Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Default Either sex elk Camp Wainwright

I drew this tag this year, I’m quite familiar with the community pasture that surrounds the base on the north and east boundaries of the base, as my family farm is close by ribstone lake. I however have never hunted on base or have ever been on the base since I was just a kid.

My question is concerning the style of hunting on the base. Is it mostly truck hunters, or are there areas which we can actually hike and hunt ethically?

I hunted the Suffield elk cull a few years ago and it was one of the worst display of hunting ethics I’ve witnessed in my life. (Maybe I shouldn’t post that, but that’s my concern) What kind of hunt should I prepare for.

Also, is this realistically a hunt my girlfriend and I can bring our 4 year old son on? If it’s a truck hunt then I suppose I know the answer to that. If it’s spot and stalk then perhaps we can tag him along- mind the snow isn’t waist deep for the little guy haha!

Thanks folks, any input on what to expect from hunting on base this December will be appreciated!

We Hope your seasons are full of adventure and making memories with those close to your hearts.

BG
Old 08-29-2018, 10:26 AM

You can get out and walk, for elk you probably will have to do that, a big thing is talking to deer hunters to find out where they are. They will probably be in a couple herds and if you don’t find out where they are all the walking in the world won’t help you. There’s a lot more Bush and fewer roads than Suffield.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Banned

the search function would have answered all these questions 1000 times.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
the search function would have answered all these questions 1000 times.
Not one for making new conversation I take it... thanks for your advice
Old 08-29-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
You can get out and walk, for elk you probably will have to do that, a big thing is talking to deer hunters to find out where they are. They will probably be in a couple herds and if you don’t find out where they are all the walking in the world won’t help you. There’s a lot more Bush and fewer roads than Suffield.
Thank you for this, usually I try to keep to myself but I suppose asking for some direction can’t hurt.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Thank you for this, usually I try to keep to myself but I suppose asking for some direction can’t hurt.
Its almost going to be your best plan of attack in that hunt I'd suggest. Keeping in touch with several groups can lead to putting together the info to find out where the herds are moving to and from. Its a good hunt for that.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM

FYI.. some truck hunters do hunt etcihally also.. good luck with you elk draw.

Jim...
Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 AM

Careful walking we had a couple shots ringing at animals behind us and infront of us. I won't return to that place.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:14 PM

So, a truck hunt is unethical, but if that's what it is you'll do it anyway.
That's a pretty convenient ethical code you live by.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:51 PM

Well that didn’t take long to fire up the keyboard critics huh lmao
Old 08-29-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
FYI.. some truck hunters do hunt etcihally also.. good luck with you elk draw.

Jim...
I’m not saying scouting from a vehicle is unethical. But please let us all know if you’re the shoot off the mirror or over the hood type of truck hunter
Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Careful walking we had a couple shots ringing at animals behind us and infront of us. I won't return to that place.
This is what my concern is, especially with a 4 year old in tow. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:04 PM

East Annex along the fire guard, find where their crossing, see if it's fresh. Hunt there. Also see them just inside the west portion along highway 41. Again, have to find their trails.

One of the best things is networking the other hunters. Give out your cell # and offer to give intel on what the other parties are chasing and where you seen them.

The elk come and go but we have seen them in there. Good Luck.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
East Annex along the fire guard, find where their crossing, see if it's fresh. Hunt there. Also see them just inside the west portion along highway 41. Again, have to find their trails.

One of the best things is networking the other hunters. Give out your cell # and offer to give intel on what the other parties are chasing and where you seen them.

Awesome! Thank you
Old 08-29-2018, 03:41 PM

West side south boundary fence - east past the jog that goes to the Hardsity gate. There are always a couple of high traffic crossing areas. Might be worth taking a look to see if you could set up a blind, sit and watch the fire guard. Guys hunting in the lower west side get them moving around and they head out.

Also - infrequent -- West side towards the north side -- guys have glassed them from the high river bank and then gone around to stalk. Elk in this area I think are pushed in from outside and are not part of the resident herd.

Also there are quite a few sightings with elk crossing in the horseshoe (bend) road area - yellow south end by horseshoe

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 08-29-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

This is great info. Also talk to the wildlife biologists and the CO's at the morning orientation. There are also maps with all recorded kill locations from that years hunts and years past. The biologists along with the maps will tell the story of where the elk typically are.

Success rates for elk on the base can be low. Just kind of depends whether they're on the base or on the surrounding private land.

Personally I wouldn't take a 4 year old on this hunt. I've never felt unsafe during the 4 or 5 times I've been to Wainwright. The hunters are way more spread out than at suffield because the game isn't concentrated in just a few herds like at suffield because most hunters are there for the deer. The reason I wouldn't bring a 4 year old is the hunt is in December so weather can be rough. Also the kid would need to attend morning orientation every day which means very early rise times for the little one and by the time you go to orientation/check in and then actually drive out to start hunting you've spent a few hours already and it would wear on a toddler before you even actually get to start hunting. Those that are typically successful put in quite a few miles on the boots which might be to much for a youngster. You could bring your kid and all the power to you if you do, but personally I wouldn't at that age.

PM a member on AO that goes by shedcrazy for more info about where to target the elk. I believe he is a biologist on the hunts and can probably give you better advise than many.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:19 PM

See some SW corner. Bachelor group of raghorns.

Any 350” or bigger bulls? The pics I’ve seen are always small bulls.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 PM

First thing to do is check with the base and make sure they will allow you to bring your boy along. It is heavy tree's for sure lot's of roads, they will give you nice maps of the road ways but you will need to do some walking. Like already said if the deer hunters have seen the elk that would sure make your hunt a bit easier but still gonna be a chore if you are lucky enought to get an elk. As to bull or cow I don't know the answer but if it is like deer it may well be your choice.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
This is great info. Also talk to the wildlife biologists and the CO's at the morning orientation. There are also maps with all recorded kill locations from that years hunts and years past. The biologists along with the maps will tell the story of where the elk typically are.

Success rates for elk on the base can be low. Just kind of depends whether they're on the base or on the surrounding private land.

Personally I wouldn't take a 4 year old on this hunt. I've never felt unsafe during the 4 or 5 times I've been to Wainwright. The hunters are way more spread out than at suffield because the game isn't concentrated in just a few herds like at suffield because most hunters are there for the deer. The reason I wouldn't bring a 4 year old is the hunt is in December so weather can be rough. Also the kid would need to attend morning orientation every day which means very early rise times for the little one and by the time you go to orientation/check in and then actually drive out to start hunting you've spent a few hours already and it would wear on a toddler before you even actually get to start hunting. Those that are typically successful put in quite a few miles on the boots which might be to much for a youngster. You could bring your kid and all the power to you if you do, but personally I wouldn't at that age.

PM a member on AO that goes by shedcrazy for more info about where to target the elk. I believe he is a biologist on the hunts and can probably give you better advise than many.
Wow thanks for this reply. We will definately look at maps of previous years and hopefully talk to the Co’s And Biologists. That is something I wouldn’t have thought to do- ask the professionals haha.

Our little guy has been hunting and fishing with us since he was born and he is tough as nails. But, if it’s going to be 2-3 hours just to get out to the hunting spots in the mornings, you’re absolutely right that would take a toll on any toddler. We have decided to not take our little guy on this hunt for these reasons and also because it’s our first time on base. We will probably apply for seasons on base in the future as we can stay with family close by, and in the years to come he can join us then.

I will For sure get ahold of shedcrazy! Thanks again for your time and advice.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
First thing to do is check with the base and make sure they will allow you to bring your boy along. It is heavy tree's for sure lot's of roads, they will give you nice maps of the road ways but you will need to do some walking. Like already said if the deer hunters have seen the elk that would sure make your hunt a bit easier but still gonna be a chore if you are lucky enought to get an elk. As to bull or cow I don't know the answer but if it is like deer it may well be your choice.

Good luck with your hunt.
Thanks a lot, we aren’t expecting a trophy book bull and by no means will we pass on a big cow if given the chance to fill our tag and freezer from this first time hunt for us.

That said, I will be happy to exchange contact information with anyone who has drawn tags to hunt this year, and we can help one another out. I’m happy to see this thread has gone in a positive direction so far, this instills some faith in fellow outdoorsmen/outdooswomen for me. Usually I stay quiet on the forum, as we’ve all witnessed the flack that usually comes with threads like this one.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Banned

Seen some by the north end of the battle river ravine last year
Old 08-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Elk

In the Annex off the fire guard road. Take a short walk to the tallest hill and start glassing. I had a 12 dozen in there last year with 2 respectable bulls. I told a few trucks about them and the 1 guy connected. There was also 5-7 moose within 500 meters of the herd.

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
In the Annex off the fire guard road. Take a short walk to the tallest hill and start glassing. I had a 12 dozen in there last year with 2 respectable bulls. I told a few trucks about them and the 1 guy connected. There was also 5-7 moose within 500 meters of the herd.

Good Luck
Thank you for this advice. It’s much appreciated, and I especially appreciate how I didn’t ask whatsoever for where to find elk or anything like that. It’s nice to see some genuine people exist in this forum. The annex is where we will be hanging out. We will prob try burn some boot leather on the community pasture before the season opens and see where elk are moving on/off base.

Hope you have a great season too. Cheers
Old 08-30-2018, 06:25 PM

I believe I have the answers you need. As stated before west is what you want. PM me and I can put you on some good bulls or a cow, they will only be three miles apart, so pick your poison.

Annex is big and boring, you want candy. Hahaha.

If you dont PM me I wish you the best of luck, and best of all, have fun with the kiddo.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 PM

Default elk on the base

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
I drew this tag this year, I’m quite familiar with the community pasture that surrounds the base on the north and east boundaries of the base, as my family farm is close by ribstone lake. I however have never hunted on base or have ever been on the base since I was just a kid.

My question is concerning the style of hunting on the base. Is it mostly truck hunters, or are there areas which we can actually hike and hunt ethically?

I hunted the Suffield elk cull a few years ago and it was one of the worst display of hunting ethics I’ve witnessed in my life. (Maybe I shouldn’t post that, but that’s my concern) What kind of hunt should I prepare for.

Also, is this realistically a hunt my girlfriend and I can bring our 4 year old son on? If it’s a truck hunt then I suppose I know the answer to that. If it’s spot and stalk then perhaps we can tag him along- mind the snow isn’t waist deep for the little guy haha!

Thanks folks, any input on what to expect from hunting on base this December will be appreciated!

We Hope your seasons are full of adventure and making memories with those close to your hearts.

BG
was in there 2 years ago for elk make to the east side of the hiway scout circle road from the north to the south on the west side of circle road took us 4 days to find them there good luck!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

Good Luck
oops, sorry to get your hopes up too high, not 12 dozen!!!!! I saw 12.... must have been thinking dozen and typed that as well. There was no herd of 144 Elk that I saw. Haha

Tags
archery, camp, elk, rifle, wainwright