Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Default Goose jerky recipes needed ?

Been blessed this year and have some goose in the freezer so I'm looking for any interesting goose jerky recipes that anyone uses. I've used the store bought mixes with succes so I'm looking for something unique and tasty ! Thanks . Thanks chewy
Old 10-15-2016, 02:23 PM

Are you looking to make jerky? Or some ground-up abomination some people call jerky?

2-4 goose breasts (1-2 birds)
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 Worchestershire sauce
Spices you like:
Chilli flakes - 1-2 tbsp
Powdered (or ground) onion 1-2 tsp
Fresh or powdered garlic
Coriander 1-2 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tbsp
Etc.

Better off simple (less variety) spice IMO.

Slice breasts with the grain for younger birds, diagonal to the grain for older or unknown.

Put in big ziplock with marinade, mix well (get your clean hand in there and make sure), squeeze out the air, seal, and thrown in the fridge for 12-24hrs.

Remove from bag and let drain in a colander for a bit. Then lay between sheets of paper towel and press a bit to dry; this takes a bit and uses a bunch of paper towel, but it speeds drying time a lot. Then put in dehydrator until dry - and I mean DRY. This is not like commercially preserved jerky or those disgusting ground meat sticks. Removing the moisture from the meat, and the salt from the soy sauce is what is preserving it.

If you are going to keep it any length of time (> a couple weeks) keep it in the fridge. If it goes faster than you can make it, it is just fine in a jar. If it is at all soft you MUST keep it in the fridge.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM

I highly recommend adding some cure to the recipe.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:53 PM

I only make the whole meat jerky and i don't classify the burger type as jerky.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM

I use the Hi Mountain kits, slice the breasts on a meat slicer(semi frozen)
Follow the directions, smoke at 200F, never had a bad bunch, my favourite is original with garlic powder and a bit of black pepper thrown in.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-16-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
I only make the whole meat jerky and i don't classify the burger type as jerky.
Find some cure. There's lots of recipes online. However I find Korean barbeque sauce that's typically used for short ribs is a great marinade. For whole muscle meet of course. Marinade for 24 hours with the cure and dehydrate it to your desired moisture. Makes great good jerky
Old 10-20-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Are you looking to make jerky? Or some ground-up abomination some people call jerky?

2-4 goose breasts (1-2 birds)
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 Worchestershire sauce
Spices you like:
Chilli flakes - 1-2 tbsp
Powdered (or ground) onion 1-2 tsp
Fresh or powdered garlic
Coriander 1-2 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tbsp
Etc.

Better off simple (less variety) spice IMO.

Slice breasts with the grain for younger birds, diagonal to the grain for older or unknown.

Put in big ziplock with marinade, mix well (get your clean hand in there and make sure), squeeze out the air, seal, and thrown in the fridge for 12-24hrs.

Remove from bag and let drain in a colander for a bit. Then lay between sheets of paper towel and press a bit to dry; this takes a bit and uses a bunch of paper towel, but it speeds drying time a lot. Then put in dehydrator until dry - and I mean DRY. This is not like commercially preserved jerky or those disgusting ground meat sticks. Removing the moisture from the meat, and the salt from the soy sauce is what is preserving it.

If you are going to keep it any length of time (> a couple weeks) keep it in the fridge. If it goes faster than you can make it, it is just fine in a jar. If it is at all soft you MUST keep it in the fridge.
will have to try this one thanks