Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Default homemade archery target

any ideas or thoughts on how to make a homemade archery target?
thx
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Try this. collect as many plastig bags to fill a small room and stuff them into a burlap bag or large box. Either sew up the bag with twine or wrap the box in tape. You can also layer in old towels for more stopping power. Note the tape from the box method will leave a residue on your arrows.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Hey the best target I've built is a burlap sack filled with any kind of plastic. Wether it be walmart bags, garbage bags or even old poly. But you take the bags stuff it in the sack and I mean stuff it good then cut a piece of plywood for the opening of the sack. After you put the plywood in take a heavy duty stapler and staple the burlap to the plywood. After that is done turn it upside down on the plywood and tada a target that will last for years. The target I built is going on 12 years now. Good luck and shoot strait
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM

I use shrink wrap from work and stuff it in a large box. I replace the box once it is shot out. This target is only good for field points.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

I make mine out of burlap bags stuffed with plastic as well. The ones that you get at Peavy mart are better quality and much cheaper than the ones you buy at archery shops with animals printed on them. I buy about ten of them and then fill a couple with plastic bags that I steal from the recycle depot and stitch them closed with wire. When they start getting shot out I just slide another burlap bag over top and stuff in a few more plastic bags, way easyer than starting over.

One thing I often overlook that you need to do is build a frame to suspend it from. I used to lean mine against my shed but now my shed has lots of holes in it from arrows poking through the target. Its harder on your arrows too.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Default home made targets

I've made some using a plywood frame, nail an old piece of carpet on one side, then stuff it full of old rags, blankets etc. Nail a top piece of carpet on it and away you go. Mine work great!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 PM

many many cardboard boxes strapped together. Not portable, very heavy but works good for a stationary target in my box yard.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 AM

old jeans or coverals in a burlap sack work pretty slick also i use a straw bale one year
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM

We have an old futon bed with all the batting in it. I was justing wondering if that would be good for a target stuffed in a berlap bag. any coments would be good, I dont want to rip it apart and be left with a mess.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky the bear View Post
We have an old futon bed with all the batting in it. I was justing wondering if that would be good for a target stuffed in a berlap bag. any coments would be good, I dont want to rip it apart and be left with a mess.
I think that would work. I would go to the dump, rip the futon open there and then build your target.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM

if you have a tank fab shop near by, go down there and ask them if they can spray a 2x3 ft box with spray foam!!
it is portable and you can shoot feild points and broadheads into it
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 PM

Default truckload of fine sand

I have a sand pile and I cant wear it out also i practice with my broad heads its gentle on arrows too. stir it up and wet it down a little...chain
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM

I just fold a piece of cardboard 4 or 5 times over itself and that works fine, takes 3 seconds too!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Stuffing burlap bags with plastic bags, old clothing, sand...

Folding/layering boxes then compressing them together.

Some guys have used used cans of expanding foam inside of wooden box moulds (simply unscrewing box) and removing block of foam. I have seen DIY 3D targets made this way.

You can also hop over to Archery Talk and look into the DIY section and browse through, tonnes of guys have made their own targets.