Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Banned

Default Many banned or suspended!?

I was looking at old threads and lots of guys that have over 1000 posts or have been here for the past 10 years are either all banned or suspended. What is going on?! Something I don't know about? Haha
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 PM

I could tell ya the answer to that but I bet I would be banned by tomorrow..... and that isn't a joke either
Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 PM

So cynical Nube.
It's like teaching kids how to play in the sandbox. Rules are simple
Old 03-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Banned

I am surprised to see Waterninja is one
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Banned

Wow. didn't notice that waterninja got banned. Lot's of good characters being disappeared. Too bad.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM

It's all about playing nice, keeping your head down....and when you can't do that at least be so outrageously funny that the mods spit a bit of coffee on their keyboards.

Trust me.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Wow. didn't notice that waterninja got banned. Lot's of good characters being disappeared. Too bad.
Waterninja is not banned he is suspended .
Cat
Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I am surprised to see Waterninja is one
He got pretty nasty on the outfitter thread, pretty sure that got him a time out.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM

I think Catnthehat does a good job of moderating.

I feel that perhaps those who are all derrière bruised, should maybe read the big banner at the top of the page. How some of these threads even remotely tie into the founding premis of this board is mind boggling.

Don't like how this place is managed, look over there... it's the door.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
So cynical Nube.
It's like teaching kids how to play in the sandbox. Rules are simple
Never had an issue with the way you Mod. I think you are pretty fair.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Ernest goes to camp

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 AM

It seems to me that the Mods let quite a bit go on here. You really need to be colouring well outside the lines to even attract their attention. Having been offside on occasion I also received fair warning. What is it some folks don't understand?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 PM

Default ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I could tell ya the answer to that but I bet I would be banned by tomorrow..... and that isn't a joke either
X2
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Do the crime do the time....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Stay outta the gutter and back alleys, thus staying clear of the penalty box, or ban camp.

Seems pretty simple to me.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I was looking at old threads and lots of guys that have over 1000 posts or have been here for the past 10 years are either all banned or suspended. What is going on?! Something I don't know about? Haha
Its kind of like if you were to come over to my house

My house , my rules ; follow the rules , stay as long as you like and have a nice visit. If you choose not to follow the rules please feel free to leave or i will remove you

Its not rocket science
Old 03-10-2017, 09:42 AM

The forum is privately owned, so the owner gets to set the rules, and to choose who he wants to enforce them, so if you can't accept that, you are free to join another forum, or start your own forum. Some people have been banned here and elsewhere, under several usernames, and other people came here after being banned elsewhere, so it's not that this forum is any different than most as far as banning goes. And if it seems like a moderator is letting his emotions effect his actions, just remember, the mods are humans, and that is part of being human.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Is there a list of bad boys or do you just wake up one day and you're there? I noticed last week Grizz was suspended but could still play in the sandbox. Are there carved stone tablets somewhere that explain the lines not to cross and the severity of the punishment?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Is there a list of bad boys or do you just wake up one day and you're there? I noticed last week Grizz was suspended but could still play in the sandbox. Are there carved stone tablets somewhere that explain the lines not to cross and the severity of the punishment?
Really, is that a serious question?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Listed as a sticky on all categories except buy and sell. Its management’s discretion on how points are awarded. We as unofficial stake holders can influence through participation.

I like the rules unfortunately I will and have been guilty.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Moderating is thankless work....not my cup of tea but I surely appreciate those that take time out of their lives to do it for the benefit of all (or most).
Old 03-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Really, is that a serious question?
I've read the rules and think I abide by them, I guess what I'm asking is how do I know why SO&SO got banned or suspended. You know that old saying "Learn from others mistakes"
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 AM

In the last month or so it appears alot of users get angry right quick.
Cabin fever?

The Cook, in the general section at the top is a sticky with the rules. No guidelines for what you will get for infractions. Mod discreation on that .

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
In the last month or so it appears alot of users get angry right quick.
Cabin fever?

The Cook, in the general section at the top is a sticky with the rules. No guidelines for what you will get for infractions. Mod discreation on that .

MAC
I think the last month has been calmer than Ive seen it in years
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You pay to be here?
That's interesting.........
Cat
Nope. But some of us have been long-term subscribers to AO magazine and have been handing our money over to Rob for years. It's a little frustrating to be treated in a petty manner here. I'm not saying to ignore boorish behavior, but perhaps admin and mods should realize that some members actually ARE paying customers. Your comment above suggests forum members aren't thought of that way. Frankly, I thought long and hard about renewing my subscription a couple weeks ago, and it had nothing to do with the publication itself. It had to do with the interaction I've had here on the forum.

With regard to Mods participating in and shutting down threads and the criticism voiced earlier about it, Mods have to be careful.. It often LOOKS like they are shutting down things when they encounter opinions not in agreement with their own (I don't know that this is true at all. It can just have the appearance of this). I think it's an art to be able to participate and moderate at the same time. If a Mod is going to participate in a thread, perhaps they need to be more generous about letting it run on or refrain a bit more from jumping in and saying someone else's post is a derail. Threads are organic things. They are going to branch off in different ways. If no one else is interested in that particular branch, it dies quickly on it's own.

So let me also offer a compliment. Insults and truly offensive behavior is jumped on much faster now. Two thumbs up for that. I've learned some things personally from the "corrections" I've received over the years as well. And it's true nobody hass a "right" to be here. We all just need to try to get along.

Ok, now lets all hold hands and.... LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-10-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nope. But some of us have been long-term subscribers to AO magazine and have been handing our money over to Rob for years. It's a little frustrating to be treated in a petty manner here. I'm not saying to ignore boorish behavior, but perhaps admin and mods should realize that some members actually ARE paying customers. Your comment above suggests forum members aren't thought of that way. Frankly, I thought long and hard about renewing my subscription a couple weeks ago, and it had nothing to do with the publication itself. It had to do with the interaction I've had here on the forum.

With regard to Mods participating in and shutting down threads and the criticism voiced earlier about it, Mods have to be careful.. It often LOOKS like they are shutting down things when they encounter opinions not in agreement with their own (I don't know that this is true at all. It can just have the appearance of this). I think it's an art to be able to participate and moderate at the same time. If a Mod is going to participate in a thread, perhaps they need to be more generous about letting it run on or refrain a bit more from jumping in and saying someone else's post is a derail. Threads are organic things. They are going to branch off in different ways. If no one else is interested in that particular branch, it dies quickly on it's own.

So let me also offer a compliment. Insults and truly offensive behavior is jumped on much faster now. Two thumbs up for that. I've learned some things personally from the "corrections" I've received over the years as well.
good post I to support the magazine
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Don't count Rob , you are a sponser , makes a difference , sponsers don't get suspended.
If that was true would it not say SPONSOR under my name like all the other sponsors who have a specific area for advertising under sponsor forums?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nope. But some of us have been long-term subscribers to AO magazine and have been handing our money over to Rob for years. It's a little frustrating to be treated in a petty manner here. I'm not saying to ignore boorish behavior, but perhaps admin and mods should realize that some members actually ARE paying customers. Your comment above suggests forum members aren't thought of that way. Frankly, I thought long and hard about renewing my subscription a couple weeks ago, and it had nothing to do with the publication itself. It had to do with the interaction I've had here on the forum. Something to chew on.

So let me also offer a compliment. Insults and truly offensive behavior is jumped on much faster now. Two thumbs up for that. I've learned some things personally from the "corrections" over the years as well.
No offence at al but I think companies like this one need our help more than ever. True Outdoors people, hunters, fishers, trappers, backcountry campers, etc are getting beat up on like never before. Magazines, etc like this that are like minded help us all in many seen and unseen ways. A little hurt feelings for a few days shouldn't change that. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Depends who you are. Nube was banned once, but he got to come back and play in the sandbox again, not sure how that happens, Oh Ya I remember
Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Some of the former mods are sitting back reading this thread having a good chuckle right now.
Oh they won't say anything. But they are watching..

Over 10 years with the forum and only had one warning because I told a "blonde" joke.
And I know it was a joke that I got the warning. The mods can be cool guys as well.

I like the fact and respect the fact that some of them can be part of the conversation and interject when required.
It is an art.
I would like to see more of it.

If a suspension is given, I'm sure it was earned.

Just about time for us all to get back outside and apply sunblock liberally.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Closed Thread