Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM

Default Calgary Area September 5th-6th

I will be in the Calgary area this weekend and am looking for some good places to go fly fishing besides the Bow. I am kinda looking for a medium sized river but something not too challenging as I will be taking my girlfriend with me, who is extremely new to the sport.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:38 PM

If you have time while you are in Calgary, The BBQ on the Bow is on at the Eau Caire Festival Plaza. Starts Saturday noon , ends Sunday at 5 PM.
Pitmaster from Canada and USA are competing. The entrance is free. You can visit with some of the top pitmasters. The Rib world champ will be smoking as well. Nice to see smokers all set up and the serious side of BBQ ing.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
If you have time while you are in Calgary, The BBQ on the Bow is on at the Eau Caire Festival Plaza. Starts Saturday noon , ends Sunday at 5 PM.
Pitmaster from Canada and USA are competing. The entrance is free. You can visit with some of the top pitmasters. The Rib world champ will be smoking as well. Nice to see smokers all set up and the serious side of BBQ ing.
What the hell does that have to do with the OP's question?

Sastrand, try the Elbow upstream of Hwy 22. Some really nice fish in that stretch. C&R.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-03-2015, 11:27 PM

Make sure you read the regs within this section as there are some sections that are closed to fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
What the hell does that have to do with the OP's question?

Sastrand, try the Elbow upstream of Hwy 22. Some really nice fish in that stretch. C&R.

-Confucius
Old 09-03-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Make sure you read the regs within this section as there are some sections that are closed to fishing!
That is true. Immediately (within 5 km) upstream from 22 is what I had meant. No closed portions in that stretch.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Upper highwood's good too, again, check the regs. Lots of access and lots of cutthroats, bulls are starting to spawn so maybe don't bother them.

There's also the sheep, hit or miss fishery but you can usually get into some kind of action.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire

Tags
calgary area, fly fishing