Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
brook trout

Default trout spin rod combo

hey guys just need some help here but im thinking of buying one of those spin rod combos that comes with a tackle box and assorted lures for trout at walmart. you can get the same combos except there ment for pike or walleye or other species. i cant find this combo on the internet at all so i was wondering does any one no what the price is and if possible what kind of lures it contains? advice and any help is muchly appreciated. want to buy this cause after getting skunked at chickakoo i think i need to try some different tecniques. (bobber and worm, flies under a bobber) i stink at fly fishing.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

I recomend not buying those. I have one I keep in my quad and its pretty cheap. The tackle is not great either, other than some #6 hooks there is nothing else in the kit that I would think of using for trout. If the rod is specificaly for trout get a light action, with barbless hooks I find I loose fewer fish if they can get a good bend in the rod to help me keep the line tight. As for hooks there are lots of great suggestions in other threads.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Suspended User

Walmart and crappy tire rods will leave you with a bad taste. Very low quality, and not a long life rod. Spend about $75 on a rod/real combo and you will get some good use.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brook trout View Post
hey guys just need some help here but im thinking of buying one of those spin rod combos that comes with a tackle box and assorted lures for trout at walmart. you can get the same combos except there ment for pike or walleye or other species. i cant find this combo on the internet at all so i was wondering does any one no what the price is and if possible what kind of lures it contains? advice and any help is muchly appreciated. want to buy this cause after getting skunked at chickakoo i think i need to try some different tecniques. (bobber and worm, flies under a bobber) i stink at fly fishing.

Hell man, when I was a kid I used to fish with a "Tree Branch, Old fishing line and found hooks" (I swear on my Kids heads that this is true...) Although it was EASY to catch fish where I lived as a kid, you can basically do the same here....

Having said that, if you can afford a fly rod, you can likely afford a decent spinning reel and rod. You may want to look at a 'Pfleuger' or 'Shimano' rod and reel combo, along with tackle @ Canadian Tire or perhaps The Fishin' Hole. You can also buy them pretty inexpensively at "Army and Navy". Those places often have pretty good sales on their tackle as well. Walmart can also be a GREAT place to find tackle and rods that the store want's to move in order to make room for new merchandise.

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 AM

If you don't really need all the hooks that come with the combo (and it sounds like most of what's in there isn't worthwhile anyway) then as poster above me suggested, you should maybe just look at a rod and reel combo, and then pick yourself out some individual lures.

About a month ago I picked up a decent Shimano rod and reel that was on sale for about $50 (regular price was about $80 IIRC) and it's actually pretty decent for the price. Now I just need to get out more and get some fish on the thing!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

You dont realy need to spend that much either. For around 30 bucks you could get somthing that would catch you fish for a few years. Not all cheap combos are made equal though. I have not had good luck with low end quantam or zebco reels. Shimanos seem to be pretty good for the price. Sure spending 50- 100 bucks on a rod and reel is better but If your without a rod right now and on a tight budget the main thing is to start fishing, the experience is way more important than what equipment you own.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
brook trout

well the one i was getting came with bobbers and all sorts of stuff pretty good deal for me.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 PM

Wholesale sports! you can buy a pretty good quality ultra light Berkley, Quantum, Fenwick, or whatever for around $30. Then an ultra light reel pretty much anything they have at wholesale for reels are decent quality i would buy a Quantum or Shimano myself and they aren't much either I have a Shimano Sahara 750FB and i think i payed $60. Not the best but an awsome! reel.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
well the one i was getting came with bobbers and all sorts of stuff pretty good deal for me.
If you took a look at what's included and it seems like it'll be useful for you and your situation, then go for it.

Like somebody else posted, it's not so much about the gear you have, but rather the experiences you get from getting out there and giving it a shot.

I'm just getting back into fishing, and all I have is an inexpensive rod/reel combo and a handful of random hooks I'm slowly acquiring, and that's enough to keep me happy for now We've all gotta start (or re-start) somewhere!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
brook trout

went to canadian tire and got a smokin hot deal on a rod and reel and line. there was this nice rod came with a reel and line and had a cork handle (love cork handles) and was 34 bucks but they had it on sale fooooor......... 9.95$!!!!!!!!!!! awesome deal! got a slip bobber (pink) marshmellow cluster berkely trout dough (yum) and some excitment for the next time i go fishing!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
went to canadian tire and got a smokin hot deal on a rod and reel and line. there was this nice rod came with a reel and line and had a cork handle (love cork handles) and was 34 bucks but they had it on sale fooooor......... 9.95$!!!!!!!!!!! awesome deal! got a slip bobber (pink) marshmellow cluster berkely trout dough (yum) and some excitment for the next time i go fishing!
What brand and which CT? Be nice to pick up a cheapie backup rod set.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a sweet deal! What rod/reel?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Just bringing this back to the top...I'm still curious about this rod/reel combo!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 PM

Anyone ever try SPIDER STINGER SPINCAST REEL
by: BERKLEY? The fishing hole got them.Was thinkin about getting one...
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglejake View Post
Anyone ever try SPIDER STINGER SPINCAST REEL
by: BERKLEY? The fishing hole got them.Was thinkin about getting one...
I don't know about that particular reel, but I noticed on their website that they have the same reel I got with a combo (Shimano Sidestab 2500RE) on sale for the same price. I really enjoy it...might be worth checking out?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 PM

I have a spinning combo from CT now. Its ok but im gonna try a spincast reel. Whats the pros and cons? Is it just personal preference between spin and spincast?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM

For me it's a personal preference thing...I find it more comfortable to have the reel under the rod.

That being said, I think the spincast reels are a little simpler to use overall, and are less prone to getting tangled up than spinning reels. You don't have to worry about holding the line when you cast, or slack line getting tangled up on retrieval.

In the end, both should give you roughly the same result. If you already have a spinning reel and want to give a spincast a shot then I say go for it! You won't know which you prefer until you've tried both

...at least that's my take on the subject
Old 07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
brook trout

the rod n reel combo i got has a cork handle its 6,6 tall sale for 9.95 vs 34$ not sure what pund test this line is but is good. from canadian tire better herry cause once national fishing week is over sale is gone.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
brook trout

the rod n reel combo i got has a cork handle its 6,6 tall sale for 9.95 vs 34$ not sure what pund test this line is but is good. from canadian tire better herry cause once national fishing week is over sale is gone. from sherwood park brand is zebco