of that interview.

Among other things, he states:
My generosity (in granting the interview) was rewarded in a fashion that anyone familiar with fundamentalist tactics might have predicted. When I eventually saw the film a year later 1, I found that it had been edited to give the false impression that I was incapable of answering the question about information content 2. In fairness, this may not have been quite as intentionally deceitful as it sounds. You have to understand that these people really believe that their question cannot be answered! Pathetic as it sounds, their entire journey from Australia seems to have been a quest to film an evolutionist failing to answer it.

Tactical Lever, thanks for telling us the full truth, the complete truth, and nothing but the truth.

Or maybe you did, from your point of view.
I think the 10 second pause, which looks pretty unedited to me says it all. It's a pretty straightforward question, which he claims (by his other speeches) should be easy to answer.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Default not an evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmum View Post
So I just find it interesting that you've pointed me in the direction of wikipedia twice now. Wikipedia is written by man, but then again, so was the bible

You are quick to point out that it is a Christian evangelist, but did YOU actually listen to what he's saying here?? Please don't discredit what he is saying until you actually hear what he says.
Ravi is not an Evangelist, he is an Apologist. There is a difference.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Default tin foil hat- feel free to put it on

How about this world view ?

www.lloydpye.com
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Default Are you waking up ?

Or ...... www.divinecosmos.com http://divinecosmos.com/start-here/d...y-video-part-1

Breath it in deeply friends
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM

Default United

What would happen if we all truly "rowed" in the same direction ?

www.globaloneness2013.org
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 PM

..ooops :}

Last edited by cover; 10-15-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
..ooops :}
love.. compassion.. appreciation .. are they still incuded in the dictionary ?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 AM

*cough*....