Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Default leupold rifleman?

Been thinking about a Leupold rifleman 4X12-40mm, Was wondering if anyone has this scope and could shed some light on it and tell me if it's worth the purchase or not, I shot a rifle yesterday that had one on it and it seemed like a good scope, just double checking before i go ahead and make the purchase. The rifle it will be used on is a CIL 950c in .308 bolt.

Thanks
-Devon.
-CIL bolt action .308
-Savage model 69E Canadian Sportsmans Edition 12GA Pump.

-Devon
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM

It's just my opinion, but I see the Rifleman as the equivalent of the Remington 710/770. It's just a low priced scope wearing the Leupold name.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM

I'm sure the scope will work but for the quality it's probably overpriced just cause of the name ..... I'm a Leupold guy and dress my rifles with VX3's but if your looking for a scope within a price I would expect you could get more if you looked at another brand ( Nikon, vortex, or bushnell)

Good luck
Mike
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Banned

how much does the rifleman cost where you are? i see it on cabelas for 300 for the 3-9x, thats a rip off go with this instead

http://www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_Vi...opt-000053.htm
you can get the bdc reticle or a regular one
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Just my opinion, but i see the Rilfleman like your average Rem 700, Win 70.
Good glass for the price, oh, and yes i own one. That makes it a valid opinion?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I'm sure the scope will work but for the quality it's probably overpriced just cause of the name ..... I'm a Leupold guy and dress my rifles with VX3's but if your looking for a scope within a price I would expect you could get more if you looked at another brand ( Nikon, vortex, or bushnell)

Good luck
Mike
Agree with Mike here. You are just paying for the name. You can get a good scope for less than that. IMO, while Leupold puts out a good product, the competition is putting out good glass for less. Leupold has been riding on it's name with no real need to innovate. Over priced compared to some of the other good quality products out there today in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM

I never understand how so many people like Bushnell. I have owned several of their products over many years and consider every one of them to be a poor investment even though I spent a lot on some. As far as I'm concerned the rifleman is a decent scope for the price and way above bushnell. However I don't particularly like the circle on the cross hair. Each & to their own though.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Unlike what elkhunter11 states, I don't know that I'd group any Leupold product with the garbage 710/770 comparison. Yes, it is an economy scope no doubt. Not everyone has the coin that elk and others can drop on optics. As far as the ring around the crosshair is concerned, I've seen that same ring on the Redfield scope. I'm not one for busy reticles, I like a fine crosshair with a dot, that's it. But, I must admit while sighting in the Redfield, I found that the circle made for a quick and dirty acquisition to the general intended POI. Surely, the Rifleman is intended as an economical entry level scope, given the Leupold warranty, I'd pick that over any of the stuff they mount to the package deals.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM

I have a rifleman 3-9x40 on my 270, and a vx3 on my 300 mag. The big difference is really only noticeable in the twilight situations. Yes, by no means is it a super crisp image. But it definitely is worth the money, and a lifetime warranty too.
I've had mine for a few years now and it has taken a beating and is still holding zero!

-Mad
Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Hey guys, I would like to add to this discussion.

I own a rifleman 3-9x40 and I think it's a good scope for the money.

However, the dials used to adjust windage and elevation are not waterproof, just the caps that fit over them are. I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not.

I have hunted with this scope on my 7mm08 for six years and I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Surely, the Rifleman is intended as an economical entry level scope, given the Leupold warranty, I'd pick that over any of the stuff they mount to the package deals.
I will certainly agree with that, but then again, package scopes usually add much less than $100 to the price of the rifle alone, whereas a 3-9x40 Rifleman sells for up to $300.
In my opinion, that $300 contains about $100 that you are paying for the Leupold name and warranty.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Banned

Most agreeable with your response elk. The OP isn't looking at the Rifleman as an add-on. And he was to pay more that $100.00 for it, I'd tell him to back off. But, a $100.00 Leupold still has more value than a likewise priced Simmons, NcStar, Bushnell. BSA or what have you. The best advise I could offer to a fellow that has budget restrictions is to learn product knowledge and perhaps pick up a good quality scope with experience at a gun show. Case in point is that I picked up a Leupold VXII 3-9x40mm with the target crosshair and reticle and the target elevation turret at a gun show for $200.00. Not a mark on it. That scope is mounted on my 'yote gun. A steal when you think of the added options of both the turret and the crosshair mods are a $150.00 option, on top of the scope price. And, the lifetime warranty is applicable, even without a sales receipt. Hey, when I saw that scope, I couldn't wait to get the cash outta my pocket before someone else was smart enough to jump on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM

I just noticed that the 4-12x40 Rifleman is selling at Cabelas for $359.99. For that price, I would either go for a used better quality scope, or one of the Elite 3200 or 4200 scopes at the closeout prices that many dealers are currently offering.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM

I have a Rifleman on my 270. Have had it for 5? Years. It has treated me well. That said I think it was a fair bit cheaper then today's prices. If I was looking today I would be more inclined to look used, I bought a VXII off a member here for 275 I really like that scope.

If I was looking new, for the money of a Rifleman I'd be looking at Vortex first.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM

redfield is another option for simular quality without paying that little extra for a name, and it is built by leupold. I like my leupolds but they are higher end for the lower price range I am a huge fan of bushnell's elite line best to go look through all the ones in your price range and get what looks best to your eye not every piece of glass will look as good from one person to another.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 PM

for the price go vortex been awesome have 3 now and all take the abuse and held zero i have a rifleman as well big difference looking threw both vortex way better viewing
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Smile scope

all new i think a big rugged scope built in winnipeg 450.00 any one else seem them?

Tags
308, leupold, scope